SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:00 AM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
CN,
We need to get you (and me) a 6000-7000 kv 20mm motor. That way you can get your rpms from 3s and not need to carry that additional motor and lipo weight. I have one of those KMS motors....I remember it feeling very heavy! I wonder if Lightflight would consider making a higher kv version of their 20mm ARC motor line. Their ARC 130 (great Micro Stinger motor) has a 4600 kv but its not high enough IMO .

I actually e-mailed them about that (and a 12mm line) a couple days ago. Maybe if enough of us e-mail them they will consider it.
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:21 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
It is good to see you building Bret!

What is the thickness of that wing?
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:22 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
[QUOTE=MegaTesla;16981510]Hobbypartz sells a 2030 7800kv for $9.70.

Did you test this 7800 kv inrunner ? I'm curious to know how it works in the edf40... Hope it'll work, i'd prefer to work with a 3s pack int fighter i'm working on...
GGRN is offline Find More Posts by GGRN
Last edited by GGRN; Jan 02, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:41 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Philippe, what thrust were you aiming for again please? I have a 3S unit I have made but not used as yet.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:55 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla View Post
It is good to see you building Bret!

What is the thickness of that wing?
I'm happy to building again also! The sheeted foam core wing really came together this weekend and now I'm weighing my options on how to mount the wing panels. Since I'm traveling they need to be removable. Lots of idea but haven't made a final decision.

You happened to ask about the core thickness at the perfect time. To regress slightly I cut these cores after the unsuccessful 30mm powered prototype with the plank depron wing. The plank wing version never got going fast enough for it's non lifting airfoil...it was flying with a constant positive angle of attack till it eventually stalled and went in. So basically this wing was intended to be sport airfoil that provided lift and not one intended for top speed. This partially explains why CN is flying his Electrolyte at the hefty weight of 13 oz without too many problems associate with high wingloadings. So getting to your question, the thickest part of the wing at the root is 10/16" or 0.65" thick which translates to 12.5% which I consider thick. The molded wing(s) I'm working on are thinner but are still thick enough for wing servos.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Philippe, what thrust were you aiming for again please? I have a 3S unit I have made but not used as yet.
Ummm.....I need a 40mm unit badly...let's make a deal. I'm actually considering making my current electrolyte a pusher cause I don't have an adequate edf system for it.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
Quote:
So getting to your question, the thickest part of the wing at the root is 10/16" or 0.65" thick which translates to 12.5% which I consider thick.
I thought it looked a bit on the thick side

Quote:
The molded wing(s) I'm working on are thinner but are still thick enough for wing servos.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:31 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
In fact, i work on 2 possibilities : a delta winged fighter with 2 intakes and one "classical" with front intake. Both with long ducts and final weight around 350 grams (probably a bit more). so all the thrust i'll get will be welcome.
In the beginning of discharge, 3s 1050 mA and stock GWS BL edf 40 give 200 grams in my Hawk (2 intakes, 100% FS, exhaust 85% of FSA).
300+ grams (jet ready to fly, of course) should be great... Esp. for the deltawinged jet...
Last edited by GGRN; Jan 02, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRN View Post
In fact, i work on 2 possibilities : a delta winged fighter with 2 intakes and one "classical" with front intake....
Where are these build threads?
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
I'm also confused. I thought this was the Electrolyte thread

GGRN, I do not have any of those 7800kv motors.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:06 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
No buildthreads yet, i'm working on plans and searching the appropiate components to get the best result and choose between the 2 projects.
I've just been tempted by the discussion about motors, ducts etc... Didn't want to bore you guys, with my projects
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,483 Posts
People ask for build threads because they are interested...not bored. Your projects do deserve a thread of their own.
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:20 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
Just let me enough time to build something presentable...
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:22 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRN View Post
I've just been tempted by the discussion about motors, ducts etc... Didn't want to bore you guys, with my projects

For the past 2 hours I have been continuing my search for high kv inrunners that might be suitable for 40mm EDF use. I always looked on rc plane and rc car websites and shops, but never on rc boat sites... guess what? They might have just what we need! 20-22mm inrunners capable of 350-500W and some even come with 3mm shafts! (I don't want too talk to soon, but it seems that motors already exist that will kick the upcoming 20mm NEU motors in the behind. I'll keep you guys informed... )
Old Jan 02, 2011, 05:23 PM
One eyed Corsair
PARIS
Joined Jul 2005
2,314 Posts
Boat motors are often water-cooled...