HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by scrtsqrl, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:08 AM
Registered User
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
I'm quite interested in your fpv set up, particularly with the goggle and altimeter. Do you have any videos posted taken with the set up. what made you choose the components you did over other components?

thanks
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:24 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
I'm quite interested in your fpv set up, particularly with the goggle and altimeter. Do you have any videos posted taken with the set up. what made you choose the components you did over other components?

thanks
Lucky again... (1 min 30 sec)


Long answer to a short question...lols...But if you read through my blog, you will get an idea.

Truthfully though, budget was my primary criteria for equipment...
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:46 PM
Registered User
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Thanks, enjoyed the latest flight picture.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Ankara/TURKEY
Joined Aug 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
How did you connected 2xTurnigy UBEC's? One is main, other is spare? Did you supply BECs from same battery and connected throttle outputs in parallel? If so, aren't contacts short circuited?

Thanks, Ilhan
ilhan is offline Find More Posts by ilhan
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:50 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan View Post
How did you connected 2xTurnigy UBEC's? One is main, other is spare? Did you supply BECs from same battery and connected throttle outputs in parallel? If so, aren't contacts short circuited?

Thanks, Ilhan
Merhabah,

1 UBEC for video gear, the other for servos and RC Rx.

Both UBECs, ESC, Batteries are all in parallel.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:51 AM
Whats the wrst that can happn?
AdamChicago's Avatar
Chicago, IL USA
Joined May 2010
2,649 Posts
Newbie FPV base station question...how do I connect the power for everything?

The 2 receivers and diversity station each need power as well as the Fat Shark goggles...so that's 4 things requiring 12volt power. I have one 3s 2200 battery, so how do I make the connection between everything?? ...is it as simple as connecting all of the positives and then all of the negatives and then just plugging it into the battery? ...that would be way too simple, so do I need some kind of circuit board or voltage regulator...please help!!!

Thank youl
AdamChicago is offline Find More Posts by AdamChicago
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:18 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChicago View Post
Newbie FPV base station question...how do I connect the power for everything?

The 2 receivers and diversity station each need power as well as the Fat Shark goggles...so that's 4 things requiring 12volt power. I have one 3s 2200 battery, so how do I make the connection between everything?? ...is it as simple as connecting all of the positives and then all of the negatives and then just plugging it into the battery? ...that would be way too simple, so do I need some kind of circuit board or voltage regulator...please help!!!

Thank youl
If all of your loads are 12, yes you just connect it in "parallel" (reds to reds, blacks to blacks) as you described. It is that simple!
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:44 PM
Registered User
Ankara/TURKEY
Joined Aug 2008
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
Merhabah,

1 UBEC for video gear, the other for servos and RC Rx.

Both UBECs, ESC, Batteries are all in parallel.
Thanks, it's clear now.

It is surprising to hear merhaba from you. Is it Google translator or a bit Turkish knowledge?
ilhan is offline Find More Posts by ilhan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:18 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan View Post
Thanks, it's clear now.

It is surprising to hear merhaba from you. Is it Google translator or a bit Turkish knowledge?
Teh-shekur.
I have a very little bit of knowledge. I had a few Turkish colleagues at my last job.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:06 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
Hey scrtsqrl Question for ya?

I did RC planes years and years ago taught many folks how to fly their rigs keeping the crashes to a minimum. I've been racing sailboats for many years now and one of our clubs has started doing what we call match racing two sailboats on a very small course close to a grandstand on shore. They have recently started streaming live video of the racing action via the web.

Next step I suggested they look into a two seat FPV rig so one guy can fly and the other can work on getting good video coverage of the racing action. Flight time doesn't need to be long the races are very short 20-30 minutes max which from the RC world is a pretty long run given 12-15minutes is about the usual run etc. Whats your thoughts on the basic duel FPV camera set up on a Foam rig as a simple camera platform? Do you think it would work well enough to provide some good video? Helicopter would be great but the whole piloting aspect dramatically changes with the Heli factor LOL

Thanks in advance! Nice Blog by the way
Sailfly is offline Find More Posts by Sailfly
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:36 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailfly View Post
I did RC planes years and years ago taught many folks how to fly their rigs keeping the crashes to a minimum. I've been racing sailboats for many years now and one of our clubs has started doing what we call match racing two sailboats on a very small course close to a grandstand on shore. They have recently started streaming live video of the racing action via the web.

Next step I suggested they look into a two seat FPV rig so one guy can fly and the other can work on getting good video coverage of the racing action. Flight time doesn't need to be long the races are very short 20-30 minutes max which from the RC world is a pretty long run given 12-15minutes is about the usual run etc. Whats your thoughts on the basic duel FPV camera set up on a Foam rig as a simple camera platform? Do you think it would work well enough to provide some good video? Helicopter would be great but the whole piloting aspect dramatically changes with the Heli factor LOL

Thanks in advance! Nice Blog by the way
Thanks!

I've pondered this quite a bit but have not implemented because of limited funds. Here's how I would do it:

Cularis, lots of batteries, FMA-Co-pilot or FY-20 Gyros...anything that can "right" the plane and provide some stability, of course, standard FPV kit...The rig would be flown by the "pilot".

As payload, I would hang another camera, on a pan and tilt set-up on one wing, controlled by another RC Tx/Rx, probably on the other wing, to balance cg. Another band would probably be good...say RC: UHF LRS, VTx1 900mHz, VTx2 2.4G. You could even play with multiple cameras and FOV's. This set-up could be operated by the "camera man".

I think that would provide some good video.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:36 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Jul 2010
11 Posts
Great work on helping the community get going with FPV. Do you happen to have a specific equipment list of what you are currently using on your 3rd iteration? For example, what kind of vTX, vRX, camera, etc.

Thanks again!
srk.heli is offline Find More Posts by srk.heli
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
scrtsqrl's Avatar
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srk.heli View Post
Great work on helping the community get going with FPV. Do you happen to have a specific equipment list of what you are currently using on your 3rd iteration? For example, what kind of vTX, vRX, camera, etc.

Thanks again!
It's what's on the video...

But here goes, I have 2 Easystar's

1. Long Range Flyer:
Easystar
EZG Wings
HXT-900 servos all around
Y harness for ailerons
Futaba 6EAX
Dragon Link Tx & Rx
ARC 28-37-3
Scorpion Commander V2 35 Amp ESC
500mW 2.4G VTx and VRx from RangeVideo.com
2 X EK704 Rate Gyros in pitch & roll
6 X 4 APC Prop when running on 3s 2200 mAH (up to 3)
6 X 5 APC Prop when running on 2s 3700 mAH (up to 3)
CX-161 or KX-131 Color Cam
DragonOSD v1 w/ Amp Sensor
Standard Sized Servo w/ Servo Stretcher for pan
2 X Turnigy UBEC, one each for RC and Video Gear
Z-log altimeter

2. Trainer:
3 Channel Stock Easystar
HXT-900 for rudder & elevator
GWS 360 Deg Rotation Sail Winch Cable for pan.
FMS Co-pilot (CPD-4)
500mW 2.4G VTx and VRx from Hobbywireless.com
CX-161 Camera
Flytron SimpleOSD UL
2 X Turnigy UBEC, one each for RC and Video Gear

Check the rest of my blog for further details.

Hope that helps.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool EagleLink: Integrated long range, low cost, 12 ch RC/Video FPV transceiver system billpa FPV Talk 605 Nov 19, 2013 08:01 PM
Discussion Your Long Range FPV Heli Dream Set Up ? djdaveq FPV Talk 2 Feb 26, 2010 12:55 AM
Discussion Best possible configuration for really LONG RANGE EasyStar Kinol FPV Talk 6 Nov 10, 2009 09:27 AM
Discussion Long range wing viking325i Flying Wings 1 Oct 05, 2008 06:44 PM