HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:03 AM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Time for me to get my plug organised I think Bret.
Sounds like a great idea. I hope this thread has documented enough of the process for you. If not please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
I still don;t get how you get the glass on so fast. Yesterday I did my 3 coats of surface coat and on the 3rd coat i immediately laid 3oz glass on to eliminate air bubbles. Then After that tacked up I did 2 layers of 5oz. That's all I could get done. I am now doing 5 layers of 10 oz. I have to let them sit an hour in between each layer because they shift too much if I do more than one at a time. Even when doing the 5oz I get air bubbles if I do 2 layers at once.

How many you doing at a time? Before letting the epoxy cure for a bit?

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
I haven't been motivated like this on a molded project for some time. Its partly because I've had few opportunities to build over the last 2 years so I ain't taking this time for granted. The thought of flying a micro molded sport jet with great performance also keeps me going!
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I still don;t get how you get the glass on so fast. Yesterday I did my 3 coats of surface coat and on the 3rd coat i immediately laid 3oz glass on to eliminate air bubbles. Then After that tacked up I did 2 layers of 5oz. That's all I could get done. I am now doing 5 layers of 10 oz. I have to let them sit an hour in between each layer because they shift too much if I do more than one at a time. Even when doing the 5oz I get air bubbles if I do 2 layers at once.

How many you doing at a time? Before letting the epoxy cure for a bit?

Brian
Brian,

Once the glassing process is started I don't stop, or intentionally allow the epoxy to get tacky till its done. I believe the fact that my lay-up schedule (4 layers of: 2, 4, 6, and 10oz) is more gradual than yours (a layer of 3oz, 2 layers of 5oz, and 5 layers of 10 oz) in building up thickness might explain why I am continually able to lay down glass. Don't get me wrong, bubbles do occur but usually I am able to work them out and keep moving forward. I never do more than one layer at a time. If the glass is too thick for the contour then your right that the only way to get it to stay put is to wait till the epoxy is tacky....I personally hate waiting. I would suggest copying my lay-up schedule or something close to it. It might be more layers but it makes the whole process much more enjoyable. From the time the last gel coat layer was ready to go, I spent between 4-5 hours laying on glass.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:33 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Well if you look at my canopy hatch, the bottom edge is a 90 degree bend and the front and rear lip are also 90 degrees. The top of the canopy is easy. Its the 90 degree corners giving me trouble.

Quote:
Brian,

Once the glassing process is started I don't stop, or intentionally allow the epoxy to get tacky till its done. I believe the fact that my lay-up schedule (4 layers of: 2, 4, 6, and 10oz) is more gradual than yours (a layer of 3oz, 2 layers of 5oz, and 5 layers of 10 oz) in building up thickness might explain why I am continually able to lay down glass. Don't get me wrong, bubbles do occur but usually I am able to work them out and keep moving forward. I never do more than one layer at a time. If the glass is too thick for the contour then your right that the only way to get it to stay put is to wait till the epoxy is tacky....I personally hate waiting. I would suggest copying my lay-up schedule or something close to it. It might be more layers but it makes the whole process much more enjoyable. From the time the last gel coat layer was ready to go, I spent between 4-5 hours laying on glass.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:35 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Well if you look at my canopy hatch, the bottom edge is a 90 degree bend and the front and rear lip are also 90 degrees. The top of the canopy is easy. Its the 90 degree corners giving me trouble.
Yes, and its the sharpness of that 90 degree edge. If it was a rounded 90 degree corner an inch in diameter, the 10 oz glass would have no problem conforming.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:57 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
good point! I'll remember that when i do the fuse. It sucks cause i have to wait for it to get taky and push it it together or it pulls away from the edge.

Brian

Quote:
Yes, and its the sharpness of that 90 degree edge. If it was a rounded 90 degree corner an inch in diameter, the 10 oz glass would have no problem conforming.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:17 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,848 Posts
whos panther is that? i assume thats a yellow P-38? i also see a P-51, FW-190, corsair, GEE BEE(you still ahve that!!!!! that thing flew sweet!) and a number of other sweet builds!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
CN,

The panther is a joint project. Several years ago we made the plug based off of Ziroli plans. The plan was to go turbine power but now it could also be EDF. Its a big airframe.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
How long you going to wait before pulling the plug out of the mold?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
The completed Electrolyte fuselage mold

Here she is. The plug and mold came apart fine. There was a little paint that stuck to the mold but it came off easily with some acetone. I also cleaned up the wingsaddle area of the mold. Later today I'll polish and wax the mold to make her shiny again. I'm very happy that my efforts on the plug have now been saved in the form of this mold. The mold turned out as planned so its time to relax, have a beer, and move on to the next stage of this project.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 02:57 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,125 Posts
Hi Bret,

Its been a while since I`ve heard from you. At the moment I`m sitting in a tent at the top of the Greenland Icecap. I`m flying UAV`s at an American base called Summit Camp.

I just wanted to say that this is a great project (as all of your projects). I whish you good luck with the prototype. Btw. I`ve been thinking about a similar project and have a small A4 Skyhawk for a 50mm fan on the drawing board.

Best regards.

Kjell.
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:10 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
What do you do if it was the first half of the mold and the plug needed a good perpendicular heave to get out Bret?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:52 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,904 Posts
Looks good man! I assume you had to pull it straight out because of the wing and stab saddles right? I will have the same issue with mine.

Quote:
Here she is. The plug and mold came apart fine. There was a little paint that stuck to the mold but it came off easily with some acetone. I also cleaned up the wingsaddle area of the mold. Later today I'll polish and wax the mold to make her shiny again. I'm very happy that my efforts on the plug have now been saved in the form of this mold. The mold turned out as planned so its time to relax, have a beer, and move on to the next stage of this project.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:54 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,848 Posts
lay one up an! sweeeeet!

zroli panther, now that is a nice flying model.would love to see that get done!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:48 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,862 Posts
Really fine looking mold.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP