SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:13 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,834 Posts
ok here are a few pics on how I trimmed the cockpit to make getting to the battery a little easier. And a shot of the 2 cell battery and the CC160 with the cooling fan.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 04:28 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,834 Posts
Ok man here are the rest of the pics. I hope it helps. Also I know more glue is not better but this time it is when you flip the plane on its nose and pour the epoxy in and let it run to the front dont be shy. The more you get the inlet to bond with the fuselage the better. Also make sure those nose gear formers are rock solid to the fuselage. If one comes loose you get a cracked inlet. You do the carbon splitter at the end. Dont paint the inlet until its installed you need to see where the glue has gone when you pour it.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:52 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing the pics Gunradd! My little brain is plotting now!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:50 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,722 Posts
I'll admit that I went nice and clean on my nose gear installation for my F-16 as well. Especially the level of Hysol I used.

At first...

But after a few flights I realized right away that I had better skip the niceness and pour that glue around the nosegear formers. They were already pulling up even on greased landings even with the best quality Hysol. Don't go light on the Hysol in that one area. It may add a bit of weight but it sure beats having to rip out the ducting (again, and then once again) to get at it and secure it. I do fly off grass so that does make a difference.

Those nose gear formers take way more abuse than anyone can imagine.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
Awesome build! I was on the fence about doing a kit but I think with your helpful videos and all the other help on the forums I just might go with yellow's 16. Plus the size for electric seems to be big enough without getting too crazy. I plan on doing a stumax 110-45 on 12s. Hopefully this can give turbine "like" performance or at least let me fly with turbines without getting lapped over and over. Thoughts from the guys that have a stumax on 12?

I second or third the high c rating on batteries. A pack that isn't working as hard is going to last much longer too. I know XPS is going to be releasing some 65c batteries

Fyi...another good place to get hysol:

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=27_28

Keep up the awesome work and vids.
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Last edited by tulz43; Aug 10, 2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 12:43 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered my Airpower 5-Action valve. There goes the Stumax for this month, but we'll shoot for next month maybe. I think this will really make for a clean install. I have family over this week so I haven't gotten a chance to make any videos. Will try this weekend.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:13 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Ok, I'm back! I hope to make some good progress this weekend. Check out the video update to see what I've got planned:

YA F-16C Video Update #6 (5 min 39 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,774 Posts
Here's some info Stu posted on the fan and yellow f-16. Might be of interest to ya.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=27
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Aug 21, 2010, 02:10 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
I got my 5-action valve from Airpower... here's a quick unboxing and some assembly of the gauges and filler valves.

YA F-16C Video Update #7 (5 min 43 sec)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,722 Posts
I used those fill valves from Airpower and while they did work, I found the connection for filling to be a pain in the rear. Getting the threads just right on the fill chuck is a PAIN.

Tam (and a bunch of turbine friends) recommended these to me. They are BY FAR the absolute best quick connection and fill system I have ever used. Don't let the plastic look fool you, they are rock solid and I use them exclusively on all air related items now. They also are extremely light weight which is nice. You just plug and twist and bobs your uncle. They never leak.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=822

I can't recommend them enough. I use them with the same bracket you've got and I did end up using the air level gauges that came with the set.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:04 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Here's a big one... blunders and all! Did I ever mention to really pay attention to the instructions, very closely. LOL. All is good and fixed now.

Yellow F-16 Build #15 Part 1 (14 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:44 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
And now, the finale of installing the main gear doors.

Yellow F-16 Build #15 Part 2 (9 min 29 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:31 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Ha! Your halarious wisdumb! Keep up the good work. Just for the record, i like epoxy better for stuff like this.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Ha! Your halarious wisdumb! Keep up the good work. Just for the record, i like epoxy better for stuff like this.
I second the epoxy vote. 5 minute epoxy works every time without fail. Coats much better. And is much much stronger. I also think it's awesome that you keep your little fails in the vids. Makes them entertaining.
Last edited by Pepperpete; Aug 22, 2010 at 07:50 PM.