HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:14 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
Build Log
EJF.COM FLY FLY F-4 build...twin 70mm...CN style BABY!

ok, i started this project a month ago, as a co build with a budy of mine. theres been a number of fly fly F-4 builds on here, and they have been great. tumbler's and a couple others come to mind as really sweet builds. i plan to take the fly fly F-4 to a place it should have started at...fixing all the little scale issues, and doing a twin 70mm setup. that of course means glass ducting. also, amung inlet changes, afterburner changes, wing changes, ect ect ect..im doing carved balsa stabs, and a cuustom stab pivot. the stock plastic ones arnt gunna cut the mustard for me, so ill be building a custom rotator box for them, and power them with a single Std high torque metal gear servo, and no exposed linkage . she'll have struts, RCL electric gear, flaps, ailerons(stock ust has tailerons) havnt decided on a rudder, probably never use it in flight aside from cross wind issues. ive taken a bunch of pics showing all the cuts/splices/patches ive put into it to make its shape as close to scale as i can. most the changes are in the inlets and tail pipes...the inlets are too tall, way too wide. the exaust nozzles are way too small, and dont angle down like the real ones. the rest of the model is very close. im going to make a new canopy, as the frames are wrong, but the shape of the canopy is right on. the fwd fuse is great, and i did a real simple mod to angel the whole fwd fuse down, and it looks too flat stock. the stabs are corretly sized, but really fat...no likey... the wings are great, aside form a little too long in the tips, so i cut a inch off the tips. the rest of the wing im gunna leave alone. its thick, but that only helps her fly nice and smooth, and since im not too concerned with speed....(i know...me??? ) so ill leave the wing alone. the main gear are WAY too long, so ill be changing the wheel well location, and probably do full gear doors. i wasnt going to glass it, but after shaping out the fuse...it started looking too good. i want this one to last, so im going to glass it using Z poxy finishing resin. ducting will be availible through my dad, but youll have to make your own formers. maybe ill do a former/inlet kit upgrade if theres inough interest. oh, forgot, the inlets come about 1" too far fwd, and the splitters are to thin. so thats changed you guys probably think im nuts.....(might not be far from the truth) but the perfectionist in me cant help it! the mods seem overwhelming, but are accualy pretty easy with a nice sharp blade, and some sand paper power will be 2 HET 70mm fans, and 2 Dons BI 3600 motors, on a 4s 5000 each. going to try and keep the weight under 6.5 lbs. we'll see. so thats it in a nut shell, ill be posting pics tonight, and build discriptions. for now, heres what id like her to look like when its done...
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:14 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
Pretty big ambition there CN, Best of luck
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:01 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
sorta like this one:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/90f4efiedfrc.html

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Oct 2005
627 Posts
You have my interest!

Chris
konachris is offline Find More Posts by konachris
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:03 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
yes exept...it will be far more scale. that one is so far off its beyond help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3tman View Post
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:28 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,321 Posts
Brent-Go ahead and build two, I'll take one! I'll pay for the second kit and everything needed. Come on, hook a brotha up!

Good luck with the build. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. By the way, whatever happen to the New CN Style Blue Angel A-4 you were working on?

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:37 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
afterburner area...well, i took the stock wood rings, and basically, cut a large area out of the back of it, and folded the foam open to put the ring on the inside of the foam rather than on the back of the foam. this got me about another .5" larger diameter afterburner, just about right for scale. and remember, the afterburners point down on the real F-4, not straight back like the stock fly fly. then, patch up cut out area's with FFF foam(film removed from both sides)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:41 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
here i show how to cut out the stock lower hump needed for 90mm fan clearance. this is not needed not....and NOT scale. it should be resessed, not a buldge in that area. so...cut it out, and replace with FFF also, fill in the stock elev servo holes with FFF....
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:51 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
had to stck it together for a shot. going to have to do some work on the wing now to get it to fit the modded fuse.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:05 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
heres a couple shots showing what a 70mm fan looks like...its perfect size for the burner can, guess ill have to make a mold of it!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,921 Posts
Looks great CN, you're really going to town. I like your mod the the inlets, triangle slice, that works great.

Lots of work but still probably less work that building from the plans I sent you. I wonder, is this roughly the same size? Mine was a D (or E?)model of course so different nose.

This makes me want to build another, hell, maybe the size of Andy's (Falcon5/Captain Z).
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:53 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
I'm impressed

what kind of speed do you think you will get out of it with the twin 70's?

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman