SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:22 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Hey Mark,
Yeah SKS did what few others have been able to do....capture an entire flight of the Electrolyte. DOn't know about you but I am having withdrawls after flying with you last weekend. I need to fly more often! Its definitely colder this weekend though which makes me re-think going outside to fly! Can't fly very well if you can't feel your fingers.... BTW did you ever fly your Rifle?

With the cold weather on its way I needed a small winter project. So last week I purchased a set of custom cnc foam core wings for the Electrolyte using an MH-43 airfoil which came highly recommended by Jetmang for small speed models. The plan is to sheet these with 1/64th ply for use as plugs to make molded Electrolyte wings. The project is 1.5 years old and progress is slow but steady. Eventually it will be a well oiled machine that is also quick to build . By then though there will probably be a nice foam trash version that costs $50 and be good for 10 flights....lol
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:27 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Hey Mark,
Yeah SKS did what few others have been able to do....capture an entire flight of the Electrolyte. DOn't know about you but I am having withdrawls after flying with you last weekend. I need to fly more often! Its definitely colder this weekend though which makes me re-think going outside to fly! Can't fly very well if you can't feel your fingers.... BTW did you ever fly your Rifle?

With the cold weather on its way I needed a small winter project. So last week I purchased a set of custom cnc foam core wings for the Electrolyte using an MH-43 airfoil which came highly recommended by Jetmang for small speed models. The plan is to sheet these with 1/64th ply for use as plugs to make molded Electrolyte wings. The project is 1.5 years old and progress is slow but steady. Eventually it will be a well oiled machine that is also quick to build . By then though there will probably be a nice foam trash version that costs $50 and be good for 10 flights....lol
Hey Bret -- No I did not fly the rifle yet. Will actually be popping a receiver in her tonight and setting up the control surfaces. I plan on flying tomorrow since the weather is suppose to be decent. I had a good time myself last week so definitely want to make it out again.

Wow I recall you mentioning you had planes on molding the wings so good to see your full steam ahead. Looking forward to seeing your progress in the weeks to come.

I hope my field is a good test bed for that bird as well. Shouldn't be an issue setting up a launch ramp there.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:07 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2004
436 Posts
Not that I need a winter project, but one does not need to need one, right?

And speaking of one, can one buy a short kit for what you have?

: )
Mesnik is offline Find More Posts by Mesnik
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:09 AM
New York Ny/Newark Downtown Manhatt, New York, United States
Joined Dec 2003
71 Posts
30mm edf

BANDET 30mm edf mpeg4.m2ts (2 min 31 sec)
papo is offline Find More Posts by papo
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Molded Electrolyte wing panels

Its been a while since the last Electrolyte building update. I absolutely loved my surgery rotation over the past 3 months but had no time for modeling!! So when the rotation ended last week work began on the next phase of the Electrolyte project...molded wings.

In this forum I feel a bit old fashion going through the work of sheeting wings. The rapid prototyping going on by Nitrocharged & BIM as well as molded plastic models by Dan and others is mostly to blame . So the basis for these wing plugs were CNC cores by compufoam. To make a long story short, they were sheeted with 1/64th ply. The biggest challenge was finding enough weight in my brooklyn apt. to do the job. It took some creativity (stones, vitamin water bottles, and books) but I finally got a good amount of weight on the cores!

I am now back home in L.A. with all my glassing supplies and have 2 weeks to get the molds finished. The cores are glassed and about ready for the splitter box. With Arizona Electric Festival coming up I should have barely enough time to finish before heading back to NYC. Keeping my fingers crossed! next up: primer and splitter box!
Last edited by pdawg; Jan 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
Looking real nice pdawg.... eerrrr, holllow? Does the foam come out at the end of this process?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:54 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,043 Posts
Awesome PDawg!!

Nitrocharged--He is making a mold of the wings so they will be hollow like the fuse.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:27 AM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Thanks Guys! NC, the current wings panels are simply plugs and not for flying. Once the wing molds are done though it will really speed up construction. I think the reduced weight will make her handlaunchable too!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Thanks Guys! NC, the current wings panels are simply plugs and not for flying. Once the wing molds are done though it will really speed up construction. I think the reduced weight will make her handlaunchable too!
Hey Brett--- how are you enjoying the NYC weather... I guess when you asked me a few months ago how cold does it get this answers it. It will just get worse in a few weeks.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
I see.

Did I mention the maiden of the EL as a pusher was a spectacular failure. It torque rolled on me and did a full roll before I levelled out just in time to smack down on the deck. Stripped the elevator servo - which I thought would happen first landing anyway...

I'll bench the thing for a while and get all these other projects done for now. Got me some pods to complete.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:25 PM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Put in 3 more Electrolyte flights over the weekend at AEF. Love the adrenalin rush from flying this model!!! Its been a few years since attending AEF but it was great to catch up with Shhhhh! and other modelers from AZ. There were 2 highlight models for me at AEF 2012. One was was Dan Landis's Great Planes 30mm F-86. Its really a great flying model and I am looking forward to having one as my primary parkflyer in NYC! The other highlight was a 205 mph pass from a electrified gas pylon airframe. What can I say...I love speed! No flight footage that I am aware of but here are a few static pics.
Last edited by pdawg; Jan 28, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:39 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,498 Posts
Good to hear! It's all about having fun.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:58 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
Looks like you are having great break pdawg. Out amongst it, flying up a storm.. good times!!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:39 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,917 Posts
Lookin' good man!

Don
gp125racer is online now Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
BVM Viper Fever
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Hi Don! Your bungee worked great this weekend in AZ...thanks again! Progress is happening but at a very slow pace. The composite wing molds will be done this week. Slow and steady wins the race.