HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri6672 View Post
So are the turkey feathers the light gun metal buffed out over the black?
LOL Turkey Feathers. I always wondered what those where called. And yup you are correct. The end result looks pretty decent. There is a thin line between enough buff and too much though.

Oops not trying to Hijack the thread! How's it coming Wisdumb? More pictures needed!
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Woohoo! I finally got my air cylinders! This time I got them on my first attempt direct from the Yellow website in 3 days flat! Now I can install the gear, doors, duct and bulkheads! This in turn will allow me to finish the wings! (Can you tell I'm excited now?) The only bad thing is I'm headed out of town this weekend so I'll have to wait. Bummer!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:12 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
LOL Turkey Feathers. I always wondered what those where called. And yup you are correct. The end result looks pretty decent. There is a thin line between enough buff and too much though.

Oops not trying to Hijack the thread! How's it coming Wisdumb? More pictures needed!
I started a vid to show how to do panel lines on the horizontal stabs but I need a better 3-view on this area. I'm going to sand it back down and try again. I think I'll order some chart tape, too. I figure I better do it perfect for this kind of money!

It'll probably be next week before I get more vids out, but now that I have my air cylinders for the gear doors I should be able to rock n roll...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:51 PM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Keep em' coming
love the vids!
Z
jzuniga is offline Find More Posts by jzuniga
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:00 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
I started a vid to show how to do panel lines on the horizontal stabs but I need a better 3-view on this area. I'm going to sand it back down and try again. I think I'll order some chart tape, too. I figure I better do it perfect for this kind of money!

It'll probably be next week before I get more vids out, but now that I have my air cylinders for the gear doors I should be able to rock n roll...
Take a look here for some really detailed vector drawings of F-16s (and any other modern fighter) it's free to join. They have some great 3 view drawings.

http://www.the-blueprints.com

Just go to the drawings database, modern fighters, then general dynamics

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post

be careful with the cylinder for the nose gear door. the cylinder on the NG door on the F-16 i'm building for a customer had a cold solder joint and after about 6 operations of the door the upper nipple broke off.

Otherwise, have fun with the doors. The mains are fairly simple, but the nose is a $@#)*#
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,877 Posts
Yep he is right. I had to use a torch and re solder mine because I was removing an airline and the nipple came off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
be careful with the cylinder for the nose gear door. the cylinder on the NG door on the F-16 i'm building for a customer had a cold solder joint and after about 6 operations of the door the upper nipple broke off.

Otherwise, have fun with the doors. The mains are fairly simple, but the nose is a $@#)*#
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jul 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN79 View Post
Take a look here for some really detailed vector drawings of F-16s (and any other modern fighter) it's free to join. They have some great 3 view drawings.

http://www.the-blueprints.com

Just go to the drawings database, modern fighters, then general dynamics

Mark
Thanks! Will do!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
44 Posts
Hi Wisdumb. Excellent thread mate.
Do you mind if i ask what program you use to scale up your vector graphics?
I have a .SVG file that im trying to enlarge by 1400% so i can use the fuselage cross sections for a scratch build project.
So far im stumped Lol
bandits is offline Find More Posts by bandits
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:48 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandits View Post
Hi Wisdumb. Excellent thread mate.
Do you mind if i ask what program you use to scale up your vector graphics?
I have a .SVG file that im trying to enlarge by 1400% so i can use the fuselage cross sections for a scratch build project.
So far im stumped Lol
I use Adobe Illustrator. I believe you could also use photoshop. If you PM me we can exchange emails and I can scale it for you.
Last edited by Wisdumb; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:44 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Ok, I haven't been killed or maimed in the line of model building action. I bought a more suitable workbench and have been installing that. I have also been working on some of the vector graphics to be my decals. Check 'em out! (I haven't yet converted the refueling markings to vector yet or resized to the correct scale in relation to the other two decals)
Last edited by Wisdumb; Jul 30, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 06:50 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,877 Posts
hey man any way you can make those star and bars white for me? I need one for the wing and the rear fuselage.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:28 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Hey Gang,
I will have a video coming this weekend for sure. In the meantime I'm proud to say I got an honorable mention from B1-Bob in one of his latest videos. Check it out at 7Min 30seconds below. For those of you who haven't seen his videos, he is a wealth of knowledge and has really helped me learn a lot (especially glassing and finishing). While I'm at it, I'd also like to thank some others on the forums who have some great build logs and have offered great input such as Ron101, Gunradd, Timrob, and Pepperpete. I appreciate all of you who have helped me along.

how to build a rc jet F-105 thunderchief # 16 (10 min 0 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,877 Posts
Np bro. Just want to see it all work out for ya man. I wish you had time to get her done before Ejets so we can sit them side by side. BTW where do you live?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:45 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Np bro. Just want to see it all work out for ya man. I wish you had time to get her done before Ejets so we can sit them side by side. BTW where do you live?
I live in Wilsonville, Oregon (Near Portland). I think there's only 2 states that I could live any further from you! LOL. I'd love to go to E-Jets as I've never even seen an RC Jet fly! (Electric or otherwise...) So sad, I know... :-(