HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2008
105 Posts
Discussion
skywing foamies

Hi everyone, i have seen a few threads for skywing foamies, like the sbach. does anyone know what the website is to purchase one or learn more?
ianjdixon is offline Find More Posts by ianjdixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:41 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjdixon View Post
Hi everyone, i have seen a few threads for skywing foamies, like the sbach. does anyone know what the website is to purchase one or learn more?

Yes, you can buy some Skywing planes from www.bestvaluerc.com. The Sbach is in production and should be available for purchase in a week or so if all goes well. There's plenty of info on the Skywing threads, but at this stage I am unaware of a Skywing website.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
105 Posts
i am trying to choose between a skywing s bach and an RCFactory SU-29. What do you think?? is one more durable than the other?? one has a full 3 dimensional fuselage and the other is a silouette cut out. what do you all think??
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:52 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjdixon View Post
i am trying to choose between a skywing s bach and an RCFactory SU-29. What do you think?? is one more durable than the other?? one has a full 3 dimensional fuselage and the other is a silouette cut out. what do you all think??
I don't have an RC Factory SU-29 but I've had an RC Factory Flash and an RC Factory Yak 54 and I also have a Hyperion Sniper (full EPP version).

The Sbach and the SU-29 are in different weight classes. The Sbach will likely be 750g-800g AUW. The SU-29 will likely be 420g-520g AUW if it's anything like the other RC Factory planes I've tried.

At this stage I doubt you'll get many people that can give you their opinion based on first-hand experience since I believe that I have the only Sbach that's outside of China and mine is a prototype. The production kits have some improvements that I think are worthwhile. You can pre-order now at www.bestvaluerc.com for an expected stock availability of next week.

Since I don't have an RC Factory Su-29 I can't comment on it based on first-hand experience. I'll speculate though ; if it's anything like my RC Factory Yak 54 then it will fly really well, but I prefer other planes in that 420g-520g weight class. Some people prefer the RC Factory planes in that class. I am not aware of too many people that have owned a vast number of the alternatives, so bare that in mind if you get more responses recommending the RC Factory planes. They are good planes, as too are many alternatives, but some of those alternatives don't get the recognition that perhaps they should. I suspect this is due to a preference amonst many US-based pilots to buy a product locally rather than from overseas. I am aware of a number of US-based pilots that have bought some alternative planes from overseas and have been very pleased with their performance. Also consider that how a pilot feels about a certain plane is influenced by their flying style and experience.

I currently have 3 Skywing planes and I love them all. 2 of them are in the same weight class as the RC Factory planes. My other Skywing plane is the Sbach. The closest alternative to the Sbach that I own would be the Kalteisen EPP Extra 260 or Kalteisen Katana, but the Sbach has a much fast roll rate which suits my flying style better, so I prefer the Sbach to my Kalteisen planes.

As for durability, both planes should be easily repairable due to their construction style. It will be easier to work on the profile style of the RC Factory planes, but non-profile EPP planes are not difficult to repair. Both planes should be quite durable. Lighter planes generally survive better in a crash. In my experience, if you run a prop saver setup on an plane then the nose area suffers less damage. The RC Factory planes are easily within the limits of prop saver power levels. The Sbach is too powerful for a prop saver if you aim for a similar thrust to weight ratio as on an RC Factory plane, but I ran my protype Sbach on a low powered setup using a prop saver in the videos I have posted. Hope that helps....
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
Joined Sep 2008
105 Posts
Thank you so so much for the reply. The big problem is that i want both!! but i can't have both. What a crappy world we live in. I appreciate the insight and i didn't realize that there was such a large weight difference between both planes.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 03:36 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
The other option that you might want to look at would be the Skywing Tough. Made by the same people producing the Sbach, and while not a true profile, it is in the same weight class as the RC Factory, and cheaper than both options you are already considering. I believe the Tough shipped to the US comes to around $70.

I just recently purchased a Tough, and am very pleased with it as it's my first 3D plane. Like groovejet was saying, lighter planes are going to survive crashes much better.
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2008
105 Posts
i will definitely look into it! there are so many choices!