HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:27 AM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
Help!
Aurora 9 2AIL + 2FLP wing problem

I have an Aurora 9 that I am trying to set up on a 4 servo glider wing but am having serious issues because one of the flap servos needs reversing.
It does indeed reverse OK but this leads to a whole load of problems, like EPA for the reversed servo going bizarre and a few other things that make it too difficult to bother with.
I, like others on this forum are getting around the problem by telling the set I have a 2AIL+1FLP wing but then that prevents useful mixes like AIL>FLP.
I thought I saw somewhere here that Mike(Hitec) gave a passing hint at a flap reverse problem but cant find it again.
I find myself considering turning the servo around in the wing like you had to 20 years ago if your TX didn’t have a little switch in the back.

I have posted on the Radio>A9 forum but was just buried under other discussions.
I re-programmed new models from scratch many times now in the hope I was doing something wrong but it just wont work.

Can we have the official angle on this please?
Are others having this problem?

Vince
Hogwash is offline Find More Posts by Hogwash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 02:54 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Hogwash-Vince.. YES others are having this problem. I have aksed about it but answers seem to be maybe a V1.07 fix. What I see happening is the flap programming fuctions OK if you use the basic default settings after selecting 2AIL 2 FLP leaving flap control on left slider (default). If you change channels or try to move flap control to throttle stick or use FLP CNTRL menu or further flap mix functions the radio for some reason flips the EPA settings for FLP2.
You can still set the end points but you must do it by trial and error, ei. make a down adjustment with the flaps selected up, then move the flaps down ,check adjustment and try again until you get the required travel. Same blind setting for the up EPA of course. Is this some of the confusing happenings you're seeing? If it is, can Mike or someone at HiTec follow this through and confirm please. Then tell us it is being corrected.
EK
ekletke is offline Find More Posts by ekletke
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:35 PM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
EK.
Yes that is exactly the problem. I did not ever use the default settings so didn’t realise they were ok but many glider people would want flaps/crow on the throttle stick.
I thought my problem was due to having one flap servo in REV but perhaps not. I am not getting paid to check out all the combinations that work or not but know there is a big cock up in the script with + instead of – somewhere (I used to do this stuff).

I sincerely hope the fix will be in 1.07 as this is surely THE ONLY PROBLEM compared with the other ‘nice to haves’ (ie that **** beep).

We need Hitec comment soon please.

Vince
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
Having done a bit more fiddling it seems all is not OK using the default settings.
If I start a new model and let the set assign the controls it puts the flaps on LS.
If I then REV FLAP2 (because I have to) it seems to work OK as far as EPA and sub trim are concerned. However if I then assign SW A to have zero flap with switch foreword (to prevent accidental partial flap) and try to set FLAP2 level (in the 100%/100% bit) it cannot be leveled as the % needs to be above 100 which it wont do. At the same time FLAP1 can be leveled with -100% (as would seem logical).
If I try to put flap on J3 then a whole lot more goes wrong.

How many of these sets have been sold?
How many are being used on full house gliders?
Why are there not more posts about this issue on the most busy RC forum.
Why have Hitec not responded. I am easily appeased as all I want is ‘we know there is a bug and we are working on it’. (and here is a free HPP-22 to fix it, Ha Ha).

Ps
ready to eat my hat if Im doing something wrong.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Vince...Am I correctly assuming your flap servos are installed symmetrical to each other (for Y harness connection), rather than symmetrical to the fuselage per 2 flap channel connection? I have not tried such a method as I don't currently have a plane like that. I really don't think the Hitec engineers have either. It looks like their open architecture may be too open or not open enough when it comes to all the ways flaps may be connected and operated.
EK
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:20 AM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,601 Posts
deleted
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Last edited by bobthenuke; Jun 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: No interest shown
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:33 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Vince... How are your flap servos installed? Do both drive arm spline shafts point outboard, inboard, left or right? This is the first thing we have to establish.
EK
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
EK.
The Aileron servos are installed as mirror image, like all the other stuff I’ve ever built but the flaps servos are both the same way around, as per the plans for the GP Spirit 100. I was slightly unhappy putting them in like that but as an ARTF kit the hardware was jigged like that so I went along with it. Doh. I guess it was for a y lead setup.
I will take a look later so see how difficult it is to shift but still a bit p****d that my new well specked set cant handle it.

Don’t get me wrong, I like this set a lot. I know with so many options some things wont show up in the beta testing but now I have to buy the programming gizmo and hope the fix is in the next update, - or just flip the servo I suppose.

Vince

Edit
I guess this is the referance to the 1.07 fix
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ostcount=1269]
Last edited by Hogwash; Jun 15, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:50 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
EK. The Aileron servos are installed as mirror image, like all the other stuff I’ve ever built but the flaps servos are both the same way around, as per the plans for the GP Spirit 100. I was slightly unhappy putting them in like that but as an ARTF kit the hardware was jigged like that so I went along with it. Doh. I guess it was for a y lead setup.
I will take a look later so see how difficult it is to shift but still a bit p****d that my new well specked set cant handle it.<snip>
Therein lies the problem ..designed for the average sport flier with common 6ch TX.
When setting the Aurora for that or a similar Gilder:
Select: Settings> [MDL Type] > [GLID] > "Wing" > [2AILE+1FLAP]. This because even though there are two physical flaps, the two servos are installed same way on a "Y" lead and react, as designed, to act as if there is only one servo and one flap.. If not using a "Y" then after above select
Settings > Channel > spare channel say CH7 > NULL > SEL > LS (being the same as the other "FLAP" servo default ch5).

Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Jun 16, 2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:03 AM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
Thanks for that Alan. That is the ‘work around’ that I am doing except using J3 not LS. This does then prevent AIL>FLP mix option.
However I don’t agree the problem lies in me having one servo requiring REV but in the A9 not being able to handle this simple requirement.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that Alan. That is the ‘work around’ that I am doing except using J3 not LS. This does then prevent AIL>FLP mix option.
However I don’t agree the problem lies in me having one servo requiring REV but in the A9 not being able to handle this simple requirement.
Vince... Looks like you're getting a handle on the work arounds for setting up flaps with A9. I have also moved my flap control from the default LS to J3. But this is where I run into the EPA reversal bug. When I reassign to J3 the FLP2 EPA settings have to be done by trial and error, ie down adjusment with flap lever J3 in up position. Definately A BUG to look out for.
EK
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:32 AM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Vince....I hooked up a simulation of what I think you're trying to do and this arrangement seemed to work fine.
ch1 AILE:J1=NOR
ch2 ELEV:J2=NOR
ch3 AIL2:J1=NOR
ch4 RUDD:J4=NOR
ch5 FLAP:LS=NOR H80% L86%
ch6 FLP2:LS=REV H86% L80%

I didn't involve any other switches for flaps or ailerons and was able to get correct AILE-FLAP coupling for roll control.
Regarding your idea of a switch for specific flap deflections perhaps Flight Conditions with different camber control settings would do the trick. If this is what you're after I could give it a try.
EK
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
EK
Thanks for you efforts but I know when Im beaten.
I have taken a knife to my glider.
Vince
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:28 AM
Devon UK
Joined Oct 2004
72 Posts
Now servo is the 'right' way around so no servo is in REV.
Not much has improved though as anything involving FLAP2 still has limits reversed.
Am dissapointed at Hitec's lack of coment or response to my email to service.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:16 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
92 Posts
Quote:
Now servo is the 'right' way around so no servo is in REV.
Not much has improved though as anything involving FLAP2 still has limits reversed.
Am dissapointed at Hitec's lack of coment or response to my email to service.
I tried a basic 6 servo glider from sctatch on a new model number on the radio. The flaps worked out fine by selecting 2ail-2flap, then leaving channel and control functions (LS) as per radio default, then setting sub trims and EPA. At this point all worked fine. Any further mixes or changes into the flap system and it seems possible to flip the flp2 end point settings. In the big radio A9 thread you can find a few (very few) references to this as well as what looks like it may be the fix in V1.07. It would be nice if this was reconfirmed HERE MIKE as that other thread takes about a week to read. Let's use this for programming help and BUG fixing.