SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
818 Posts
All this talk of the new build and now pictures? whats going on guys!!!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
AS,
Glad you approve of the first wing outta the mold....they will only get better! The root and tip were cut with a fine tooth zona saw. The top skin hinge line scribed with the zona saw and a straight edge to define the hinge location. The botton skin was cut with a fresh razor blade. And yes...2oz Kevlar as the hinge material. Hope that helps with your project.

Forsakerider,
The great news is that I'm close to being a Dr. The bad news is I'm swamped with no chance of building in NYC. So Corsair nut is helping push the project forward by assembling the first composite wing Electrolyte. The molded wings should make this airframe go together much faster. Any news with your Micro stinger?
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:52 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i dont know how you can get it much more perfect than the wing i saw ...im not suprized ....like i said before if i need cutting on i want your skills doing it.im in for a challange on my F-20 cause i want the le of the flap and alieron to have the bull nose molded on it .it will take a different typ of wing mold to do it .if it wont work i will do it like what i've seen you do and also what i see on the BVM arf's .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i have a BVM fury and i'll study how they do it ...the alieron lower skin slides under real nice.it may be they are molding the wing with the alieron deflected up a tad??? not sure .thats how i have to do the F-20 wing the flap has to beedown and the alieron up...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:59 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
Rodger,

Did you see how I cut out my rudder on the last page. I cut the slot ahead of the hinge line and it allows the surface to slide under. I made the cuts on the stab and wing, but wasn't until I did the rudder/fin that I got it right. Takes some experimenting but for mine it needed to be at least 1/8" ahead.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i have a BVM fury and i'll study how they do it ...the alieron lower skin slides under real nice.it may be they are molding the wing with the alieron deflected up a tad??? not sure .thats how i have to do the F-20 wing the flap has to beedown and the alieron up...
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:01 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
LOL takes me 6 hours to make a fuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Yeah scraps for you are perfectly usable for me! The materials are cheaper but the time investment is still there. it's about an hour to layup each fuselage half and then another 30min- hour to join. Still a lot faster than building another fuse from balsa!!! Oh yeah....now there are wings to layup too .
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:27 AM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
AS,
BVM has layed up a lot of wings so they know exactly where to cut their ailerons to have the smallest gap possible. You can do it to if you lay up a few wings and spend the time to make templates. Practice makes perfect!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:50 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
on the fury the lower alieron surface is @1/4" behind the hinge line .it slides under with very little gap,and when the alieron is neutral the cut gap is only @ .040 - .050 it's really cool how this is done.there core material also looks to have been machined down ? i need to see that how they do it vid that the history chn did at BVM.im sure they have all the cnc stuff to do this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
That part is done by hand actually. They show the guy making the cuts on the episode of How It's Made. Go to 3:40 to watch them do part of it. My gap is almost non existant. Yes, you have to remove the core material. When I lay up the part, before I join the halves, I use a sharpened screw driver as a chiself to cut away the material over the hinge area so that only the glass remains.

How It's Made - RC Jets (10 min 7 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
on the fury the lower alieron surface is @1/4" behind the hinge line .it slides under with very little gap,and when the alieron is neutral the cut gap is only @ .040 - .050 it's really cool how this is done.there core material also looks to have been machined down ? i need to see that how they do it vid that the history chn did at BVM.im sure they have all the cnc stuff to do this.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
Ha! Dutch subtitles! LOL!
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
LOL takes me 6 hours to make a fuse.
Man, you guys are killing me! 1 hour for a electrolyte fuse, 6 hours for a blaze fuse.. At that rate, its gonna be 30 hours for an F-14 fuse. lol Hell, it took an hour to do one horizontal stab
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
Invertmast
3 hours for the electrolyte layup. That doesn't include mold prep or time to cut glass. It's actually time consuming IMO considering the small fuselage size.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,210 Posts
Oh ok... i was thinking an hour was awefully short.. Still I envy you guys.. it takes me atleast 3 hours to get motivated lol
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Oh ok... i was thinking an hour was awefully short.. Still I envy you guys.. it takes me atleast 3 hours to get motivated lol
Been watching your videos on the F-14 cant wait to see that done.
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:51 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,771 Posts
i wonder what they use to release the mold from the painting in the mold .cant be wax as the paint would fish eye.cant be pva cause they were doing masking and stencils right in the mold