HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:04 PM
Ocala, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
Build Log
Dumas 17.5" F4F Wildcat

seen several models converted in this size frame just no F4F, specificaly not a Dumas model. Doing it agin I would build differently and I could save some weight for sure. I am wondering what power system and servos to use?

Thinking the Hobby King AP03 or the AP05(I think AP05 would be more than adequate for this plane but would let me upgrade to another airframe in the future?) No retracts, just a belly lander- Ail, Ele, Throt.

thoughts on servos? the falcon microservos look pretty nice~

everything is framed up and covering has started.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8_652341_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1553850_n.jpg
LoneRanger is offline Find More Posts by LoneRanger
Last edited by LoneRanger; Jun 28, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: updated title to "Build Log"
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
That looks really, really good! I think there is one major issue on the wing strength though. You should really continue both of the top spars so they connect in the center part of the wing. Too much up elevator would cause rib no 2 to fail, resulting in a crash. I've attached a picture so you can see what I mean. This is a simple mod that would add almost no weight at all but it could mean life or death of this model .

Well, as for gear, I think maybe a spektrum brick would do fine? Or a light receiver with small linear servos.
Truckerboy is offline Find More Posts by Truckerboy
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:21 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Truckerboy,

Is that a dowel in there? If it is, do you think that he still needs the center spars?

-PC49
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:32 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49 View Post
Truckerboy,

Is that a dowel in there? If it is, do you think that he still needs the center spars?

-PC49
Yes, one should tie the two wing together as Truckerboy shows (spar to spar). Not spar rib dowel rib spar. The question I'd ask is why one would use the dowel?
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Last edited by Konrad; Jun 16, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:41 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Yes, one should tie the two wing together as Truckerboy shows (spar to spar). Not spar rib dowel rib spar. The question I'd ask is why one would use the dowel?
I'm sure you've got other ideas, but it would function the same as the so-called "cabin spreaders" do in high wing airplanes. I don't think that you would need it though since the airframe takes that stress when the wing is installed in the fuselage.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
No, these center spars are for flight loads. The "cabin spreaders" are for crash loads. These are same loads for high, mid and low winged aircraft.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,651 Posts
So the cabin spreaders don't work in compression the same way that the center spars do?
Last edited by PiperCub49; Jun 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Yes, they do work in compression. It is just that they work 90 to the flight loads
This is a good discussion for your thread.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:23 PM
Ocala, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic, that is not a dowel it is a 1/8th x 1/16th strip. I am going to connect the wings as you showed! I was waiting on servos and what not as it makes it easier to install w/o thoes in the way! I would like to use my Hitec flash 4 radio (I havent converted to the new shifting radios yet) and I would like to use the smallest regular servos I can find-

lots of talk about spars and spreaders but not so much on motor, servos, and recievers? lol if a brick would work I would deffinaetly entertain using it- again thanks for the help!

L.R.

p.s. the whole thing is covered now and awaiting electrics. I sure wish I had a digital scale, anybody know where to get a decent one w/o breaking the bank?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ocala, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5989171_n.jpg

sorry I am not too good at posting images!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:10 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
lol lil bit off topic but i saw ur home town hehe where u live in ocala
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ocala, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
I grew up in Belleview / Dunnellon. My wife and I built a house north of town in Williston now.

L.R.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:38 PM
Joined Oct 2009
264 Posts
Looks nice! Are you going to paint it too?

I think the hobbyking linear servos (the old ones with a standard connector) would work fine:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s....1g_%28Left%29

If you want micro JST connector then look at this:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...ght_%28Left%29

I've got a bunch of the 1.7g servos and they seem to work good at 5v, even though they are rated for 1s operation. Beware though, as they are mechanically of mixed quality. I bought a bunch of them so I could sort out the best ones to use in planes and the worst ones to be used as spare parts.
Truckerboy is offline Find More Posts by Truckerboy
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:17 AM
Ocala, Fl
Joined Jan 2002
131 Posts
honestly I could only use one linear servo for the elevator the ailerons are setup to be a conventional push pull set up so I need a small servo. It would seem that quality is a huge issue with things from HK, so I dont know if I am real comfortable ordering just one servo to get it and find out it isnt going to cut it. Allthough they are cheap, price isnt my top concern. I'll gladly spend 30 bucks on a good servo and know I am getting some quality. I have read that thier AP03 and AP05 motors are great, which is why I had them at the top of my list.

now, back to motor, battery, and servo suggestions?

L.R.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts

Just use the [ img ] tag and the pictures post fine (Edit to replace url with img)
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN