HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:23 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
380 Posts
Nice build! How much CA does it take to cover a model that size?
Sherlock is offline Find More Posts by Sherlock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 11:13 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
primer and red stuff

The Electrolyte plug is now primered . I spent a few hours today finishing up the glass work and getting some primer on it. In total it took less than a medium sized bottle of thin zap to glass this entire fuse. After sanding the fuse with some 220 and then 320 paper I put on the first coat of primer. After letting it dry I put on the Bondo Glazing Putty which we call "red stuff". This stuff is awesome becuase it dries fast and sands really well. My girlfriend says the red stuff smells and probably causes cancer. She's probably right but then again what doesn't cause cancer these days. Can't wait to sand off the red stuff in the morning.

CN,
I'll be be back in town after the 4th of July. I don't plan to outsource any more of my molds. It was a good experience but was more effort than it was worth.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:23 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Wow! Just with the primer on it - it looked so smooth. Hard to believe so many high spots were there once the putty got a good sanding!.

She looks real sharp pdawg.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:16 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
looks swseet bret! well....are you atleast going to make some for buds! i can do duct plugs whats cool about your plug, is that you can carve your tails/wing from 1/4 balsa, and make them any shape you want(or depron, whichever)
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:25 AM
Greenwood Indiana
Joined Jun 2004
746 Posts
Very nice jet, it should be a great flyer. I have one suggestion for the plug, extend the tailcone past the actual end and scribe a line where you will cut the tailcone off. It will make molding easier because there will not be the corner to fit the cloth in, just cut the cloth a little long and make a perfect triim to it after the jet is pulled from the mold.
danj31 is offline Find More Posts by danj31
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:07 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
NC,
It actually did look pretty smooth for a first coat of primer but I initially just red stuff the entire airframe to fill in the weave of the cloth. After that I will selectively red stuff areas that need additional work. THe second coat of primer is already drying

CN,
We can work something out once I get the molds finished. I'm glad you noticed that the fuselage is not restricted to one wing design. One goal was to keep the fuselage sleek yet provide the opportunity to easily test different wing planforms.

Dan,
Thanks for the input! Yes, I already have that in the plans. I actually do this for the backplate on all my prop airframes as well. In the case of the Micro Stinger it was 3 carfully placed nickels lol. The plan is to mold more than one tailcone for the Electrolyte depending on the diameter fan being used.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Surrey
Joined Aug 2002
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Fred,

Devmonkey,
Your fuse looks nice and will likely work with todays systems. It was probably a little ahead of its time. What is the fuselage length?
I'll dig out the molds this weekend and measure them, think it was basically the same size as the original nano bandit, maybe a tiny bit longer. I think I struggled to get a layup <20g which seemed rather a lot for the feigao 40mm ~80w setup I used to run. That was a hand layup in glass only (no carbon/kevlar) and without vacuum and peel ply, so could be made lighter and stronger.

Out of interest what is the 40mm power house setup in todays technology?

Cheers, Joe
devmonkey is offline Find More Posts by devmonkey
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:58 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
I'll dig out the molds this weekend and measure them, think it was basically the same size as the original nano bandit, maybe a tiny bit longer. I think I struggled to get a layup <20g which seemed rather a lot for the feigao 40mm ~80w setup I used to run. That was a hand layup in glass only (no carbon/kevlar) and without vacuum and peel ply, so could be made lighter and stronger.

Out of interest what is the 40mm power house setup in todays technology?

Cheers, Joe
Check this one out for sure, especially the videos done and check all the performance measuremnts!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1246593

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:46 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Man that looks very coool looks like a mico bandit

Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:48 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
[QUOTE=devmonkey;15370181]I'll dig out the molds this weekend and measure them, think it was basically the same size as the original nano bandit, maybe a tiny bit longer. I think I struggled to get a layup <20g which seemed rather a lot for the feigao 40mm ~80w setup I used to run. That was a hand layup in glass only (no carbon/kevlar) and without vacuum and peel ply, so could be made lighter and stronger.

Freddies on it.

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,308 Posts
Subscribing..............great project!

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Old Jun 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,558 Posts
Great to have you along for the ride Stegla! The plug is moving along nicely however today was humid and close to raining so I didn't add another coat of primer. With nothing to do I decided to try to make it look like an F-20 Tigershark. Not sure which looks better but it definitely does give the same fuselage another look.
Last edited by pdawg; Jun 22, 2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:32 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
the F-20 look is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

me wanty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
F-20 version would be faster, land quicker, higher wing loading but cool I'm sure. Opens one's eyes to variable perameters on all projects!

Almost rainy? Nebraska is flooding, Arizona is burning, California was given up upon, Oh well, hope you make some progress soon!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:00 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Very nice Pdawg! It's good to see micros moving into the composite era, one jet at a time!

Can't wait to see this flying - and also the moulding process
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis