SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
It's good to hear from you, Wis.

I was starting to worry about where you went. I was hoping to see you at the FAW's picnic last Saturday but you were a no-show.

I'm also glad to see you working on stuff that needs to be done (on the F-16) instead of that canopy lift (which can wait until after you fly it!).
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:57 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
It's good to hear from you, Wis.

I was starting to worry about where you went. I was hoping to see you at the FAW's picnic last Saturday but you were a no-show.

I'm also glad to see you working on stuff that needs to be done (on the F-16) instead of that canopy lift (which can wait until after you fly it!).
I'm still kickin'. The last couple of months have been crazy… lets just say there was a house involved, contractors, losing the function of my hands for a day as they swelled up for no apparent reason, a funeral and the loss of 5 of my teeth. To add insult to injury I chipped a tooth yesterday.

Yeah, I was hoping very much not to have to upgrade my receiver but I just can't get the timing right for the two servos to close and lock the canopy and all my other channels are used up (unless I want to give up brakes.)

I'm hoping I'll be able to stop by the field on Saturday.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:00 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Tonight I put in the brass sleeves for the other side for the aileron torque rods. I'm having difficulty finding the pieces for the aileron torque rod arm to match the first one. I know I have them somewhere, but they aren't in my "F-16" pile of parts.

One note: In the video I said I wasn't sure I built it with the correct parts because it looked different than the picture. On closer examination, the picture just has a clevis attached, which I hadn't done yet. What I have in the video is built correctly for those of you watching closely.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:37 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
So, you got into a fight with a contractor over the house, he knocked 5 teeth out which really ticked you off and then you killed him with your bare hands which made them swell up and then you chipped a tooth gnawing your way through the bars on the jail windows to escape?
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
So, you got into a fight with a contractor over the house, he knocked 5 teeth out which really ticked you off and then you killed him with your bare hands which made them swell up and then you chipped a tooth gnawing your way through the bars on the jail windows to escape?
It's like you were there!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:42 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Here's the completed aileron torque rod assemblies and some aileron movie' action.

Note: Be sure when you install the brass tubes on the inside that they do not protrude past the wooden servo tray… I had one that had about 1/8" protrusion and it made it so that I could not put on the aileron because none of the hinges would line up. I had to grind it down to make it work.

Episode #76 (4 min 24 sec)
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:14 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Looks good, have you read anything on elevator mixing with flaperons? I would like to run flaperons but didn't want any unexpected pitch changes in the air!
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Guys, ones you remove the none brake wheel adpt. off the main wheel axle and slide the brake rotor followed by the wheel, How do you get the nylon washer on prior to the c-clip (not much room left there and I pushed the brake rotor on the axle as far as it will go)??????

BTW, the foam wheels suck a$$, they dont even roll straight.
Hi wis, can you give me your two cents on it? Did you even use the nylon washer?
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Hi wis, can you give me your two cents on it? Did you even use the nylon washer?
Sorry Super, missed your question when you first posted it.

I don't think I put the nylon washers on, see pic. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects that I have seen thus far.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Sorry Super, missed your question when you first posted it.

I don't think I put the nylon washers on, see pic. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects that I have seen thus far.
I'm not using the nylon washers as well, just confirming what others are doing, anyways thanks.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Well I'm about convinced to start a project like this. Love the F16. (And thanks for the extra input Wisdumb!)

One damper on the plans though. I called YellowAircraft and they're 6 months out on getting any in stock. Hm.... maybe F18 instead. :/
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Well I'm about convinced to start a project like this. Love the F16. (And thanks for the extra input Wisdumb!)

One damper on the plans though. I called YellowAircraft and they're 6 months out on getting any in stock. Hm.... maybe F18 instead. :/
Single or double? I'd love to try the double someday. Ron101 has a build thread going now on one.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Single or double? I'd love to try the double someday. Ron101 has a build thread going now on one.
I'd do the single. Space for storage/transportation and also cost of getting it into the air are both factors. Not that the double wouldn't be really cool though..
dennisjm is online now Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
I have both the f-15, f-16 and f-18. You can't go wrong with any of Yellows aircraft! My F-16 is getting close. I am running a Stumax SM 100-45 on 12s. I have done some modifications to allow 2 6s 5000 packs to sit just aft of the cockpit and still allow for proper cg. I will post some pics once I get further along. The SM 100-45 is supposed to put our 14.5 lbs and I'm looking at around 16lbs AUW so she should fly good.

Can anyone comment on how heavy they have flown the YA F-16? I believe Suan Evans flew one around 17lbs but haven't heard much more than that.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:40 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,842 Posts
Good to hear you are close to flying Brian!

I flew my 6500 mah12 cell BVM set up F16 at 18lbs. It was a much harder plane to fly then the almost 17 pounder I had the last time. When you go over 17 pounds with this plane the performance goes south very fast with wing loading on landing.

For the flapperons.....
I used them but really only for show or to slow the plane down. They really did not help much for landing.

They will make the plane pitch down and the ailerons will become very mushy.If I was a little hot on approach I would wait until I got the plane on final then go full flapperon to help slow the plane down then back up to a quarter flapperon for landing. Landing with full flapperon did not do much and with the ailerons so mushy a cross wind might not be to much fun.
gunradd is online now Find More Posts by gunradd