SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
I have both the f-15, f-16 and f-18. You can't go wrong with any of Yellows aircraft! My F-16 is getting close. I am running a Stumax SM 100-45 on 12s. I have done some modifications to allow 2 6s 5000 packs to sit just aft of the cockpit and still allow for proper cg. I will post some pics once I get further along. The SM 100-45 is supposed to put our 14.5 lbs and I'm looking at around 16lbs AUW so she should fly good.

Can anyone comment on how heavy they have flown the YA F-16? I believe Suan Evans flew one around 17lbs but haven't heard much more than that.
Do you fly your F18 on 12s too? That's one of my main concerns.. fitting the batteries in the fuse.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Do you fly your F18 on 12s too? That's one of my main concerns.. fitting the batteries in the fuse.
The f-18 has plenty of room, batteries go in the compartment right behind the cockpit. Both models are great and you can't go wrong with either one. The F-18 has a bit more room inside to work on because of the intake being so short. Mine is about 90% completed but I stole the fan to go in my falcon 120 which I have been flying alot. If you look up Strictlyscale Sean's F-18 thread there is a ton of info on it and a few guys flight videos, they fly real good.

I would go 110 or 100mm fan in the F-16, I have Tams ducting and it gives you alot more room in the fuselage to work with.

In my opinion the key to edf in these models is move the fans as far back as possible, and put everything as far back as you can and that will make CGing the model with big packs much easier. I even relocated my elevator servos in the F-16 right in front of the mechanism and used short 2 1/2" titanium linkages. You want every oz you can get as far aft of the cg that you can!
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:25 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Good to hear you are close to flying Brian!

I flew my 6500 mah12 cell BVM set up F16 at 18lbs. It was a much harder plane to fly then the almost 17 pounder I had the last time. When you go over 17 pounds with this plane the performance goes south very fast with wing loading on landing.

Kris, thanks for the feedback, that is exactly what i was hoping to hear!
bri6672 is online now Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:48 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Quick video update. Some stuff for sale, skip to 3:25 if you don't want to see that.

F-16 Update (6 min 40 sec)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:17 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Working on finalizing the ailerons. I had to add caps to the ends to cover the hole I had to make to get to the torque rod "sleeve" that fell inside. I only need to glass the one aileron since I did the other a looooong time ago.

Episode #77A (10 min 1 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Continuing finishing the ailerons. Here is a glassing video for those of you interested. I didn't speed anything up so those interested can see the process from start to finish and the technique.

Episode #77B (13 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:20 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Sorry guys, I couldn't help it… I had to try out those dry transfers from aeroloft… and I love those things! They were a little tough around the curved surface and I had to work out some wrinkles, but man does it look good! I'll make a video next time I swear! (The wings are pretty close to being ready to paint, so it won't be long…)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:20 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Here's part 3 of episode #77. This one's packed full of glass weave filling dry transfer scratching' mayhem!

Episode #77C (9 min 41 sec)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:48 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Sorry guys, I couldn't help it… I had to try out those dry transfers from aeroloft… and I love those things! They were a little tough around the curved surface and I had to work out some wrinkles, but man does it look good! I'll make a video next time I swear! (The wings are pretty close to being ready to paint, so it won't be long…)
You got your hatch nice and low/flush, looks like I'm going to have to work on it a bit more in order to get it that nice.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:09 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
I struggled for many months wondering how I was going to get that thing to settle down. Lots of the ones I've seen online bulge up and aren't flush with the fuselage. The thing that made it amazingly easier was super simple… just sand the corners at an angle to alleviate the rigidity of the structure and allow it to conform.

P.S. not sure why the pictures got rotated sideways, they were taken normally and appeared normally in the upload "browser".
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:42 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
I struggled for many months wondering how I was going to get that thing to settle down. Lots of the ones I've seen online bulge up and aren't flush with the fuselage. The thing that made it amazingly easier was super simple… just sand the corners at an angle to alleviate the rigidity of the structure and allow it to conform.

P.S. not sure why the pictures got rotated sideways, they were taken normally and appeared normally in the upload "browser".
Thanks for the tip Wis
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:43 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Here's the last of the aileron finishing. I have to say I really think the bondo spot putty and acetone brush on technique to fill the weave is the way to go. It sands so easy and gives a good finish. I also think it saves on weight.

Episode #77D (1 min 57 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Ok guys, it's starting to get to that time in the build where I need to start thinking of the scale details. Does anyone have any information on good walk around photos, decal placement, etc… for my particular plane? It is the Arkansas Razorbacks. There seems to be very few pics on the internet.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:07 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Time to start prepping the missile rails for paint. I primed them and am in the process of eliminating the seam with some bondo spot putty.
Something tells me these would look much sweeter with some missiles attached!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
565 Posts
Missile rails! Plus: An emergency repair!

Episode #78 (7 min 16 sec)