HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Discussion
World Models Texan - sadly, no more.

Posted this over at Electric Plane Talk. Shoulda posted it here, where I have received help and encouragement.

Don't know if it's true or not, but I recall reading, somewhere, that when the AT-6 Texan was being used as a trainer, some of the students felt they should have learned on something else before being exposed to the Texan - sort of a trainer trainer, I guess. I now understand the sentiment.

From my maiden it became apparent the plane was not going to be one you could just put in the air and forget about; but, after an initial rebuild - following a poorly attempted first landing that broke the nose off - I had a few very successful flights. Despite numerous warnings from others far more experienced, I became complacent to the point I was wondering what all the fuss was about. Even after a number of warnings suggesting the Texan had a quirky nature - you know, kinda like that cute little pit bull that lives down the street that always seemed like a nice dog.....until...

Anyway, I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but it rolled left on takeoff - more than usual - but I regained it for a few seconds before it rolled over left at about 30 ft and went in. I now think that I may have lifted the throttle at a time that I should have been pushing it forward to gain some authority.

I'm sure I will get another Texan in the future, and when I do it I will do so with the respect it deserves.

Kinda bummed today.

Steve

p.s. - thanks to Henry Joe and Larry who comforted me as we looked for pieces.
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,556 Posts
Hey buddy..

Sorry to see this! It's a bummer.. i hope that it hasn't discouraged you from trying again. I do think the World's Model AT6 was well designed to be a little more forgiving than the larger AT-6's but it does have a bite and reminds me of that any time I try to get too 'comfy' with it.
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,577 Posts
sgomes -

Yep, these situations can reach up and 'bite' but you probably have a repairable airplane. I'd encourage you to take your time and warm up to the idea of a rebuild.

You may already know but the full scale Texan was a hand full too. I've read reports that some thought the fighters they transitioned to were easier to handle.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:02 PM
Jimmy
United States, NJ, Highland Lakes
Joined Oct 2008
754 Posts
Sorry man, Tuff plane to fly. maybe a new one down the road
Jimmy1159 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy1159
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:04 PM
LaVale, Maryland
Joined Jun 2005
57 Posts
The photo appears to strongly favor repair. That is too nice of an airplane to scrap.

It may be a good idea to just set it aside for a while before doing anything with it.
Jim Dean is offline Find More Posts by Jim Dean
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:13 PM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Thanks guys, but rebuilding is beyond my abilities. I am a terrible modeler, all thumbs and poor eyesight.

If this wasn't bad enough, my latest beater is a Mini Yak - talk about a glutton for punishment. Actually, with a bazillion expo and about 2% low rate, it is quite manageable; or so it seems........won't fall into that trap again. Have already ripped out the landing gear, so I'm becoming quite familiar with ca and baking soda.

Anyway, there is no question that another Texan is in my future.....actually, I live only 45 mins from Airborne Models.......hmmm. Unfortunately, my wife has already threatened the sales guy if he EVER sells me another plane.

Thanks again to everyone, for all the encouragement.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:52 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
Thanks guys, but rebuilding is beyond my abilities. I am a terrible modeler, all thumbs and poor eyesight.

If this wasn't bad enough, my latest beater is a Mini Yak - talk about a glutton for punishment. Actually, with a bazillion expo and about 2% low rate, it is quite manageable; or so it seems........won't fall into that trap again. Have already ripped out the landing gear, so I'm becoming quite familiar with ca and baking soda.

Anyway, there is no question that another Texan is in my future.....actually, I live only 45 mins from Airborne Models.......hmmm. Unfortunately, my wife has already threatened the sales guy if he EVER sells me another plane.

Thanks again to everyone, for all the encouragement.

Steve

lol..

Raf b from yoru other thread has the right idea. That's enough mourning time.. lol.. that GWS Texan is one the BEST fliers. I like it because it 'feels' like a Texan but not enough to bite you. And if you have a litte time on your hands, you can really deck it out!

Best thing is it's foam!

It really is gentle but does demand a little respect as well (it can get testy with too much elevator.. but what (non 3d plane) doesn't?)

It's easy to take off and land with as well (but if you do want to fly Texans, you can fly this one in or cut throttle if things get hairy).. i think it went a long way in helping me learn to fly all my Texans (from the Worlds, to the Eflite to the Top Flite..)

Learning to fly the Eflite AT 6.. I crashed it 3 times.! so I've been through the ringer too.
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Last edited by HKing_PwnsMe; Jun 14, 2010 at 07:53 PM.