SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:49 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
ill get a measurement later, im at my parents, so i cant help right now.

well.....todays weather was a little too good!!! almost no wind all day.....thats great for models with landing gear.....but not for heavy hand launch jets all it takes is a 5mph head wind, and my little jets fly right from my hand....but without wind....its a little rough. i had 1 botched HL with my T-33, but it just settled back to the grass.....the first launch with the 33 was pretty damn ugly, but got into air. one of my HL's with the electrolyte was freakin picture perfect....cause i had a decent head wind.....the other ones were mostly hairy! i tried to throw it real hard once, and it went inverted.....i tried to recover, and snapped back upside down, then rolled flat, and landed in grass. the dead calm hand launch is not a smart idea. i also had 2 cart wheel landings.....because i tried to flare too much, and it would snap and catch a wing tip....so i got some body work on the nose to do. i had a couple killer smooth landings with it though. with the 1050's in it, its 14.5oz, and really carries weight in the glide....aka.....its hard to get it to slow down. with the 750 packs, its 13oz, and its easier to land. performance was awsome, and i really enjoyed flying it. poor Jon though....that guy tried his damndest to get inflight pics of this thing....even me flying it just above stall speed was hard enough for him to get pics. but, it was a great day, and i got 2 sweet flights on my T-33.....man i love that thing. couldnt even hear it 1/2 the time its so quiet. love the way it flies. i hope jon didnt hit too much traffic on his way to the hotel so he can get something up tonight. thanks again jon, we had a sweet day of flying!!!!! love the electrolyte. needs a couple pieces of ply in the fwd fuse. seems to be the weak spot in the less than perfect landings.......

so what happened nitro?

ps.....got my blades today.. THANKS!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
Ody: No, the same as CN's. pdawgs are swept back more.

CN: I was real nose heavy - no coming back even with full up elevator so in she went. Did some forward fuse crumpling and snapped off a wing halve.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:19 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
ouch dude......if theres anybody that could fix it....its you. how much throw do you have.....remember....ive got a full flying stab with lots of power on it....mine doent really fly nose heavy, but i do have some up trim. might be a tiny bit on the nose heavy side, but flies very stable. ill get a measurement later.....are your wings swept exactly like mine....or???
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:21 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
That sucks.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
jon brought up a great point, we should be using the great planes evader bungee launcher for these.....i think im going to try to get one, cause im tired of botched up HL's.....thats why i stopped flying HL edf's a while ago....just recently got back into them.....and remember now that i hate throwing models
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Dave,

If you send me the root cord width, tip cord width, panel length (1/2 wingspan), and sweep in distance, measure front tip of root rib to front edge of tip rib, I'll plug it into my airfoil program and give you a fairly reliable CG measurement. Use inches please! Then we can always convert to mm.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:53 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
ive got the cg dialed on mine, ill have it for ya in a hour or less
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:05 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
My launch was flawless. The finger grip worked brilliantly. I was really impressed with the way it took to the sky...and then down...down...down... boink....
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:16 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
My launch was flawless. The finger grip worked brilliantly. I was really impressed with the way it took to the sky...and then down...down...down... boink....

How many clicks of up-elevator?
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:28 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,530 Posts
Wow...lots of Electrolyte news coming in from all over the world! CN & NC, You guys are both champs for helping with this project...thanks so much. It's a bummer that not all test flights can be perfect but fortunately molds make the pain of a crack up a little easier to handle. Hopefully there is some video to analyze? I only hope nc still has some energy to work on a version 2?

Sounds like a wonderful day at the basin for cn and bajora. CN's T-33 and Electrolyte photo looks great. Sweet pair of scale and sport. I'm super happy that Jon at least got the opportunity to go to the basin and see Brent's Electrolyte fly even if the pics don't workout. For some reasons my small speed projects going back to MWE 2007 never really cooperate with Jon's camera...lol.

Still waiting to process all the information coming in from today...
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:02 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
dave, my CG is exactly 2" from the LE/fuse intersection. so if your sweep is close to mine, that should help you. i have to push my 1050's just about as far back as they go to get that cg. the 750's go right in the center of the canopy hatch. i didnt see a ton of differance in performance between the 750's and 1050's.....other than a tiny more flat speed, and higher power at end of flights, the 750's still worked great. they are only 20c, i need to get some 30C 750's. the 1050's arnt worth the extra 1.5oz. it landed nicer with the 750's, and even hand launches a little better with the 750's. i do have to warm them up first in my pockets. they dont make much power cold. just talked to jon, he at the hotel by now, and going through pics he also got some stellar P-51 and cougar shots....i was doing the limbo with the cougar....he got some pretty good shots.....how low can you go???
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,695 Posts
What a fine day to fly today was! It was great to see Brent again ... been too many years since he and I just flew and talked planes together.

He brought a car load of cool stuff to try and get media of. (What a CAR too!) I got more than a few photos of the Electrolyte that looked like this one. But I'll wade through them and see if I can find a few decent ones to up here.

You ought to see Brent hand launch this thing. I see the reason for the plumber now ... he really winds up and gives it a heckuva toss! It makes most major league pitchers look soft.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:24 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
NC, I just did the numbers for Pdawg's wings. 49% of the root chord aft of the LE should give you around 10% static margin, slightly more depending on the tail volume.

If your wings are different, flick me a top-down photo of the whole plane (ideally, just the wing will suffice though) and I'll re-run the numbers, and post up the method for the rest...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:50 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,695 Posts
For starters, here are a few static photos and a pretty decent series of launch photos too
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:51 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
MT: I gave it 4 click of up. I just took a photo of it(the up elevator) that I will post with the video.

pdawg: Plenty of energy here. If you want a look at determination, surf over to my 7 rebuilds I did to my F35. Once that died, I started another and rebuilt that a few times too.

CN: thanks - seems I was way nose heavy. If I go by Ody's post - I was way off the mark.

I'm busy repairing it but I won't be able to get these lipo's back far enough to get the CG. I don't have any other suitable smaller lipo's here. My gremlins want to know why my green airplane looks 'very different' at the moment... LOL