HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:42 AM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
hey man any way you can make those star and bars white for me? I need one for the wing and the rear fuselage.
Hey Gunn,
Check out Post 71. I added an outline version and one with black. I thought the black might make it easier to cut out. Either way you could either make a template or print on white decal paper and cut out the black. It is a .jpeg file so you should be able to scale to your liking in most applications (each one is currently about 2.5" or so)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:54 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Pepperpete's Avatar
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Well finally started work on the refueling area using Wisdumb's template. Looking pretty snazzy. I took a bit of creative liberty as I always do in my models. The lighting in my kitchen makes the dark gray refuel section (and numbers) look black but in real life it's a really nice subdued military gray color. Used the decal paper as before although the white refuel section was a true cow to get on right. Took me three tries.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:58 AM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Well finally started work on the refueling area using Wisdumb's template. Looking pretty snazzy. I took a bit of creative liberty as I always do in my models. The lighting in my kitchen makes the dark gray refuel section (and numbers) look black but in real life it's a really nice subdued military gray color. Used the decal paper as before although the white refuel section was a true cow to get on right. Took me three tries.
Looks absolutely awesome! I can't wait to get some paint and decals on mine!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:01 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Pepperpete's Avatar
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Looks absolutely awesome! I can't wait to get some paint and decals on mine!
You've done all the hard work for me. All I'm doing is strapping them onto the plane. =)
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:16 PM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Hey gang,
Check out the "new" work area and see what I'm plotting next in this quick video. I'll post another tomorrow after I get some 4-40 pushrods from the hobby shop. I want to finish and be done with that rudder!

YA F-16C Video Update #5 (4 min 15 sec)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:55 PM
Registered User
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Dude you've been such an inspiration (and B1 Bob), that I took the covering off the center wing section of my Sapac L39 and glassed it and re-inforced with carbon fiber! I bungee launch and belly land, so I figured this would help on some not so smooth landings. Came out pretty awesome for my first time;-) Thanks for making it look easy!
Z
jzuniga is online now Find More Posts by jzuniga
Last edited by jzuniga; Jul 31, 2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: added comment
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:59 PM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzuniga View Post
Dude you've been such an inspiration (and B1 Bob), that I took the covering off the center wing section of my Sapac L39 and glassed it and re-inforced with carbon fiber! I bungee launch and belly land, so I figured this would help on some not so smooth landings. Came out pretty awesome for my first time;-) Thanks for making it look easy!
Z
Great! It's not so bad once you try, is it? It's talking yourself into doing it that's tough! This is my first fiberglass project (and the most expensive) and I had many reservations, but it's turning out great.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2010, 09:54 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Pepperpete's Avatar
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
Got some finished on the front. Thanks again to Wisdumb for the decal templates. He does good work. =) I couldn't take other pictures due to the heavy rain today and the lights in my garage give a funny shade to the paint that just isn't there in real lighting conditions.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Last edited by Pepperpete; Aug 01, 2010 at 10:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2010, 01:06 AM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Got some finished on the front. Thanks again to Wisdumb for the decal templates. He does good work. =) I couldn't take other pictures due to the heavy rain today and the lights in my garage give a funny shade to the paint that just isn't there in real lighting conditions.
Looking good! Sweet graphics!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2010, 01:09 AM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Could it be true? Am I really just about done with the vertical stab? YES! Now I can paint it, glue the rudder on and get some decals on the thing. Woohoo! Toot toot!

Yellow F-16 Build #10 (10 min 0 sec)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:22 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Pepperpete's Avatar
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,767 Posts
I have to ask...is this truly how difficult it is to assemble the vert stab? To me that seems as if it would be a design flaw in terms of self assembly. Is this how the manual said to do it?

The reason I ask is I am aiming towards one of the YA F-18's but if I have to scratch build everything I think I will pass. Also at the end of the video when you said that you needed to redo the paint because it was your first time airbrushing, did you mean first time airbrushing this F-16 or airbrushing in general?

I can't wait to see what your jet looks like finished. I ended up using Eggshell (Matt) Acrylic Waterbased house paint from my local paint shop. Same stuff you put on your walls at home. My airbrush has a .5 nozzle instead of the .35 which is perfect for spraying that style paint. A half mix of water to half paint and it goes on perfectly without any clogging of the airbrush. I tried to do it with a .35 and it was a nightmare. I could never get a proper flow of paint. Then I finished it off with a very light coat of Satin clear coat to seal the paint and the decals. Paint is as tough as nails now.
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Last edited by Pepperpete; Aug 02, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:32 AM
KingtechUSA
gunradd's Avatar
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,855 Posts
Pete it sucks so bad because its a hidden linkage. If it was like other F16s it would be easy as just installing a servo in a hatch. But when its done its worth having the hidden linkage. The stock way from yellow is easier but its just pull pull cables and has to much play and caused mine to explode from flutter at Ejets last year. It was probably ok for gas ducted fan but not electric.

I would wait until the plane is all done before you install the decals and paint.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:17 AM
Registered User
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
I have to ask...is this truly how difficult it is to assemble the vert stab? To me that seems as if it would be a design flaw in terms of self assembly. Is this how the manual said to do it?

The reason I ask is I am aiming towards one of the YA F-18's but if I have to scratch build everything I think I will pass. Also at the end of the video when you said that you needed to redo the paint because it was your first time airbrushing, did you mean first time airbrushing this F-16 or airbrushing in general?

I can't wait to see what your jet looks like finished. I ended up using Eggshell (Matt) Acrylic Waterbased house paint from my local paint shop. Same stuff you put on your walls at home. My airbrush has a .5 nozzle instead of the .35 which is perfect for spraying that style paint. A half mix of water to half paint and it goes on perfectly without any clogging of the airbrush. I tried to do it with a .35 and it was a nightmare. I could never get a proper flow of paint. Then I finished it off with a very light coat of Satin clear coat to seal the paint and the decals. Paint is as tough as nails now.
Hey Pete,
This was the only piece I've had issues with and the only one that I was warned of due to the bad original design. I think it will be smooth sailing from here. And I do like the fact that the linkage is hidden for a more scale look.
And this is my first time airbrushing. I'm using thinned model master enamels with the same "FS" numbers as the real paint on the F-16's. I may try to use the larger nozzle on my next try. Thanks for the info.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:03 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Where are guys getting the Hysol from? I can't find it anywhere locally?
...BTW, been subscribed since the beginning;-)
Z
jzuniga is online now Find More Posts by jzuniga
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:06 AM
Registered User
bri6672's Avatar
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,249 Posts
Tamjets has a good price on it and has the right one.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Yellow Aircraft F-16C Down Under - EDF conversion m898 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 528 Oct 12, 2011 10:43 AM
Discussion Yellow Aircraft F-4 Turkish paint scheme wrp7317 Electric Warbirds 0 Mar 31, 2010 10:24 PM
Help! Yellow Aircraft f-16 manual needed raypadro Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Mar 12, 2010 07:05 PM
Discussion Yellow Aircraft F-4 photopack? AAbdu Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 8 Mar 12, 2010 02:22 PM
Poll Online Build -- BVM F-86 vs Yellow Aircraft F-18 k_sonn Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 56 Oct 02, 2008 04:43 PM