HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:15 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
933 Posts
Wiz,

I had to flip through MA magazine five times to find it but that grease remover stuff we were talking about is K2R. It looks like you can get it a Ace Hardware or Walmart.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:39 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Wiz,

I had to flip through MA magazine five times to find it but that grease remover stuff we were talking about is K2R. It looks like you can get it a Ace Hardware or Walmart.
Thanks Lance! That'll help a lot.

For those of you just tuning in, I've decided to convert my practice F-16 from Gas, nitro or whatever the hell it is to electric. I robbed the ESC from my helicopter, bought a Rimfire 60 and have a 6cell battery (also from the helicopter).

I cut a hatch today, placed the components and... Balances Perfect! Bam! (I just have to make a mount for the motor and thus will probably have to nudge the battery forward just a smidge. I should have this thing ready to go for next weekend if the weather cooperates.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:44 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
593 Posts
Can't wait to see it, that plane is big! I would love to see it fly by with the retracts up .
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:16 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
I should have this thing ready to go for next weekend if the weather cooperates.
PLEASE take pics and video! I have a NIB CBM F-16 that I want to do in electric pusher. Just not sure what setup to use yet. 6s seems to be a nice sweet spot. What prop are you using? My goal is better than 1:1 thrust to wt., however, that may be lofty... I'm going to go with electric retracts too and cut out some complexity and weight.

I built and flew one several years back with a YS45 and it was a hoot. I used to fly with the guys from CBM at Torry Pines back when they just started out with slope kits. I love this plane, and when I saw one on Ebay, I jumped on it!

Oh, I've been lurking on your thread for quite a while and subscribed to your YouTube channel. I've been anxiously watching and admiring your build!

Cheers
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:18 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post
PLEASE take pics and video! I have a NIB CBM F-16 that I want to do in electric pusher. Just not sure what setup to use yet. 6s seems to be a nice sweet spot. What prop are you using? My goal is better than 1:1 thrust to wt., however, that may be lofty... I'm going to go with electric retracts too and cut out some complexity and weight.

I built and flew one several years back with a YS45 and it was a hoot. I used to fly with the guys from CBM at Torry Pines back when they just started out with slope kits. I love this plane, and when I saw one on Ebay, I jumped on it!

Oh, I've been lurking on your thread for quite a while and subscribed to your YouTube channel. I've been anxiously watching and admiring your build!

Cheers
It is a fun little plane for sure! Mine also had a YS-45 in it. I'll try to get some pics as I progress. Video for sure!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:21 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post

Cheers
I started a thread over here that'll hopefully be useful to you:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post24129573

Oh, and I've been using a 10x7 prop. I taxied with it on electric and it seemed to have plenty of power. I don't know if a 10x8 would be better, but I don't have a watt meter so I can't really gauge how hard the motor or ESC are being taxed.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,561 Posts
I''m looking forward to the flight video from today - especially the part where the cameraman ducks!
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:11 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Practice Plane Electrified Flight #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
I''m looking forward to the flight video from today - especially the part where the cameraman ducks!
Your dreams have come true! I was quite impressed with the cameraman's ability to keep the plane in frame during the greased landing. :-)

CBM F-16 2nd E-Flight (5 min 2 sec)
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,561 Posts
That is amazing. He started to duck and run - as did I - but kept it in frame all the time!
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:01 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
It is hard to find that kind of dedication.
GudmundT is offline Find More Posts by GudmundT
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
dude.... jonesin for to see the finished product. whats the latest?
Stretch15 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch15
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch15 View Post
dude.... jonesin for to see the finished product. whats the latest?
I'm actually cleaning the "shop" now to get back on it. Holidays, cold weather, house selling, practice plane tinkering and a surprise new purchase got in the way. I'll be on it soon!
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:04 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
554 Posts
Ok, 'nuff layin' around and not working on the F-16. I took it out of the garage, cleaned up my "shop" in the apartment and am ready to finish this thing up. I also thought it would be a good time to update the intro, graphics and music a bit since I had to install a new hard drive since the last F-16 video.

Also, if you wait until the end of the video I make an announcement as to the next build thread. Check it out here:

Episode #90 (11 min 45 sec)
Old Apr 08, 2013, 02:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nantwich
Joined Jan 2012
255 Posts
Its HUGE!
Hixxer is offline Find More Posts by Hixxer
Old Apr 09, 2013, 01:23 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,663 Posts
Well seeing as I've literally followed this thread for three years...I can now look forward to an additional half decade following the A-10 thread.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete