SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:32 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Yeah, this one is big enough to have working canards (I have a JR XP9303 so no problem with programming), I just didn't feel like messing with them.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Pat I'm gonna be building one I'm sure.
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
OK, V2 is now ready to go. I moved the motor up 2", but was disappointed to discover that I still needed to add weight to the nose, and still have to use a 2200 lipo shoved all the way forward in the electronics bay in order to make CG. I guess I could use a 2600 pack in the bay, but she's heavy as it is.

Here's a few pics to show the new spar setup and side by side comparison of V1 and V2.

Pat
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
OK, got V2 maidened this morning, and she flew just fine. With the CG right at the rear edge of the canards, she showed no tip stall tendencies, so I think I'm happy with the CG now.

Got a total of 2 flights in today, but I'm using a tired old 3S 2200 20C pack. I need to get a new 2200 Hyperion to shove in there to increase performance. Although she was no slouch today with good vertical performance, she was not as fast as she could be.

No video today, will try to get some in the near future.

Pat
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Here's a flying pic and some short video thanks to my friend Al in Ontario, CA.

MVI 0408 (0 min 55 sec)

Pat
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
R

Hello Pat, Don't know why the SU47 hasn't gotten too much interest on here. The plane itself is a great looking and flying plane. I am on my mission to build all the Russian jets. Did the Shumate SU37 Twin EDF/tomhe su37, RCPowers Mig 29 EDF, Pak Fa v1 &2 and now the SU47. I came across this plan of yours from a couple years ago and it looks very sound. Built it with plenty of CF reinforcements, Grayson MJv3 & 20 amp esc, 1600 nano-tech 3s. 17 oz all together. Now, once the temperature rises above 20 and winds below 20 I may be able to fly it! Using your CG- looks like your updated plans bring it up pretty close. Here are some pictures of the build:

youtube: www.youtube.com/gstrysky
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Last edited by f1wanabe; Jan 05, 2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:38 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Looking forward to your flight report!

I got a few flights on it over the weekend when I was over in LA visiting for New Years. Got lots of great comments, but of course no video. I am flying it now with the CG right at the trailing edge of the canard tips, and it seems to be just right.

Pat
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Yeah, this one is big enough to have working canards (I have a JR XP9303 so no problem with programming), I just didn't feel like messing with them.

Pat
I have done several planes with canards and, other than using them for trimming the plane for level flight, I think they cause more problems than they solve. There is a reason why a flight computer is needed to operate them. Sure it feels nice to have an immediate turn in and some great loops, but for high alpha and slow and low flying they create a delayed response which can result in less than optimal results. You could use them on this plane to keep the battery in the compartment and no ballast. Some down trim on the canards would allow you to keep cg back a tad for some better maneuverability and still maintain level flight. I don't use them but a gyro would maintain that angle for you. Coming in for a landing would be the tricky part- once airspeed drops the canards would not do their work, but if you time it right you would have a nice flared landing. Having said all that, I'll just shift my battery,
Old Jan 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Re-maidened the Nico Hobbies SU47 today. First flight was like flying a kite in the wind and I was happy to land without damage. But, this model needs modifications to deal with the windy conditions I have here in beautiful Easton PA.
Sukhoi SU47 Profile- Maiden Flight (3 min 28 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:55 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Looking good! So far I have not flown mine in any heavy winds, so I don't know how it behaves myself. I do enjoy flying my tomhe F-22 in the wind, but that plane seems well suited to it.

Pat
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Tonight I enlarged the elevons on the SU47 by about 40% in order to try to get more control in windy conditions and for slow aerobatics. Most of the increase is in the non-tv portion of the elevons since maneuverability at lower throttle positions is what I am looking for. As far as the tv portion goes, increasing the tv vanes allow for control in a tail wind and increases roll rated and pitch control. Hope to test tomorrow. Here is a picture of the old elevon on top of the new one.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1325994336231.jpg
Views: 286
Size: 75.6 KB
Description:
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Wow, what a difference! The plane is pretty nice with kf4 and 40 % larger elevons.
Last edited by f1wanabe; Jan 12, 2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Here is the video of my dialed in nico hobbies su47. Enlarged elevons and KF4 airfoils transforms the plane into a stable plane that is less susceptible the tail winds. What a cool plane, Pat!
Sukhoi SU47 Profile Dialed In! (4 min 18 sec)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
Glad you're liking it! And good job with the mods.

I'm still thinking about modding it again and moving the motor even farther forward. My current one flies fine, but I have to shove a 2200 all the way up in the bay to get it to balance.

Pat
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
I also have the battery 1/3 in and 2/3 out in front of the electronics bay. I think if you move the motor any further forward then there wont be any room for a battery up there! My MJv3 weighs 1.3 oz and the 1600 Nanotech weighs 6 oz. I don't think that there will be any way to get the motor far enough forward. The canards are what is causing this since CG gets pushed back by them. If you cut them off the battery could go inside. All three canard planes I have need the battery far far forward. Especially the J20. I don't mind it at all.
Last edited by f1wanabe; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM.