SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub

I haven't added to my blog in a while and I thought that I would try to outline why I went to the Super Cub with floats.
I have a DX-7 and have watched a few people fly the Super Cub at different flying fields I fly at. One night a young man and his father showed up with two Super Cubs. Now the dad was not a great flier or he was just learning how to handle the Super Cub. the young man was flying the wings off of it. Dad put his Cub in the ground a couple of times, the son flew and flew and then put his Cub in the ground and broke or damaged the wing. The young man went to the car, took the damaged wing off and put the new wing on and flew like mad. The Super cub looked great, but at the time it was on 27 MHz and I didn't want one like that. Too little range, too many problems with where I fly.

At E-Fest there were many 4-Sites for sale, I almost bought one, but I thought, I live on a lake and I love to float fly and a Super Cub on floats would be great. So I waited and then came the review here on RC Groups by Andy. I read it, watched the videos and said, this is the plane for me. I can put a battery in and go to the dock and off I will go. So I bought one and the floats. I got it and Andy suggested I fly it on land first, so I headed to the full scale airport where we fly all the time. There was some snow, just the last bits of what we had all winter. I put the Cub down, checked the throws and hit the throttle. Off it went on the snow and I was airborne and I took off and landed about 6 times in just a few minutes. The Cub was a winner in my mind.

Later the lake thawed and I had a chance to fly off the water. I put in my short float flying dock. The water was very cold, about 52 degrees or colder. I had to use waders, the outside temps were in the low 40's and I had ice on the dock in places. I took a watering can to pour on the metal parts so the dock would fit together. When the lake calmed down, I took off from the lake and I was really happy. My bride took lots of pictures and I was having a great time.
I had a number of flights off the water and had no problems I thought, yet at times the plane moved at times that I wan't sure about.

Now I took this plane to a fun fly and took off the wet grass. It was raining or had just rained and I got a couple of flights off the grass. I checked with the fellows on the waterplanes forum and all of them, well most of them use Corrosion X, red lable, on all the speed controls and receivers and servos. I did treat my receiver with Corrosion X. I went to a buddies house and flew off his lake. I got a number of flights off of Crystal Lake. I have walked out in the morning and evening here on Platte Lake and flown a bunch of flights. Just about any day the lake is calm, I can get a flight in. Now I am grounded for a while.

The speed control is built in the rec and the last time I tried to fly everything was fine. Then I set the plane in the water and got ready to taxi out and take off and the motor started and then stopped. Then the elevator and rudder started moving and I was doing nothing. The glitches were getting really bad and so as soon as I was able to wade out a few feet from the dock to pick up my plane and I took the rec out. I went on the Horizon web site and ordered a new one. Problem is that there is they are on back order. Late July or early August is what the website said. So I had a choice. Order a whole new plane and put floats on it and fly more off the water. So I did. Now when the rec comes, I will have a Super Cub with wheels and one with floats. Andy said on his thread that is what I should do, I didn't want to do that, but I just can't wait until late July or August to float fly a Super Cub.

I must say that I just love this plane. It is simple, flies great, lands and takes off water really great. It is easy to see and is a fun plane to fly and I have learned a lot with it.

My bride of way too many years took all the photos that I will post. I also now have a much more difficult time landing now. Earlier in the year, my dock and hoists were not in the water, my neighbors were also out, but Derby Day, his dock went in, which was no problem. I can fly over his dock and land. Now with my dock and hoist, my neighbors to the right of me, has made my landing strip very short. I have not tried to take off and land yet, since I just got my new Super Cub assembled. I have less than 50 feet to land and if you miss, you have dock legs, boat hoists and canopies to miss. We shall see what happens in a couple of days. I have treated the receiver with Corrosion X before flying off the water. So soon I will know what happens.

Thanks for looking.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Pictures to follow.

Here is the thread link to the review of the Super Cub.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068138
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Jun 14, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,479 Posts
Mighty fine pictures, Orrin...mighty fine! I'm envious of you and your flying sites up there!

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member