HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
Hi Wis,
I have a NIB CBM F/16. I thought about selling it. How does it fly? I built one about 10 years ago,but sold it before the maiden flight.

Thanks,Dan
chromefreak is offline Find More Posts by chromefreak
Last edited by chromefreak; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromefreak View Post
Hi Wis,
I have a NIB CBM F/16. I thought about selling it. How does it fly? I built one about 10 years ago,but sold it before the maiden flight.

Thanks,Dan
It flies great! I only had to add just a touch of aileron trim! That was my first flight on it (of course someone else did all the hard work of building it and trimming it before me…) In fact I like it so much I'm curious how much you'd sell yours for if you don't end up keeping it for yourself? I'm thinking an electric conversion would be sweet (non EDF)!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
I am about to maiden an Exceed foam 90mm F-18, then build and fly a ProDesign fiberglass 90mm F-18, and then the big F-18. But we digress--

Wisdumb--when is the maiden of the one with the "encapsulated/internal prop"??? You know, the one that looks real good?
We'll shoot for spring. I'll hopefully get lots of time on the "slimer" first and work out those landings. I still have just a touch of slop in the ailerons to work out, that darned nose gear door, cockpit installation and painting the bottom of the plane. The weather is quickly becoming crappy (and cold), too!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
I say you guys should just practice on the Real Flight SIM, it's great for learning or smoothing your skills.

About 4years ago I decided to get into helicopters after flying airplanes since the late 80's, I purchased one of those Real Flight Sims and practiced and learned how to fly on the SIM without crashing as if I was flying the real thing (took me about a month an a half to learn and figure out the dynamics of a heli), anyways I purchased one of these Trex600 nitro fully pimped (I assembled it and my friend set it up for me), when I took it up to the air for the first time it was and felt as if I was flying for sometime, hovering forward flight no problem......I went inverted on my 9th flight (could only hold it for about 10sec).

Ever since that experience I swear by flight Sims, they do work and have an important place in this hobby.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:34 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
I say you guys should just practice on the Real Flight SIM, it's great for learning or smoothing your skills.

About 4years ago I decided to get into helicopters after flying airplanes since the late 80's, I purchased one of those Real Flight Sims and practiced and learned how to fly on the SIM without crashing as if I was flying the real thing (took me about a month an a half to learn and figure out the dynamics of a heli), anyways I purchased one of these Trex600 nitro fully pimped (I assembled it and my friend set it up for me), when I took it up to the air for the first time it was and felt as if I was flying for sometime, hovering forward flight no problem......I went inverted on my 9th flight (could only hold it for about 10sec).

Ever since that experience I swear by flight Sims, they do work and have an important place in this hobby.
I fly on RealFlight a little each night :-) I get a much bigger rush on the real thing, though! I think that the sims are a valuable tool for sure. That's where I learned orientations on helicopters. I practice landings most nowadays (though it sure didn't seem like it on the last flight! LOL)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:17 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
I do fly. I use the Phoenix simulator (love the free and automatic updates...). I also program cross wing and wind gusts to get realistic. I keep a toll of flights and crashes, and keep tabs of my progress. I'm sure it is helping, but still crash planes every now and then. Taking a $3,000 plane to the air has an adverse effect...
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:40 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,855 Posts
Real flight is horrible for simulating jets. They fly nothing like the ones we fly. They can be kinda usefull for getting motions down like 4 point rolls or slow rolls and such. But they don't simulate the wing loading well and always have way less drag then they should. It helps to manually go into the settings and give them more drag.

I agree with the helos though. I was able to go from not being able to fly them at all to hovering inverted in a very short time with the help of a sim. I would have balled up allot of stuff if not for the sim lol.

Nothing beats stick time and Wis that plane is perfect for stick time. Fly it as much as you can.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:15 AM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,469 Posts
The Aerofly 5.7 is an OK sim for Jets and feel almost like the real thing, but I will agreed with GUN , you have to practice with the real beast!
bidule is offline Find More Posts by bidule
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:33 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,550 Posts
I think that for me the only difference from a sim v real flying is that you can't really feel the weight of the aircraft, it did help me with judging air speed on landing approaches (not cool to over shoot the runway and have to go around and even worse is to not have enough air speed).
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:46 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
I just want to get a jet that I can grow with... I have the foam 70mm F-15. That's not it... I had the HL eRC Eurofighter 90mm. That was pretty good, but the retracts and servo extensions were flaky and now it is de -commissioned until I fix it. I flew the FlyFly F100 90mm (big boy...) for 3 flights, and then I decided to put styrospray on it. Stupidest thing I ever did, as I crashed it (not beyond repair, though) on the first flight... However, when I fly on a simulator and see how my skills improve--I have to think that it is helping some. Look, if the simulator is easier than real life, and I still crash there every now and then--what makes me think I will not crash a real plane?

Having said that--I have full confidence with a perfect maiden flight by Wisdumb. I can't wait to see his detailed plane on RCJI and other magazine covers!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:24 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
I just want to get a jet that I can grow with...

\!
Yoram,

You should get a Habu32, its got heavy enough wing loading but no bad tendancies. Alot of the jets you are looking at need to many modifications to get them to fly right. The Habu32 is a straight forward airplane with retracts, flaps etc. to really get comfortable flying jets...
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:56 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,848 Posts
Quote:
I just want to get a jet that I can grow with... I have the foam 70mm F-15. That's not it... I had the HL eRC Eurofighter 90mm. That was pretty good, but the retracts and servo extensions were flaky and now it is de -commissioned until I fix it. I flew the FlyFly F100 90mm (big boy...) for 3 flights, and then I decided to put styrospray on it. Stupidest thing I ever did, as I crashed it (not beyond repair, though) on the first flight... However, when I fly on a simulator and see how my skills improve--I have to think that it is helping some. Look, if the simulator is easier than real life, and I still crash there every now and then--what makes me think I will not crash a real plane?

Having said that--I have full confidence with a perfect maiden flight by Wisdumb. I can't wait to see his detailed plane on RCJI and other magazine covers!
yoram
I find the simulator is harder than real life due to the fact that the pilot has no depth perception on the sim.......so keep flying the sim, your training your muscle memory and thumbs. when you go fly your model it will be easier, except the crashing part try not to do that no reset buttons at the field

get your L39 in the air they are very forgiving and fly great....especially that one. this is a confidence game so get it flying and fly it, build your confidence up while working other projects
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Yoram,

You should get a Habu32, its got heavy enough wing loading but no bad tendancies. Alot of the jets you are looking at need to many modifications to get them to fly right. The Habu32 is a straight forward airplane with retracts, flaps etc. to really get comfortable flying jets...
Brian, you know? I was thinking the same thing. I was looking at that plane. Also tired of spending so much time on putting a plane together (nothing fits, lots of mods) and then crash it. I should get one that is "made to fit"... I will ask for one for my birthday (early January... Flying season is pretty much over for electrics anyway...)

Thanks!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
yoram
I find the simulator is harder than real life due to the fact that the pilot has no depth perception on the sim.......so keep flying the sim, your training your muscle memory and thumbs. when you go fly your model it will be easier, except the crashing part try not to do that no reset buttons at the field

get your L39 in the air they are very forgiving and fly great....especially that one. this is a confidence game so get it flying and fly it, build your confidence up while working other projects
Just about glassed half the plane. Still a lot of work to do (too late to "go stock" with it). Will have the JetFan 90 on 8S in it, but by now--it is again a lot of work, and I kind of lost my nerve with the last two crashes... I might just get the Habu32 as Brian suggested, put it together quickly, while I finish the L39, and continue to finish the big Yellow F-18.

I agree--as long as I continue to crash on the simulator--maybe I'm not ready... Although--I do fly a T-45 (heavy...) in quite windy conditions.

Anyway--I don't want to steal Wisdumb's thunder here...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
11 Posts
Thanks Wis.
I thought about selling it,...but I am thinking that I will keep it. I feel really bad about not flying my first build years ago. (see pictures) I am thinking about going the electric route as well. Looking forward to more videos.from you.

Thanks,DanName: IMG.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 144.5 KB
Description:
chromefreak is offline Find More Posts by chromefreak