HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,841 Posts
The install was inside a BVM F16 and was done by the great Ralf Dorvak (RIP)

How ever you do it I would recomend to make sure its locked before flight and open it after landing. When I had mine I would taxi out with it open and close it before taking off. Well that was until a strong head wind kept it from locking and it departed the plane after takeoff.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,499 Posts
Wis, dont give yourself a headache with all those linkages just put a sub micro servo in the nose to actuate a locking pin and just program it in your radio (that's what most people I see do and it would be easy to do since you already cut the nose off the jet).

Back in post #795 I was talking about needing to come up with a way to install the canopy hinges so that I have access to my fuel tanks if I ever need to take them out (in the picture you can see the limited space I'm dealing with........May have to just live with a permanent install if I cant find a solution).

Was going to glue the two front bulkheads a while back but ended only gluing the middle one (holding off on the front till I finish the nose gear steering).
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
Yep, there's that hysteresis I was talking about. Saved me a sketch.

Adding a servo would probably be less fiddly though. And since you spent so much money on that radio...

Ok, I'll shut up.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Wis, dont give yourself a headache with all those linkages just put a sub micro servo in the nose to actuate a locking pin and just program it in your radio (that's what most people I see do and it would be easy to do since you already cut the nose off the jet).

Back in post #795 I was talking about needing to come up with a way to install the canopy hinges so that I have access to my fuel tanks if I ever need to take them out (in the picture you can see the limited space I'm dealing with........May have to just live with a permanent install if I cant find a solution).

Was going to glue the two front bulkheads a while back but ended only gluing the middle one (holding off on the front till I finish the nose gear steering).
Wow, that is tight. It would be difficult not to make it permanent.

I may use the existing servo for the latch and buy a little bigger one with more torque for the canopy.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:24 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Yep, there's that hysteresis I was talking about. Saved me a sketch.

Adding a servo would probably be less fiddly though. And since you spent so much money on that radio...

Ok, I'll shut up.
If I use another servo it'll be on a Y because I've used up all my channels on the receiver. Doh!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,841 Posts
I had 2 servos for my canopy and had them on the same channel. Using servo slow you can get it to work but it takes a lot of trial and error.

I had a big servo that moved the canopy up and down. Then a small micro servo the moved a control horn that I shaped like a hook with a dremel. I had it just forward of the canopy. It grabbed a small rail I had on the canopy.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:57 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2007
634 Posts
Maybe you could try doing it with one or two Lado electric gear door actuators? you might have enough strength to not even need a locking mechanism, maybe just some vertical locating pins to stop any horizontal movement and rely on the actuator to hold it down. Just a thought...

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/e-doors/...door-30mm.html
EDF Crazy is offline Find More Posts by EDF Crazy
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:34 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Crazy View Post
Maybe you could try doing it with one or two Lado electric gear door actuators? you might have enough strength to not even need a locking mechanism, maybe just some vertical locating pins to stop any horizontal movement and rely on the actuator to hold it down. Just a thought...

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/e-doors/...door-30mm.html
Those are so cool.

If they are strong enough it may be worth experimenting (I would go with two of them, one on each canopy hinge).
Old Jul 27, 2012, 04:40 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2006
560 Posts
I have a Lado on my Spark nose door, very strong indeed. Huge amounts of torque. Haven't measured it nor do i know how much. They aren't travel adjustable. They are designed to stop at each end of their stroke. I'm guessing they are current limited

Chris
icicles is online now Find More Posts by icicles
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I have a Lado on my Spark nose door, very strong indeed. Huge amounts of torque. Haven't measured it nor do i know how much. They aren't travel adjustable. They are designed to stop at each end of their stroke. I'm guessing they are current limited

Chris
Too bad they are not travel adjustable.......no biggy.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:23 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
You can try this. Works pretty good, and fully programmable: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11258
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
I managed to maiden my Yellow F-16 this morning. It flies wonderfully.

Check out the pictures and post-build comments here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701338
GudmundT is offline Find More Posts by GudmundT
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:46 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GudmundT View Post
I managed to maiden my Yellow F-16 this morning. It flies wonderfully.

Check out the pictures and post-build comments here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701338
Love your work
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:54 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,499 Posts
Guys, ones you remove the none brake wheel adpt. off the main wheel axle and slide the brake rotor followed by the wheel, How do you get the nylon washer on prior to the c-clip (not much room left there and I pushed the brake rotor on the axle as far as it will go)??????

BTW, the foam wheels suck a$$, they dont even roll straight.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:42 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
I'm back! Here's some torque rod installin' action!

Episode #75 (10 min 20 sec)