Looks great Pat!
triple_b is offline Find More Posts by triple_b
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:05 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Thanks guys!

I was a little let down after the wingtips broke off though. Not that it was going to be hard to fix, but I wanted to fly it more!

I'm off Friday, and will be able to get more flights in then. Going to try both with the 2200 lipo moved back some, and a 1350 up in the current position.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:06 PM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
406 Posts
congratulation Pat!!! look awsome...
aqkhana2002 is offline Find More Posts by aqkhana2002
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:19 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Thanks Aqeel!

I confirmed that I will have a photographer and videographer tomorrow, so I should have some pics and vid up this weekend!

Pat
Old Jun 18, 2010, 01:02 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Decals added to the first post. I have the decals applied to the model and they look pretty good! I'll take some good pics tomorrow.

Pat
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:15 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Pat, great job my frnd. Look forward to more on this one.... DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
NYC
Joined Jun 2008
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
On one of passes it looked like I had a little wiggle in the wings, but didn't think much of it. So at the end of the second pass I turned in to the runway for a WOT pass. The wingtips fluttered and promptly departed the airframe! I forgot that forward swept wings need support all the way out.
Hey Pat nice plans, thats interesting that this happend to you. I guess i've been luck because my spar is placed at the same location as yours. I'm running a 2212-06 on a 3s 2200mah.

Look forward to the updated pics!
profilefan is offline Find More Posts by profilefan
Last edited by profilefan; May 24, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:29 AM
USA, Mt, Missoula
Joined Jun 2010
41 Posts
was hoping for some more info on this one.
22niner8juliet is offline Find More Posts by 22niner8juliet
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:10 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
any chance of you cutting one out and suppling the hardware for us guys who dont have the equipment to do so??

id gladly pay you for a kit.
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:27 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
OK, I've been meaning to update this for some time, but life has been busy, and I have had 2 of 3 computers in the house take a dump on me.

After the maiden where I ripped off the wingtips, I repaired the plane and did another flight on 6/18. That flight showed that I was definitely tail heavy on my CG. During a slow turn the plane did an uncommanded snap roll.

On landing I did not keep enough speed and snapped it into the ground and broke the nose off. We have video from that flight, and I'll try to get it uploaded. And I think there are some in flight shots of it as well.

That day I glued the nose back on, then made plans to take it to another club field the next day for more flights with an adjusted CG. I added about 2oz of weight to the nose. Before I thought I had the CG right at the forward edge of the wingtips, but it was actually a little further back from that.

This time the CG was closer to where I really wanted it. I plugged in the plane, set it on top of the flight box, and accidentally goosed the throttle while putting my head through the neck strap. The plane shot of the flight box and nosed in, which of course broke the nose off again!

Back to the house for more repairs.

Since then I've flown the plane several times with good results. I'm currently using a 3S 2200 pack, but want to go down to a 1350 pack and take the weight off the nose. But that means moving the lipo out in front of the electronics bay. It would need to sit just in front of the intake dividers. But it can be done easily.

Pat
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:45 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme21 View Post
any chance of you cutting one out and suppling the hardware for us guys who dont have the equipment to do so??

id gladly pay you for a kit.
That is definitely something I could do. I designed this plane with the notion of selling them on my website. Let me check with my laser cutter and see what it would cost for kits. I'm thinking I could do similar pricing to 6mmFlyRC, around $50.

Pat
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Here's a pic to better illustrate the CG location. It is just forward of the wingtips, which works out to be at the rear of the outer edge of the canards.

Pat
Old Sep 08, 2011, 04:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,626 Posts
Wow, been a while since I posted to this thread. The other day I did some revisions to the plans as follows:

- Redesigned the tailerons so that CF support is no longer needed. I did this by removing the TV tabs forward of the hinge line, and adding some material back near the pods. Since the control surfaces are directly in the prop wash, removal of the TV tabs should not make much of a difference.

- Widened the ailerons for better roll response.

- Moved the motor mount forward some more to help achieve correct CG without having to move the lipo out of the electronics bay when using a 1300 pack (but I'll probably run this with a 1600 or 1800 pack for longer flights).

I haven't built one yet using the revisions, but will probably do that in a few weeks while babysitting the wife after her upcoming surgery.

With this plane and the Concorde (and others still on the drawing board), I have a few kits now that are in the "larger" scale range. I don't have them up on my website yet, but would add them if there seemed to be enough interest. So far I have sold several Concordes, but only at shows.

Pat
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:30 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,706 Posts
Pat I overlayed MY version of this bird OVER a set of Chara's Harpy plans.

They were VERY close so on my SU-47 I used the Harpy CG as a starting point.

That CG is pretty much at the Forward Wing tips.

With a good mixing radio you can also articulate the canards and have some real fun.

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay