HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:05 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Wow! I have to say these gear are beautiful! I thought they were awesome before, but once you add the paint they really look nice! This was an all day process just for the nose gear, but well worth the effort.

Hints:
-Take your time
-Use several light coats (no heavy drippy messes that way)
-Don't touch! If you aren't sure if its dry it probably isn't
-You can get the spots you missed later, wait for your last coat to dry first.

Landing Gear #2 (4 min 34 sec)
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
I think I've decided on the "color scheme" for my bird. See below. Unfortunately Oregon doesn't seem to have anything interesting and I'm not interested in the crazy color schemes... I want this thing to look military, not like it has a paid sponsor.

Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,233 Posts
toot toot
looking good
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:03 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron101 View Post
toot toot
looking good
Thanks Ron!

I'm making the decals for the vertical stab now. For those of you wondering how, here's what I'm doing:

Photoshop
1) I used photoshop and cropped out the "hog" from the picture I posted earlier.
2) I converted the picture to black and white and adjusted the contrast and brightness to make the image of the hog black and everything else as close to white as possible.
3) Using the magic wand, I selected the lighter areas and hit delete.
4) I then used the eraser tool to delete any unwanted details, rivets, panel lines, etc.. that the magic wand couldn't get.
I ended up with the first image below. The PROBLEM is that this is a bitmap image, meaning that when I try to use it I will end up with a jagged pixelated image. We don't want that, sooooo....

Illustrator
1) I opened the image in illustrator
2) I used the "autotrace" tool and adjusted the "threshold" so that it would smooth things out to my liking and not take away any of the details
3) I adjusted a few lines that autotrace wasn't able to identify correctly and voila!
The final image I ended up with is a vector graphic, meaning it is based on points and math and junk... (translation: I can blow it up as big as I want, even full size, and it will be razor smooth.)
I will do the same thing with the "Arkansas" wording and stripe as well.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:22 AM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Very informative! Nice post... you must be a teacher?
Z
jzuniga is offline Find More Posts by jzuniga
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Hopefully someone is learning something from this... Thats about the only teaching I've done :-). Glad you like the posts.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Back to the Gear!

Ok, I had to take a day off from painting... the nose gear was quite the process. I'm starting the main gear now. I think I can do most of this without too much disassembly. I think I'm only going to remove the back mounting plate, the air cylinder, wheels and the ball joints and paint them separately.
I DO need some input though... take a look at the pictures below. I'm trying to figure out where to mask. I'm thinking in the highlighted circle... See the pics below:
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:26 PM
SoCal/NorCal
Joined Jun 2007
317 Posts
I was taking pics of my GJC F-16 and got some of the MLG, here is what the factory painted gear looks like, it's a Jet Legend Gear. Hope it helps...

Mark
MrN79 is offline Find More Posts by MrN79
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Here's the painted and assembled gear. I'll touch up and weather it a little later. I also still need to paint the wheel hubs.

Landing Gear #3 (4 min 21 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Cool i hope this type of thing catches on. It all started with B1 bob, its SO! fun to watch other peoples builds in video.
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Jul 16, 2010, 08:41 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Cool i hope this type of thing catches on. It all started with B1 bob, its SO! fun to watch other peoples builds in video.
It's also a great motivator to keep going. I'm a big fan of Bobs and think he's a great inspiration. Be sure to subscribe and tell your friends... I'm never quite sure how many people I'm actually reaching. Thanks for the support!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
PROGRESS REPORT:

Well, after "baking" my gear in the sun a couple days I have to say I'm much happier. The paint shrinked and the small wrinkles disappeared. I also put the "L" brackets on correctly.

I had hoped to have the gear installed this week, but it looks like I'm not getting my gear door cylinders (Again!) I even stated on the phone that I would be taking the following week off just to build this plane in hopes I might get them this time. Time to try another supplier :-(

I've also been working on the control arm for the rudder torque rod. It looks like I'll for sure be using plastic for this. I bought the aluminum and couldn't remove the bearing. Check out the completed piece below w/sullivan spring ball mounts.
Last edited by Wisdumb; Jul 19, 2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 05:45 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,855 Posts
Are you getting them from Charles at yellow? He sends me everything the same day I order it. He has gone way out of his way many times to get me something fast.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:12 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunradd View Post
Are you getting them from Charles at yellow? He sends me everything the same day I order it. He has gone way out of his way many times to get me something fast.
I'll give him a try. Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:35 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdumb View Post
Hopefully someone is learning something from this... Thats about the only teaching I've done :-). Glad you like the posts.
Wisdumb,

This is very informative and helpful, as I'm starting to think about my own coloring scheme for an F-16. I chose the Alaskan 18th Aggressor squadron. One question--what paper will you be printing it on? White? Transparent?

Thanks...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon