HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:37 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,735 Posts
Wisdumb i have enjoyed the video documentation of your build.
Merry Christmas.
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Ah, feeling for the pointy. I'm reminded of a poem by a great American poet.

Oh birds of pointy
Pointy, pointy
On my head
Anointy, nointy

S. Martin

Someone correct me if I got that wrong.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Hey Wiz,

There's going to be more F-4 flying action today. I'm headed out to the field. Maybe you can sneak away...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:45 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Merry Christmas Eve! Here's some sloppy servo swapping action as well as making nice flush mounted servo hatch covers! I even got to use my pin vice for the first time!

http://youtu.be/W36TBOXn0sE
I actually glued all these little mounting hatch blocks prior to everything (was one of the first things I glued to the fuse shell as I had a feeling they would be a bit of pain).

Also, I had to use a heat gun on the nose gear steering servo hatch due to the curved shape of the fuse.

I like your counter sink screw approache on the servo hatches, may have to change mine.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Hey Wiz,

There's going to be more F-4 flying action today. I'm headed out to the field. Maybe you can sneak away...
Doh! If you still have my phone# you should totally call or text me! I never get the emails when there is a post on here . I actually took a nap because I figured nobody would be out...

How did it go? I was so excited to fly my CBM F-16 I went on Saturday. It was completely dry until I took the exit then it was a downpour and the wind took off like a rocket. When I got to the field the West side of the runway was under water so I drove off in a pissy mood :-)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Here's another video to put you in the Christmas spirit!

Episode #89 (9 min 24 sec)
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Ok, next time I'll just call.

It was pretty nice out there. Hardly any wind and the sun sort of came out for a little while and our man put up the F-4.

The flight went ok but he's still scared of going too slow on the landing which resulted in too much speed on the landing approach along with a bit too much altitude which resulted in a forced elevator dive (that trick never works) which resulted in a boink into the runway which resulted in a snapped off main and a go-around.

The second attempt at landing was with the gear up. There was still a little too much airspeed which resulted in too much ground speed. That sucker slid at least 400 ft down the runway and still ran off the end into the grass. I actually couldn't believe my eyes; it just wouldn't stop. Freaky. I suppose the wetness lowered the coefficient of runway drag. Because of his radio setup he couldn't deploy the parachute because the gear was up.

Fortunately there was no real damage other than the broken strut wire, some black marking from the geotex runway, and some damage to the pilot's ego.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Ok, next time I'll just call.

It was pretty nice out there. Hardly any wind and the sun sort of came out for a little while and our man put up the F-4.

The flight went ok but he's still scared of going too slow on the landing which resulted in too much speed on the landing approach along with a bit too much altitude which resulted in a forced elevator dive (that trick never works) which resulted in a boink into the runway which resulted in a snapped off main and a go-around.

The second attempt at landing was with the gear up. There was still a little too much airspeed which resulted in too much ground speed. That sucker slid at least 400 ft down the runway and still ran off the end into the grass. I actually couldn't believe my eyes; it just wouldn't stop. Freaky. I suppose the wetness lowered the coefficient of runway drag. Because of his radio setup he couldn't deploy the parachute because the gear was up.

Fortunately there was no real damage other than the broken strut wire, some black marking from the geotex runway, and some damage to the pilot's ego.
I'm glad there was no major damage. On Saturday if he'd been landing east to west he would have been fishing for the thing!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:47 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Here was my second flight of my "practice" F-16. The landing was much smoother, but it took a couple of tries to get the approach just right. I stalled it on one attempt when the nose got a little high. It veered to the right and went behind the flight line briefly, but the final landing was just right.

I did not raise the gear because it took forever to get the engine started and I didn't want to risk there not being enough pressure in the system (I wouldn't call it 100% air tight just yet).

2nd CBM Test Flight (6 min 59 sec)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
Man-,that thing flies great!

Chromefreak
chromefreak is offline Find More Posts by chromefreak
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,259 Posts
Agreed, flies well, nice and slow with the higher AOA approaches. Ahh! the smells and sound of nitro, makes you appreciate the simplicity and reliability of EDF, doesn't it?
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:33 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Sorry guys,
Not much progress lately. I mocked up the side panels for the cockpit, that's about it. I also re-painted the areas of the vertical stab and rudder where I had pulled the paint off with tape. Below is the mockup of the cockpit.
Oh, one more thing… I had to remove the red "Arkansas" banner across the top of the vertical stab to repaint. I contacted Callie Graphics to see if they can make me some new ones. I HATE the water decal process and don't want to repeat.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:14 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
855 Posts
That is a nice looking office...love what you did with the place. You also have to get graphics of your name for the side of the cockpit with your call sign "wiz"
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:33 AM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Wiz. Yes, that would be perfect on the side of the cockpit.

Ok man, some of us in the club (the usual suspects) have decided that FAW's needs to have an EDF jet meet this year. We have decided on the Memorial Day weekend. You have got to get her done before then. She'll be the belle of the ball.

No pressure.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
I want to do that!

That sounds Great!! what day will that be?
I'd like to do it If I can make it over there
Memorial Day...That will give me time to put one together
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun