HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:54 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1966C150F View Post
It was a great article and very glad that Fly RC is doing a scratch build article. Hope you guys can persuade them to do more.
Phil Wesley
Phil,

I'm glad you enjoyed the article and thank you for the feedback. As you saw, many molding steps were described in a relatively short amount of space so I was a bit concerned that it would be a difficult read. So far so good though. Don't forget about next month...more info on airframe construction and currently available micro EDF power systems.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
This is great exposure for the sport for sure! Well done Bret.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:20 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
I'm flying to the USA next weekend, I'll definitely buy the mag when I'm there!
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
81 Posts
Bret,
Not difficult to read at all. You did an excellent job.
Ever thought of starting your own magazine?
A1966C150F is offline Find More Posts by A1966C150F
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:09 AM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
This is great exposure for the sport for sure! Well done Bret.
Thats the idea...hopefully it works! Your power system piece next month will be a great complement to the construction article!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla View Post
I'm flying to the USA next weekend, I'll definitely buy the mag when I'm there!
Cool, where are you headed? Hopefully by next week the May issue will be in most book stores like Barnes and Nobles...I'm still waiting to get my own copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1966C150F View Post
Bret,
Not difficult to read at all. You did an excellent job.
Ever thought of starting your own magazine?
Haha now thats funny! The editors at FlyRC are largely responsible for making the article easy to read!!!
Old Mar 03, 2011, 04:04 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Cool, where are you headed? Hopefully by next week the May issue will be in most book stores like Barnes and Nobles...I'm still waiting to get my own copy.
I'm going to:
Washington DC
Columbus/Athens, Ohio
Albuquerque/Socorro, New Mexico
Charlottesville, Virginia / Green Bank, West Virginia

I'm working on these

Kat-7/Meerkat/SKA

I'm going to the States to visit a supplier and these:

VLA

Green Bank Telescope
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
I have been dreaming of a 30-40mm Micro Sport jet with a fiberglass fuselage and ducting for some time. Mcross and Nitrocharged have already demonstrated that 30mm EDF systems can provide enough power for high performance so finally its time to build a an equally capable jet-like airframe. I love scale but decided a sport scale fuselage would be best for a small jet designed for performance and precision flying. The plug is well underway and so far it captures the look I was hoping for. I can't wait to get this fuse molded
Can you remember how heavy the prototype was in balsa ? I've been thinking about building something using good old balsa and ply at this size for 40mm EDF . With 1 / 64 birch ply and soft 1/8 balsa it might be possible .
I'm just a bit fed up with dinging foam models every other landing , it never happened when I flew balsa / ply models 25 years ago !!
FANtastic is offline Find More Posts by FANtastic
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:48 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Hey MT,
I've seen some of those dishes in the movie "Contact". Hopefully you get time to go to the air and space museum at Dulles and on the D.C. mall. Some of my favorite places on earth!

FANtastic,
I never weighed the plug since it was never intended to fly but the weight was not a major issue. If you wanted to do a 40mm balsa sport jet I would recommend making it a little bigger than the Electrolyte. The thickness of the balsa wood would be an issue....so make it a little bigger to give some more space.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
so...check this out. a work buddy of mine, who was involved with F-20 display models back in the 80's gave me this "hard part" display model, made of very thick fiberglass. its a exact scale model. lacks inlet lips and splitters, but thats no big deal i dont plan to do composite wings/stabs, but probably the vert. its only a little larger than the electrolyte, and should ahve alot more room inside. should weight much more if we lay it up right. soon as i finish some of my bigger projects, ill start the mold process. it will of course have a molded hatch, and wing tray. . should be a cool project for those 300-400W systems. has almost as much wing as the electrolyte, but alot of lifting area on the fuse...ive done a number of F-5/F-20's and all flew great with scale wings. (see my F-5 in the edf issue of fly rc) wont be as fast as the electrolyte, but should be pretty sweet. should be a way to put retracts in it micro electric gear anybody?

oh its also missing a small portion of the afterburner
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 04, 2011, 01:56 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
CN - most of the hard works done for you!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:09 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
hey dave....does the nose on the electrolyte look familiar to you? i need to fix it up today. need to make some type of new stab control horn, as the old noe broke on a failed hand launch. launching the electrolyte is about the only time i ever want tons of wind when its not there...its a real piece of work to throw.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 04, 2011, 10:47 AM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Thinking ahead to an Electrolyte II I'm considering incorporating a slide on nose into the mold like the F5B sailplanes. If the nose gets dorked it would be easier to just replace the part rather than repair the fuse. This project is still far from over!
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Hey MT,
I've seen some of those dishes in the movie "Contact". Hopefully you get time to go to the air and space museum at Dulles and on the D.C. mall. Some of my favorite places on earth!
I've got a whole day set aside for that!
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:19 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,867 Posts
Second that - and whatever you do don't miss the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center just because it isn't in the main Museum complex. It is absolutely worth the trip to Dulles or arranging your travel connection around a few hour break at the airport. In fact if you are serious about aircraft (joke!) and you could only visit one, I would chose the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.

Have a great trip.
Quote:
Hopefully you get time to go to the air and space museum at Dulles and on the D.C. mall. Some of my favorite places on earth!
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,060 Posts
My colleague that is going with doesn't fly RC, but he really like planes, so he made sure our accommodation is right next to Dulles. He did mention something about the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center