HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 06:46 AM
Joined Apr 2010
13 Posts
Discussion
Blade SR a different tail failing problem

Well I was flying my sr yesterday and after the first battery was almost dead I let it the heli cool down and put in another battery and upon lift off the tail didnt spin up and it crashed (lightly by the way). I changed out the tail motor and nothing. It does the same thing as the original it only spins occasionally if I mess with the throttle at full go and turn the channel 5 knob back and forth on the transmitter. There is no position that will allow it to work consistently and the main motor works fine and everything else operates normally. Has anyone else experienced this issue? is it possible that I picked up another bad motor? Is it my 2 in 1 I don't know can someone please help I've exhausted all that I can think of. Thanks I know somebody can help figure this out I'm going to pick up another motor to make sure the second one was not a dud. I am posting everywhere but with no luck.
heliphlier is offline Find More Posts by heliphlier
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Call e-flite?

the odds of multiple motors being bad out of the package are slim to none. Is your gyro powered up? (red light solid on the gyro?) If your gyro has power and you swapped motors, then the chances are it is your 2-in-1.
Gadflyii is offline Find More Posts by Gadflyii
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:54 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,335 Posts
I would suggest checking the wires going to the motor from the receiver. You may have a shorted, loose or broken wire. Especially where the wires enter and exit the tail boom.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:30 PM
Joined Apr 2010
13 Posts
ya I checked the wires.Then I bought and switched out the 2 in 1 because horizon said that had to be it but it still dont work kind of angry I payed $42.00 for a part that wasn't bad. This don't make any sense if I hook a tester up to the tail motor wires (with the motor detached) and put in some throttle nothing but if I leave the throttle up and dont touch anything after about 20 sec or so the power will jump up to 12.30 v. Then I will throttle down try again but nothing. This will just keep happening seems like maybe the receiver to me any other thoughts cause horizon dont know. Thanks for your help guys I appreciate your concern.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:54 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Did you replace the tail wires?

If you have replaced the 2-in-1, tail motor & tail wires all that is left is the gyro and reciver.

To test the reciver unplug the gyro from the reciver, and plug one of the cyclic servos into the rudder channel and move the stick on the transmitter, if the servo moves back and forth, it is not the reciever.

(be sure to plug everything back in where it belongs)
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:38 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliphlier View Post
There is no position that will allow it to work consistently and the main motor works fine and everything else operates normally.
Is there any chance that the normal behaviour of the heading hold gyro is misleading you?

It wasn't clear in your original description as to what the exact problem is.

The tail motor will not necessarily turn on when the heli is on the ground.

The HH gyro output and therefore the tail motor does not necessarily follow the rudder stick when the heli is on the ground.

The heli should not be moved for about 10 seconds after the battery has been plugged in and armed.

The rudder trim should be in the center or the gyro may not arm.

With a heading hold gyro, the tail motor may be turned on fully until the sensed position error is corrected.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Jun 15, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:34 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
SEE ABOVE ^ ^ ^. Any movement the heli makes from where it's initialized stores as an offset in the HH and can't be resolved on the ground.

Well wait, sometimes it can. Some gyros recognize 3 opposite rudder commands in a row as a reset.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:24 PM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliphlier View Post
upon lift off the tail didnt spin up and it crashed (lightly by the way).
Sounds like he knows how it works, but if he took off the tail motor should of been spinning like a mad man.

This is an easy test to see what it is. (Un-plug your main and tail motors first)Simply unplug any cyclic servo from the reciever, plug it directly into the rudder channel (where the gyro is plugged in) and move the rudder stick, if the servo moves back and forth, it is not the reciever. Plug the gyro back in and plug the cyclic servo into the gyro.

Center your sticks, plug in a battery again and let the gyro arm. Once armed rotate the helicopter (obviously on the ground), if the cyclic servo responds and moves as the helicopter is rotated around, then it is not the gyro.

If you pass both tests, and have not done so already, replace the tail motor wires, and ensure your positive and negitive did not get crossed.

If none of this works, send it back to e-flite for repair.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 06:28 AM
Joined Apr 2010
13 Posts
Horizon hobby confirmed that it is the 2 in 1 and that the 2 in 1 I purchased was burnt out of the package and they are going to replace them. What kind of luck is that at least they are taking care of it. I now have a brushless tail motor on its way, no more tail issue for me. Well heres to hoping huh. Thanks guys for your thought and input good ideas.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:26 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Tail spins on throttle up

Excellent thread -
I've got the same/similar issue when I throttle up quickly the nose will yaw to the left. As recommended by the manual I try to adjust the mix but no amount corrects it, I inspected my tail motor wich was already new (crash bent the last one) and replaced it anyway, new tail blades, new tail boom (subtle bend) and confirmed the reciever is working normally by pulling the gyro and plugging a servo into the rudder spot...next flight attempt to come, but if this doesn't do it, I guess I only have the 2-in-1 left to blame.

Details:
in my case the tail would spin up , pretty high as soon as I start to idle up, at slow throttle increase I could get it off the ground but any quick increase in throttle would immediatley result in a right-spin...hoping these changes correct it, but if not, back to hobbytown for a new 2-in-1
jdsadler is offline Find More Posts by jdsadler
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,126 Posts
I wish you guys good luck, but before I spent money on a new 2-in-1 I would just buy the belt tail conversion... Similar cost, and if you plan on keeping the SR it will save you money.

Converting to a pitch tail is the ONLY way the SR's tail issues really go away.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:28 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsadler View Post
Excellent thread -
I've got the same/similar issue when I throttle up quickly the nose will yaw to the left. As recommended by the manual I try to adjust the mix but no amount corrects it, I inspected my tail motor wich was already new (crash bent the last one) and replaced it anyway, new tail blades, new tail boom (subtle bend) and confirmed the reciever is working normally by pulling the gyro and plugging a servo into the rudder spot...next flight attempt to come, but if this doesn't do it, I guess I only have the 2-in-1 left to blame.

Details:
in my case the tail would spin up , pretty high as soon as I start to idle up, at slow throttle increase I could get it off the ground but any quick increase in throttle would immediatley result in a right-spin...hoping these changes correct it, but if not, back to hobbytown for a new 2-in-1
-As an aside, it's usually a good idea to spin the model up slowly...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Jun 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,447 Posts
Is your tail prop on in the correct direction?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:15 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Quote:
throttle up quickly... quick increase in throttle
Beginning to see a pattern here? Tailmotors as a class don't have the authority to deal with fast throttle. Even belttails won't compensate for flooring it from a dead stop. The torque effect takes place immediately. The compensation can't take effect until the tail is up to speed.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab