HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,646 Posts
You should add another servo with a locking pin at the front.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:10 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,842 Posts
For sure something that locks in the front.

The plane has a positive pressure inside the fuselage inflight from the little aux inlets and will blow it right off the plane.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Hey Wisdumb,

Do you know where the cg will be? I was reading that the real f-16 was designed to be unstable with the cg in the rear. I'm wondering if rc models of f-16s are designed to be nose heavy to avoid instability issues.

I wonder how well an unstable F-16 would fly if it was controlled by gyros...

Thanks, love your videos.
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking
Last edited by arrowking; Jul 21, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:23 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowking View Post
Hey Wisdumb,

Do you know where the cg will be? I was reading that the real f-16 was designed to be unstable with the cg in the rear. I'm wondering if rc models of f-16s are designed to be nose heavy to avoid instability issues.
I wonder how well an unstable F-16 would fly if it was controlled by gyros...

Thanks, love your videos.
The CG will be 9" in front of the aileron hinge line. Others who have flown with the CG behind that have said it is risky.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:35 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Hey gang... In regards to the canopy locking I am toying with some different ideas. I think I can have the canopy and locking mechanism operate from the same servo using opposite sides of the servo arm. I've been playing with it in my head and think I've got it worked out.

Also, I'm redesigning the setup a little which will allow both sides of the canopy frame to be attached/operated simultaneously from the servo to allow smoother operation. (I may be upgrading the servo, too)
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:47 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
I'm glad you didn't have to verbally abuse your camera in the last video.

The next time your wife is out at the field I'm going to suggest some tools that she should buy you for your birthday.

Might I make a suggestion on your canopy servo linkage? Consider orienting the arm so that when it is in the closed position it is pointing straight down and the linkage is in line with it. That way the aero forces on the canopy won't be able to back drive the servo. This will give the servo huge mechanical advantage and basically lock the canopy down. Also, when in the closed position the servo won't have to do any work and draw power. I drew a crude sketch (although I left out the cheese hole). Since you have spent all of your money on that radio instead of a pin vise and the right size x-acto for #11 blades you will be able to adust the programming to suit.
Nice! I like it, though the omission of a proper cheese hole is disturbing! LOL
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:20 AM
Joined Jun 2012
101 Posts
Hi Wis (and everyone else)

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I must say you are one precise builder- nice to see!

I finally took the plunge (after looking at many kits, turbine and EDF), paid my $$ (or ZAR in my case) and ordered a Y/A F16 of my own, which is on it's way somewhere in the world. I already have the SM100-45 fan with 975KV HET motor sitting in my garage - but now I'm trying to decide on a good ESC. Planning to run 12S 40-45C+ packs.

Was originally keen on the CC160HV but was scared off a bit by all the "afterburners"! Seeing as we're a bit far from the action here in Africa, could you (or anyone else) comment on the reliability of the new CC controllers - have they sorted their issues out? If not - was also considering a YGE, Kontronic or Jeti ESC but the Europeans like to charge more $$ for their stuff.

I don't mean to sidetrack your thread - but all the F16 / Stumax people in-the-know seem to be here. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Regards,

BusdriverSA
BusdriverSA is offline Find More Posts by BusdriverSA
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusdriverSA View Post
Hi Wis (and everyone else)

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I must say you are one precise builder- nice to see!

I finally took the plunge (after looking at many kits, turbine and EDF), paid my $$ (or ZAR in my case) and ordered a Y/A F16 of my own, which is on it's way somewhere in the world. I already have the SM100-45 fan with 975KV HET motor sitting in my garage - but now I'm trying to decide on a good ESC. Planning to run 12S 40-45C+ packs.

Was originally keen on the CC160HV but was scared off a bit by all the "afterburners"! Seeing as we're a bit far from the action here in Africa, could you (or anyone else) comment on the reliability of the new CC controllers - have they sorted their issues out? If not - was also considering a YGE, Kontronic or Jeti ESC but the Europeans like to charge more $$ for their stuff.

I don't mean to sidetrack your thread - but all the F16 / Stumax people in-the-know seem to be here. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Regards,

BusdriverSA
You're in luck, Pepprpete just started a thread yesterday on the topic:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169621

I can't speak from experience on the CC controllers since this is my first high power project, but my opinion is that for any of them there are so many variables that the reliability is a difficult unit of measure. So statements such as "I've had three of them blow up on me in the last two years" etc..., can be misleading.

I'll use myself as an example on the whole spektrum vs futaba thing. I had 4 of them fail on me within a week! The problems ranged from not binding to only getting a solid light, to nothing at all except for being warm. Why would anybody buy that brand?

Sounds like its time to switch to Futaba, right? Well, I left out the part about that I didn't know at the time that lipos had a higher voltage than what is rated for the receiver and was plugging them directly to the receiver so I was blowing them out almost instantly. I'm still a JR guy.

So, I'm not saying that people with much more experience than I haven't had issues with their CC controllers, but I wanted to illustrate that there are variables we just may not know that may have contributed to a failure. I'm choosing to use Castle for the time being.

Also, the Castle thread seems to have slowed significantly so one of two things have happened. Either everyone got scared and switched brands, or castle has resolved their issues.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,505 Posts
You can always mount your setup on a bench and simulate flight loads till you feel good about putting it in your plane.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
101 Posts
Yes it looks like I am in luck-will keep an eye on that thread whilst enjoying yours. Thanks!
BusdriverSA is offline Find More Posts by BusdriverSA
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:15 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
955 Posts
So far I've had fairly good service with CC products. I did have an ESC burn out recently but that may have been because I'm on the limit of the battery length lead. Thankfully it fried at hook-up and not in the air.

They did support my problem well and quickly. They sold me a replacement ESC for a fair price given that I had used my old one for about three years and it had 130 flights on it.

Wis, on that canopy lock thing. I was going to suggest that you could have an arm 90 degrees from the one in my sketch (at 3:00) and it could be attached to a cable to operate the lock. When the canopy is in the open position it's arm would be at 6:00 and there wouldn't be much movement. Perhaps you could also make use of one of those connectors with the pin and retainer that uses a set screw. Leave the set screw out and put collars and a spring on the canopy lift linkage so you have some hysteresis. Maybe even have the canopy lift arm go a little past 6:00.

I think I need another sketch.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Last edited by Lance Nordby; Jul 26, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:23 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
I finally got a chance to watch this. Thanks for sharing. Tons of flight video!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:26 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
So far I've had fairly good service with CC products. I did have an ESC burn out recently but that may have been because I'm on the limit of the battery length lead. Thankfully it fried at hook-up and not in the air.

They did support my problem well and quickly. They sold me a replacement ESC for a fair price given that I had used my old one for about three years and it had 130 flights on it.

Wis, on that canopy lock thing. I was going to suggest that you could have an arm 90 degrees from the one in my sketch (at 3:00) and it could be attached to a cable to operate the lock. When the canopy is in the open position it's arm would be at 6:00 and there wouldn't be much movement. Perhaps you could also make use of one of those connectors with the pin and retainer that uses a set screw. Leave the set screw out and put collars and a spring on the canopy lift linkage so you have some hysterisis. Maybe even have the canopy lift arm go a little past 6:00.

I think I need another sketch.
I think we're thinking along the same lines, but I'll take a sketch for good measure. :-)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:47 AM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,505 Posts
The 16 looks so good with the demo colors (notice the two pc nose gear door, very interesting).
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:42 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
I found this on the internet which is similar to what I was thinking using a single servo for the lock mechanism and canopy mechanism. The yellow hinge is offset so I can't connect directly on the pivot point like on this example, but you get the idea…

F-16 canopy operation internal (0 min 10 sec)