SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:39 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,530 Posts
Here are some remaining pics from the test flight day. I like the landing pic but I'm sure it would haved looked ten times better had Jon Barnes been there. Maybe next time...
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:45 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts

Sounds like you might have to give kudos to the missus if you have all that play time...

I'm working on fitting the tail controls at the moment. A little tricky with anhedral elevators. I have it sorted and epoxied the first one(control rod) on last night. Bent the other control rod before I ran out of time for the evening. I got the servo to lie flat under the tail pipe (by cutting it into the bottom of the center piece) and arms to the side so it's all hidden inside. I'll post a photo when the other rod is epoxied on.

The closer this thing gets to finishing - the more it feels like a 40mm jet.... Hope the RPG comes through and scoots this thing along.

Nice photo's pdawg.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:06 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
The closer this thing gets to finishing - the more it feels like a 40mm jet....
Thats good to know! CN's 40mm powered Electrolyte had significantly improved acceleration on launch compared to the original 30mm powered prototype. My next one will definitely have a 40mm fan in it cause I'm having a hard time saving a significant amount of weight in the airframe. Tres made a nice chart comparing different 12mm inrunners. The 5800 kv inrunner and a 40mm GWS fan looks like a good starting point. It will use the same lipos as the 30mm fans so no additional weight but hopefully more thrust. That should make the launch easier!!!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Last edited by pdawg; Dec 13, 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,302 Posts
If trying to save weight, try a carbon disser pattern and light glass or aramid lay-up on the wing instead of the balss sheeting. It's light and strong enough for DLG's; it should work for this, too.

Also, Neu has a "upgraded" version of the Medusa 12mm motors available now. 2mm shaft, bigger bearings, etc.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:31 AM
speedin n da weeds :)
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Feb 2008
595 Posts
If you were to sale these what price would we be looking at -around about price??
sikky is offline Find More Posts by sikky
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
From the bowels of MI
Joined Apr 2004
751 Posts
Awesome little jet you have there. I really like the yellow/black.

I would definitely buy!
Wayno-san is offline Find More Posts by Wayno-san
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:36 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i got my rhino 30C 1050 2s packs in....they arnt much bigger than the 750's i had before....and i got the turnigy 18A esc. just barely fits......both these improvements(and the ability to run full timing without fear of blowing the esc(only using a 10A before...on 4s.....with 3 servos.... had one blow when i tried full timing....) ill have that soldered and test ran tonight........i think with these changes, i should be able to atleast get to 95mph. smoother passes will really help too....you cant see it in the vids, but i was fighting the ailerons back and forth, resulting in sloppy speed runs. the servos dont like to center well....
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:06 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
I test fitted a HK Nanotech 1000mah 4S lipo last night. It fits.

The decision has been made to go 40mm EDF after discussions with pdawg. I'm going to mount the 8 blader I have here.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 04:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I test fitted a HK Nanotech 1000mah 4S lipo last night. It fits.

The decision has been made to go 40mm EDF after discussions with pdawg. I'm going to mount the 8 blader I have here.
Great decision I'm sure since the testing so far showed the 40mm to really shine!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
Things I did today with the Electrolyte build

I cut the inlet ring away from the 40mm case which unfortunately let the case warp just enough to cause rubbing on one spot, so a patient sanding to the rotor tips to get it clear was done. Once that was sorted, I tidied up the rim of burs.

I made a quick and dirty plug for the duct tube using an old plastic hair products bottle, some 1mm balsa, some masking tape and a bit of plaster of paris.

I filled the bottle with plaster to hold it's cylindrical shape. Once I had the balsa shaped the way I needed it (the 1mm sheet brings the diameter to the same as the case and the next 1mm ring supplies the lip to slide over the intake ducts and fan case), glued around the bottle but not to it, I put a 'funny balloon' over it to act as the release and glassed it up. When it dries, I can remove the bottle, collapse the balsa and I'll be left with the tube ready for trimming. It took a very short time to make it.

Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:50 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
i need on of those rotors!

i installed the bigger esc, and packs tonight.....yeah...its pumping some air now! its late..so ill do some eflux testing tomorrow....
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:59 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
I think your eflux results will be impressive now Brent!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 02:26 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,933 Posts
"funny Balloon ......i dont even want to know
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:33 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
tested the new setup...med timing was better than high....makes me want to try low! heres the results......

eflux........(drum roll please...) 145mph....installed......i dont even want to know what it would be uninstalled! :O thats a 20mph eflux gain over the last packs/esc.....thats HUGE. there is tons of air coming out! :O

i need to run those numbers through stu's calc....

remember...t.hats installed! :O hand launch should NOT be a issue..... :O 100mph edf 40? no prob bob!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:15 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,486 Posts
If you mean me no problem, I never doubted it for a second! You 2 guys working on a project you knew it would be sweet AND fast!
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent