Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
GREAT build thread thanks for the data and all the cool vids

I should have mine in the air next week.
That's great hoser! How much does yours weigh? Better post a pic!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:55 PM
shut up & fly
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2001
3,804 Posts
12 pounds

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=46

no bells or whistles 4000 mah bats 80A draw 8# thrust it's on the complete opposite spectrum of what you are doing.
hoser is offline Find More Posts by hoser
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:54 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Late night episode! I fixed the gear problems (Tracking and brakes.) Check it out in the video:

Episode #72 (4 min 35 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:41 AM
United States, NJ, Vernon
Joined May 2006
6 Posts
Great Build Thread!!! I have been following on both sites.. I am planing on a yellow kit for a winter build this year. Just haven't decided witch one I want to do.

The motor sounds great!!! Do you happen to know how much thrust you have with your set up?
phjoker is offline Find More Posts by phjoker
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:55 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,456 Posts
Wishing all Americans and especially American Service Men & Women a Happy 4 of July, may you all be blessed for your fight for freedom across the world.

Cheers
super kupfer is online now Find More Posts by super kupfer
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
Hi.

With all due respect, I noticed on your vid #71 on youtube, you taxied the model around a bit, then captured it between your legs and throttled up.

I know it's a quality fan, but me personally, I would stand clear (and anyone else) of any high speed moving parts. Especially in the rotors arc.

Again, great work and very helpful.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:32 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
Hi.

With all due respect, I noticed on your vid #71 on youtube, you taxied the model around a bit, then captured it between your legs and throttled up.

I know it's a quality fan, but me personally, I would stand clear (and anyone else) of any high speed moving parts. Especially in the rotors arc.

Steve
Noted, and a great point. People, don't do what I did! RC should not be a form of birth control!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
So I went to the flying field today to test out the brakes that are now working properly, along with my corrected tracking. Charged all the batteries, headed out to the field, pulled out the plane and realized… Those fancy batteries I charged were still at home
"No problem, I'll fly my helicopter" I said to myself. So I got it out, took off, and about 20 seconds later it blew itself up in the sky and came crashing down.
Looks like a bolt didn't have enough loctite and came out of the rotor head. Ha! I love helicopters! But it was fun and should be easy to repair.
Not all was a bust. I got to meet some new members today, one of which will be going to college with our son in the same field. He had cool goodies, one of which was a self designed quad copter. So still had fun and was a relaxing day.
Have a safe 4th everyone!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:18 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phjoker View Post
Great Build Thread!!! I have been following on both sites.. I am planing on a yellow kit for a winter build this year. Just haven't decided witch one I want to do.

The motor sounds great!!! Do you happen to know how much thrust you have with your set up?
I'm sorry, I don't have any idea of my thrust yet. Right now it's set at "hurts my ankles if I'm standing over it"
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:40 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
Hi.

Steve
+1 on that.

I tested the HET 9305 and 700-68 motor (3000W combo) when all of a sudden the rotor just took of and flew forward like nobody's business. I now try those from a safe distance...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:21 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
946 Posts
Ok, well when I was filming I had the same thought but I hate it when the cameraman talks because it's so loud so I kept my mouth shut. He couldn't have heard me anyway.

Besides, he had me do the same thing with my shins on the LE until I screamed owwwie! And I figured if he was going to put my valuables in jeopardy then it would be his just rewards if the fan came apart.

Actually I felt pretty safe since the fan had been run up a bunch and the hatch was over it but I guess you never know.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:26 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Ok, it was a dumb EDF noob mistake, I still have all my body parts and I am the temporary poster child of what not to do. I appreciate everyone's input and will not make the same mistake again. Going forward please send me an IM on this subject and I'll try to keep the thread focused on the build.

The plane is still in the car from my last unsuccessful trip to the flying field. I've decided it will stay there until the shop is cleaned up. I need two more 6" servo extensions from the power switches to the batteries and we should be all wired up!

I want to test the brakes before I hook up the ailerons because that will involve removing the duct. I'll head to the flying field on Saturday and get the ailerons hooked up Sunday. That's the plan.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:40 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
I tried again the flying field today and the brakes work fine. I think I like the solid braking better than the "anti-lock."

Dave at the flying field helped me get my radio programmed so that the brakes are activated when I put in about 40%-50% down elevator. I just couldn't get it to activate. It turned out all that was to crank up the sub trim some.

While testing the brakes we noticed it started listing to one side. I thought that was strange. When we brought it back to the bench we noticed one of the bolts that attaches the gear to the bulkhead was gone! Doh! I checked the other bolt and it was loose as well. I was planning on going through and applying loctite to everything later, but maybe sooner than later is better
We found the bolt on the runway and put it back in.

One last "that sorta sucks" moment was when I wanted to test the non anti-lock braking. The balsa block I have holding the pushrod tube in place for the nose steering busted loose from the fuselage. I'll make another with some ply and hysol in place.

It's hot and miserable so I'm not sure how much progress I'll make this weekend.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
887 Posts
I'd recommend putting your brakes on a separate slider switch and not mixing them with your elevator. I just went through the process of getting my turbine waiver and I did the same thing by programming a mix but my CD told me it was a bad idea having my brakes on a mix. He said pushing down elevator at a high speed will lighten the rear of the plane and create some instability during roll-out. With that recommendation I programmed my brakes to the right slider on my transmitter and it works great.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Last edited by Double E; Jul 07, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:43 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
I'd recommend putting your brakes on a separate slider switch and not mixing them with your elevator. I just went through the process of getting my turbine waiver and I did the same thing by programming a mix but my CD told me it was a bad idea having my brakes on a mix. He said pushing down elevator at a high speed will lighten the rear of the plane and create some instability during roll-out. With that recommendation I programmed my brakes to the right slider on my transmitter and it works great.
I had it on the slider already and moved to elevator today. I can adjust how much elevator is needed to activate the brakes, so I can dial it down. I'll play around with it and see. Easy enough to switch back. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. for those that are wondering, the air sequencer has a safety built in that does not allow the brakes to be used when the gear is up. That way you don't waste the air.