SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:30 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
Email didn't work for me.

Wisdumb... where did you get your kit from?
I got mine from Yellow San Diego... but it did require a little effort to make it happen. Emails don't seem to go through, I had to contact him several times on the forums through PM's. I had a better experience getting my air cylinders from Charles at the main site.. had them in about 3 or 4 days! Just took 1 phone call.
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:32 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Well, I finally finished reinforcing the duct. That was a pain for sure! With a little bit more planning I could have made it a lot easier... now I know for the next one! Check it out:

Yellow F-16 Build #19 (9 min 29 sec)
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:58 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Installation of the Forward Bulkhead. It's Hysol gluing excitement for all!

Yellow F-16 Build #20 (11 min 27 sec)
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:24 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
Fantastic video's. This thing is really coming along. Does Hysol make a 5 minute version of their super strong stuff?
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Last edited by Pepperpete; Sep 02, 2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 08:52 AM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,878 Posts
Looking good! Nice and clean. You didn't have to reinforce the top of the duct in the back only the bottom in the flat area and the little triangle spot on top. If you have the Stock yellow duct then you have to reinforce almost the whole thing.

For the rear bulkhead make sure you have the gear ready to you can slide it in temporarily. The hysol expands a little and sometimes overnight it can move the bulkheads a little so bolting the gear in while it dries will help hold it right. I also put the wings on because having them line up is critical and getting the right angle on the wings is also important.

I basically did the hysol then put the wings and gear in and lined it all up and let it dry like that.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:40 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
On to the Rear Bulkhead installation. Thanks Gunradd for the tips on installing this one to make sure everything lines up. Man I'm getting so excited because we can make some real progress once this dries! (i,e. Finish building the wings, glassing the wings, install servo trays, etc...) The crappy thing is I can't make any progress for 4 days because I'll be out of town! Doh!

Yellow F-16 Build #21 (8 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:38 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,268 Posts
looking sweet!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Sep 03, 2010, 03:09 PM
Gudmund
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Nov 2005
317 Posts
Wisdumb,

Looking good. I can't wait to get started on my own.

Enjoy your long weekend.

Gudmund
GudmundT is offline Find More Posts by GudmundT
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:07 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Fantastic video's. This thing is really coming along. Does Hysol make a 5 minute version of their super strong stuff?
That would be neat, but I don't think so... I've decided I would not want it on anything that wasn't meant to be VERY permanent. You'd need a jackhammer and have to destroy whatever it was attached to in order to get it off!
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:13 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
I'm back home and I had to sneak out to the shop to check out my "baby". I wanted to see how close we are on the angle of the wings. It looks like I need to drop the left side down just a bit, but the right is perfect!
Old Sep 09, 2010, 01:38 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
I'm back and ready for action! In this video I glue in the wing mounting blocks/rods and align the wings while they dry.

Yellow F-16 Build #22 (14 min 32 sec)
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:21 AM
He builds stuff. :)
Canada, AB, Grande Prairie
Joined Sep 2007
1,792 Posts
Can you explain exactly what micro balloons are and where you would get them? I did a few google searches but it wasn't clear the application. Are they just to take up space?
Pepperpete is offline Find More Posts by Pepperpete
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:41 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperpete View Post
Can you explain exactly what micro balloons are and where you would get them? I did a few google searches but it wasn't clear the application. Are they just to take up space?
Micro balloons are basically a lightweight filler that looks like baking soda. It thickens the epoxy and adds some volume to it. I got mine at the local hobby shop. I could have also used milled fiberglass (looks similar) and may have been stronger.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 03:01 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Taking a break from the wings until I can get some more fiberglass cloth... my LHC is out! Spending some quality relaxation time cleaning up the pilot and getting him ready for service. Take a look!

YA F-16C Video Update #9 (5 min 5 sec)

P.S. I sent Stu an email for current pricing on the 110-52 and should be able to make the purchase next week. Now some exciting news indeed!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:41 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
419 Posts
dont apply microballoons anywhere were strength of joint is key! All microballoons really do is make epoxy thicker and more sandable..In places where bond strength is important, you could add some milled fiberglass powder and it will thicken the epoxy with out weakening it-dried is like steel!

Good job on the build Wisdumb- i built this kit many years ago and it was a great kit!
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR