SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Post #814

9" in front of the hinge line. Hope that helps! (sorry I didn't reply earlier, RCGroups didn't notify my that there were new posts! Doh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
Nice job Wisdumb! I have been considering a similar paint scheme for mine but I'm still up in the air. I'm going to fly mine ugly for awhile and make her earn her paint!

I'm ready to start working on the cg thou and I can't remember what cg measurement Gunrad used. Maybe Kris or someone else could chime I on this???
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:08 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Nice! Can't wait to see it fly. I want a big foamie F-16 to practice on but don't want the dumb thrust vectoring that all seem to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
I'm doing the same. You remember my Yellow F18? It's almost ready to fly, but since then I build a FlyFly F100, and will now build a FlyFly L39. Those are pretty big and heavy, even if made of foam (my F100 is now styrosprayed, weighing more than 10lb. It was 8.5lb before the StyroSpray...), so they will prepare me well. I already did 3 flights on the F100.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:16 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Post #814

9" in front of the hinge line. Hope that helps! (sorry I didn't reply earlier, RCGroups didn't notify my that there were new posts! Doh!)
Thanks Wis! Just pulled an Aileron slop emergency repair today ala Wisdumb
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
You bet!
I use a badger 150 airbrush (bottom feed). My compressor is a testors um, blue one… The pressure I use on it is "on" LOL. Unfortunately I don't have a gauge on it, I've just modified my technique to work with it. It comes with 3 needles, I used the one with a bigger spray pattern (I think it is referred to as #3).

I will usually thin my Testor Model Master paints significantly (like 1% milk). I also make sure everything is clean clean clean prior to getting up and walking away when I'm done. Almost all bad experiences I have had have been from not cleaning it thoroughly from the previous use.

The equipment I have is all I could afford when I purchased. I got the "best" one that the local hobby store had at the time. There are of course much nicer ones out there. The compressor was cheap, but it gets the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEAIR2 View Post
hi Wis
plus one on the paint job.
Could you post a picture of the compressor and airbrush you use as you seem to have the technique down to a T.
What pressure do you use?
thanks
Steve.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:25 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
After months of trying to figure out how I could attach the nose SECURELY without the use of screws, latches or anything unsightly here is what I have come up with (I know I know… you're probably going to say "It took you months to figure that out?! LOL). It is a hybrid physical/magnetic attachment solution. The nose will go on EXACTLY the same every time and it should look as though there is only a panel line where it connects when I'm done.

The nice thing is that it will be strong enough that it won't come off in flight, but should I dig the nose in it should break off, hopefully sparing the rest of the fuselage or at the very least minimizing damage.

Episode #81 (13 min 25 sec)
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:19 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
855 Posts
thanks for posting Wis.
I thought it was an all singing, all dancing piece of kit. It just goes to show you either have it or you don't.
Well done.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,787 Posts
Wisdumb can you post a link to the purple switch assembly you are using on the nose piece? I really like it and think I need to pick one up.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Here's the next installment, of the installation of the nose. Works like a charm! Snap on! Snap off! The snapper!

Episode #81B (7 min 36 sec)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Wisdumb can you post a link to the purple switch assembly you are using on the nose piece? I really like it and think I need to pick one up.
Here you go!

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/categ...lectrical.html

Mine was Item# (MRC2SWITCHRED). You can get in black, too.

Lot's of really cool "goodies!"

P.S. Don't drop it… I'm going to get another one. I managed to just perfectly drop it some time back on the switch, pushing the assembly out the back. I haven't been able to get it "right" since (it is loose because I broke off a tab on the back). Totally my fault, not a quality issue.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Still plugging along. I have secured the tail-cone to fuse. I had to first re-paint the "chrome" ring just before the turkey feathers due to my leaving tape on it for too long. It pulled the paint off and left several ugly spots. Check out the video for the process I used to secure the tailbone without using screws on the outside.

Episode #82 (12 min 29 sec)

My goal now is to bust butt to get it ready for more taxi tests this weekend. Rumor has it the weather will be dry at least part of the weekend.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 03:37 PM
Dublin Ireland
Joined Aug 2005
855 Posts
Hi Wis
Thanks for part in the video for painting.
Cheers
Steve.
STEVEAIR2 is offline Find More Posts by STEVEAIR2
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:16 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Ok, time to start getting ready for the next taxi test. I'm giving myself 2 nights (Thursday and Friday) to complete. First on the agenda… Thrust tube support in the tail. It's time to retire the popsicle sticks!

Episode #83 (8 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Putting the thrust tube back in, sealing things up and making sure they're centered:

Episode #84 (8 min 32 sec)
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:16 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Check out the video for the process I used to secure the tailbone without using screws on the outside.

My goal now is to bust butt to get it ready for more taxi tests this weekend.
The tailbone's connected to the buttbone...oh, dem, dry bones!

There is no way I can see you accepting that teardrop shape.

Is that tape some kind of mylar or aluminum?

What time do you think you will be at the field tomorrow?

Are you going to get that canopy installed before tomorrow?

I want to see you accidently do the Howard Hughes in the Spruce Goose thing.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:22 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
The tailbone's connected to the buttbone...oh, dem, dry bones!

There is no way I can see you accepting that teardrop shape.

Is that tape some kind of mylar or aluminum?

What time do you think you will be at the field tomorrow?

Are you going to get that canopy installed before tomorrow?

I want to see you accidently do the Howard Hughes in the Spruce Goose thing.
-I did happen to find a suitable ring that is exactly the right size to fit that teardrop dilemma!

-I was under the impression that it is aluminum, but now that you say that it does look like mylar… hmm. Now I'm not sure. I'll bring some along with me on Saturday and I'll let you look.

-I'm going to shoot for 1:30-2:00 at the field

-I'm working on the canopy tonight (and charging all the batteries, checking the air system, etc… I really am hoping to have the canopy for show tomorrow