HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:42 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
Discussion
Tl-2000

I saw this plane in Toledo a while back. I sort of wanted one, but just couldn't decide to get one. After getting the Super Cub, rebuilding the Seawind, I thought a low wing float plane would be great to have. At least I would have some different float planes to fly.

I checked the Waterplanes Forum and found a thread on the Wilga 2000. There was a review and from what I could gather the servos were not the best. The plane flew fine, just fellows lost their planes because of the servos. I checked with Ross who used to carry them, he doesn't have any and he gave me the place to order it from. Sapac and I got one.

Well the directions are a tad sketchy at best, there is a Chinese to English translation, but as we all know, that is a rather interesting read to say the least. This plane is called TL-2000 String, who knows why, it is based on the full scale Australian Sting. I did see a large scale model of that somewhere in my web surfing.

The plane goes together pretty easy. the glue they give you, well mine the tube had leaked all out, so I had to find something that would work on the foam. I ended up using Gorilla Glue, the foaming stuff, which is OK, but I never did do a good job of gluing anything well. I always use too much, no matter how skimpy I try to be. I got the stabilizer installed, then I worked on the wings. I glued one wing, then the other. I put an AR-6100 Receiver in it and set it up with flaperons.
I got the cowl installed, bound the receiver and checked the throws. I got everything going the right direction.

The floats are OK, but there is no spreader bar, or anything to keep the floats from just spreading out on impact to the water. So I had to figure out what to do. I was going to glue carbon fiber rod on, but then thought about long wire ties. I could wrap a wire tie around one side, then the other side and I would have my spreader bar, lightweight, easy to do and no waiting for glue to dry or break in the future.

Now this plane comes with landing gear and steerable nose wheel. I didn't put those on. I have no idea how long this plane will last, so I didn't want to put a lot of time and extra money in it. I will not fly it from my dock for the maiden flight. Too many obstacles here and so I will go to Fred's house, there are no docks very close and it is easy to land in close to the shore on Crystal Lake.

So this is my last float plane for this year. I now have my Super Cub on floats, a Seawind and now this Sting. It will be interesting to see if I get Stung on the Sting. It wasn't expensive, looks like a nice flier, we shall see if my assumptions are correct.

Thanks for looking. Flight report in the future. Lately we have had nothing but rain. On Friday night we got 1 and a half inches plus of rain and for a couple of days, we have had rain showers off and on for what seems like a week, but really it is probably on two or three days. They are short, don't last long and some have had really high winds, so we haven't flown much.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
I hope someone sees this and lets me know how it flies.
Conehead is online now Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
to remove ads between posts