HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i wonder what they use to release the mold from the painting in the mold .cant be wax as the paint would fish eye.cant be pva cause they were doing masking and stencils right in the mold
I think they use some sort or semi permanent like freekote
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:28 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,617 Posts
yes it would have to be somthing like that ...
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:22 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,471 Posts
I've been told its another release agent but it really doesn't apply to my projects since they are working with 2 part, high quality PPG paint. Maybe one day I will get that serious but for now I am perfectly happy having the parts primered outta the mold. Unless your planning to use super expensive high quality paint you might as well stick with primer in the molds. Anything inbetween (like aerosol paints) will be unreliable and cause you more work than painting afterwards. There is no shortcut here in my experience.....and many others.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,008 Posts
Quote:
i wonder what they use to release the mold from the painting in the mold .cant be wax as the paint would fish eye.cant be pva cause they were doing masking and stencils right in the mold
Frekote fisheyes far worse than wax and both are used for painting in the mold. You just have to do the first coats in a very fine mist. BTW, when I use rattle cans for in-mold painting, I have used wax only after it is well seasoned after 1/2 dozen pulls or so. This includes masking for multiple colors. I know of a few people who build pylon wings, and use multicolor stencils, like the Dolphin wax.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:26 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,617 Posts
some of the other guys are using a wax called "Dolphin wax" they said it does'nt fish eye....thats kinda funny when you think about it ...dolphin wax...no fish eyes...
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,976 Posts
nope, no fisheyes with Dolphin wax.. I sprayed it heavy with no tack coat and no fisheyes. Frekote takes practice and must be applied with several light coats.

Quote:
some of the other guys are using a wax called "Dolphin wax" they said it does'nt fish eye....thats kinda funny when you think about it ...dolphin wax...no fish eyes...
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 24, 2012, 09:00 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
Oh no! You didn't...?

Poor Nitro - doesn't know when to quit......

Resurrection has commenced.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Joined Jun 2011
229 Posts
build it 40mm now!
jahel is offline Find More Posts by jahel
Old May 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,471 Posts
Unbelievable NC! Somehow it still looks like an electrolyte after all those mishaps. What are your plans for her?
Old May 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
No mercy pdawg!

Still going to try a pusher version since all the gear is sitting on the bench ready to go again. I've been spurred on by Ozzi's latest tantrum video where his jet was doing the the same thing my EL was doing on launch.
Skyangel Mig-29 40mm EDF Conversion (9 min 48 sec)
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 25, 2012, 07:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Poor Nitro - doesn't know when to quit......

Resurrection has commenced.

Go for it Dave! Never give in! Yeah........

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 09, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,471 Posts
Ozzi's tantrum video is pretty hilarious!!! The launches looked picture perfect till the pitch over. Any idea why that happened? The foamies break so easily but at the same time thet are cheap and disposable so its easy to not care much! This video is a perfect example of the pros and cons of foamies.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
It looked like the rigging was way out or flimsiness in the controls?

Maybe there was lack of stiffness in the tailplane and the up elevator input twisted the tailplane in the opposite direction to give the pitch down?

Steve
stegla is online now Find More Posts by stegla
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:58 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
No mercy pdawg!

Still going to try a pusher version since all the gear is sitting on the bench ready to go again. I've been spurred on by Ozzi's latest tantrum video where his jet was doing the the same thing my EL was doing on launch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qskdiCyZ0
That made me laugh so hard I almost cried.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,471 Posts
I have a confession to make...I am not a light builder. There I said it! Most of my models are fast and I usually overlook weight saving for strength, speed, and a nice paint job. With that said the Black and yellow prototype flew fast but has a very narrow flight envelope....fast, fast, or fast. Its thin wing and heavy wing loading make it impressive in the air but it is no sport plane!

One goal for this recent trip home is to get the "Electra" Electrolyte flying. Additionally I wanted to keep her as light as possible. This airframe has been finished minus electronics for almost a year now. Believe it or not it has still required almost a week worth of work to install the power system, servos, and landing gear. There just isn't much space inside the airframe and that takes time to get everything put in place.

After 2 days of power system testing I decided on a never tried 40mm combination. The motor is a 12mm Neu proton with a 7300kv. The rotor is the AEORC 8 blade clipped to 4. With a heatsink the temp is pretty cool despite being pushed to 150 watts at 14 amps. The thrust is right at 200 gram and the fan unit and motor only weigh 30g. For reference, the Neu 20mm 705 motors with fan weigh 50g.

The lighter power system combined with a lighter airframe and actual lifting airfoil have me hopeful that this electrolyte will be more of a sport model. The final flying weight with a 3s 910 lipo is just under 300g. Black and yellow is somewhere above 350. So most of the weight savings was in the power system selection. With 200 grams of thrust I don't expect her to be a 100mph hotrod but this version has landing gear and a steerable nose wheel. Can't wait to taxi to the runway. Test flight will be later this week. Here are a few pics from the last few days of assembly.