SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:19 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,566 Posts
Im planning to put a P80 in my falcon for power, would 75oz/in servo be enough for the Ail???
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
Last edited by super kupfer; Jun 14, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Im planning to put a P80 in my falcon for power, would 75oz/in servo be enough for the Ail???
The f16 will be a rocket ship with a P80 inside it.
If its a good servo you should be fine.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:28 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
The f16 will be a rocket ship with a P80 inside it.
If its a good servo you should be fine.
Thanks Gun.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:19 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Hey Wis, aren't there going to be any new episodes until next fall? I miss my favorite show.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Hey Wis, aren't there going to be any new episodes until next fall? I miss my favorite show.
I'll have to get on it! Been bringing work home and it's been interfering with my F-16 project. I hope to have something up for this weekend.

P.S. looks like there are some 80mm stumax fans back in stock on that link I sent you!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,566 Posts
Hi Gun

On your "Yellow F16" build thread on post #112 I noticed that you did a mod of having the ail servos moved to the wings for easy wing plug in, can you give us your feedback on it.

I'm really interested in doing it as well due to wanting easy plug in wing setup for transportation reasons.

I was thinking of using JR DS378HV servos, what did you use???
Last edited by super kupfer; Jun 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,866 Posts
It worked well with the servos in the wings. I used the digital hitechs back then that where for thin wings. I would not use them agian because I burned some out on different projects. The JRs should work well.

Me being so into scale like I am I much preffer the servos in the fuselage just for looks. The wingspan is not the big on this plane so I never took the wings off.

If you plan of pulling the wings off allot it would be worth doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Hi Gun

On your "Yellow F16" build thread on post #112 I noticed that you did a mod of having the ail servos moved to the wings for easy wing plug in, can you give us your feedback on it.

I'm really interested in doing it as well due to wanting easy plug in wing setup for transportation reasons.

I was thinking of using JR DS378HV servos, what did you use???
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
It worked well with the servos in the wings. I used the digital hitechs back then that where for thin wings. I would not use them agian because I burned some out on different projects. The JRs should work well.

Me being so into scale like I am I much preffer the servos in the fuselage just for looks. The wingspan is not the big on this plane so I never took the wings off.

If you plan of pulling the wings off allot it would be worth doing.
Thanks Gun.

I know what you mean about the wingspan being small but I also dont want it to be the only plane I take with me (I want to fit at least two planes in my GM Terrain).
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:02 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Ok, here's a video recap of my last build post:

Episode #67 (8 min 49 sec)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
I would be remiss if i didn't voice my concerns regarding the CA on the wires.

I really like the idea in principle but my fear is that CA is stiff and will create stress concentrations that could potentially cause the conductors to break inside from fatigue. They will need to be supported well to prevent this. I might steal this idea but I would use a flexible glue like canopy cement or RTV.

Please pardon my pedantic pickyness Wis, but I would really hate to see this thing go in someday from a flight control failure.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
I would be remiss if i didn't voice my concerns regarding the CA on the wires.

I really like the idea in principle but my fear is that CA is stiff and will create stress concentrations that could potentially cause the conductors to break inside from fatigue. They will need to be supported well to prevent this. I might steal this idea but I would use a flexible glue like canopy cement or RTV.

Please pardon my pedantic pickyness Wis, but I would really hate to see this thing go in someday from a flight control failure.
Hey Lance,
Is your concern the wires themselves being glued together, or where I glued to the side of the fuselage (Where there may be bends, etc..?)
I'm actually trying to figure out how I can drill some holes in each bulkhead nearest where they are glued to the fuselage so I can run these straight through rather than having to make the 2 bends.
I guess if it does go down for something like that it would be totally scale as these things had/have a wire chafing problem that cause "catastrophic" failures. Too scale? I'll re-evaluate.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
742 Posts
I didn't see the video but I use hot glue for keeping the wiring in place and it works well. It's flexible and won't fatigue the insulation. I also learn that not matter how muh I plan and think ahead it's very likely I'll have to take apart stuff that was permanent. With the hot glue you just pull it off clean and no mess is left behind, on the plane or the wires .
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Well, if the wires are made to be stiff and there is vibration that wants to flex them then they may break over time. But if the wires are fully supported and can't move then it should be ok. I agree that hot glue is handy too.

Maybe I'm just being a worry-wart.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:56 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,406 Posts
What kind of CA are you using? The first time I dropped CA on a servo wire by mistake, I killed the servo, as the insulation came off the wires and I got exposed wires, all of a sudden.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:07 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,866 Posts
The CA is fine until you need to change something then it comes apart. There is no good way to get this plane all clean looking inside. Its a small plane with limited access and with gear doors and gear its a ton of crap with all the wires and airlines. Also you cant hide the rats nest with panels on top like you can with other planes.

Also a weak point on this plane is where the two halves of the fusealge join from lower to upper. When stressed this plane will sepperate thier and that is right where your wires are CAed too.

I am sure this goes with out saying but make sure you remove all those little screws on the rims beacause they do split and make painting them and installing tires a breeze.

Very nice install your getting close. Looks like a few days work and you can be flying it!
You should probably get it flown before you do all the finishing details. Those dry transfers are expensive and you want to get the plane all dialed in before you install them incase you need to repaint something.