HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:41 PM
They all fly once
United States, CA, Rialto
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
Help!
SSX wing tips

Hello, I am having a heck of a time covering the wing tips on my SSX. I know there may be a link or tip on how to do it the right way. The wing is covered in monocote and when I went to stretch it out all went bad. As suggested, I went to the LHS to get some ultracote but they were out of the color I needed. I'm going to try and use monocote and a heat gun. Thanks in advance.
jiggywatt is offline Find More Posts by jiggywatt
Last edited by jiggywatt; Jun 14, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:12 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggywatt View Post
Hello, I am having a heck of a time covering the wing tips on my SSX. I know there may be a link or tip on how to do it the right way. The wing is covered in monocote and when I went to stretch it out all went bad. As suggested, I went to the LHS to get some ultracote but they were out of the color I needed. I'm going to try and use monocote and a heat gun. Thanks in advance.
Cut a piece with plenty of extra to cover the wing tip. attache it to the end rib and allow it to cool. lay the wing on a table with the wing tip hanging over the edge of the table and weigh it down by placing some books across the spar and trailing edge. Use a heat gun to stretch the covering. Start at the leading edge and work your way to the trailing edge. allow the covering to cool before releasing and moving down the tip.

Sorry I took so long to answer your post, it was not in the SSX build thread so I did not notice it rite away.

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:41 PM
They all fly once
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
Thanks for the tip. It ain't pretty, but I managed to get the tips covered. I used a combo of heat gun and iron. Some wrinkles just will not come out and the monokote will only take so much heat before it melts.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggywatt View Post
Thanks for the tip. It ain't pretty, but I managed to get the tips covered. I used a combo of heat gun and iron. Some wrinkles just will not come out and the monokote will only take so much heat before it melts.
Looks like it will fly!

Good luck,

James
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
They all fly once
Joined Nov 2005
104 Posts
Thanks James. I built this one as a trainer, but I also have one of the ARF SSX that I am afraid I'll crash. First aileron plane in a long time.