SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Discussion
73" SBACH 342 (30cc) to Electric

Hey folks, I just placed an order from www.redwingrc.com for a 30cc SBACH. Beautiful plane!!!! The MX-2 is nice too, but the lines on the SBACH are just too nice to pass up. After looking at the pics and videos on the site, I just fell in love with this plane.

I got lucky and convinced Tim (super nice guy bye the way) during a very long distance phone call from Kandahar, Afghanistan, to hook me up with one in a "custom color scheme"; so it wont look quite like the one pictured. It will take a bit longer and cost a bit more, but it'll all work out in the end. I'll have it long before I get back from Afghanistan (9 more months).

Anyway, of course I'll be using Castle Creations ESC, BEC and anything else Castle I can get my hands on. Most likely Thunder Power batteries and not sure on the motor yet. Probably one of the Neu "ORK" motors. Anyone have a good idea what might be the best motor/battery set up for this beauty? I was figuring 8S should do nicely.

Laine.
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 12:13 PM
In NY's beautifull hills
Binghamton Broome Cty, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,126 Posts
Think it was Tim I corresponded w/ @ Redwing also to ck ship etc.. Looks like about $350 will get one here to NY.

Geeeze--just when you think you've convinced yourself (& spouse) you REALLY don't need another plane !
Looking forward to your expirence w/ this bird.
staggerwing is offline Find More Posts by staggerwing
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:02 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
lol, yeah, ya always need another one man! Especially one that looks as good as these do!

It will be awhile before I get this one built and flown. I get 2 weeks of R&R at the end of October. I hope to go to Missouri and pick up the plane from Tim then, but I wont start building until March when we get home from Kandahar.

Laine.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:28 AM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Have you figured out the power system? I am starting to look at this one, may be my next plane!
falconjet50 is offline Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
No not yet Falconjet. Once I get back from Afghanistan and get my hands on it I'll figure out a power system. I can tell you for sure it will have a Castle ICE ESC a Castle BEC Pro and any other Castle parts I can get my hands on. Im figuring 8S should do it on this one though. Its WAY lighter than my 50cc Pitts was!

Laine.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
Is this plane build by Pilot RC? Do you know if they are in stock yet and the cost is 349.00 plus shippping?
Old Aug 03, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
What is the email for Red Wing RC trying to find out the status of delivery on the S-Bach 30%
Old Aug 03, 2010, 01:21 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Info@redwingrc.com is the email. Tim is a great guy too, and the planes are sweeeeeet! Cant wait to get home from Afghanistan and get my hands on mine!

Laine.
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:36 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Subscribed... I've been poking around the calc programs looking at a few economical 10s scorpion setups... its the darn servo costs that make me cry.

Bob
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
That's what i'm finding out. What is a good servo that will work for the 26% arf??!! i've been looking all day!
Old Aug 03, 2010, 07:31 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,862 Posts
Best I can tell, and this would be my biggest e-plane, it looks like we need something with a min of 70oz torque... 100 would be ideal.

I found this link to be helpful in calculating what might be be needed.
http://www.mnbigbirds.com/Servo%20To...0Caculator.htm
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:26 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
I agree, the servos are what will kick ya in the tail on these big ones. My E powered 72" Pitts M-12 had 7 servos in it, really adds up. In that one, I used the HS 645MG servos. 107oz/in or torque at $35 each. I was quite happy with them in that plane. They may not be the fastest, lightest, strongest servo, but they work great and the price is right. I simply fly for fun. No competitions or anything like that, so Im fairly easy to please. The digital version, HS 5645MG, is the other one Im considering for this one. I think they are $55 each. More torque (145 I think) and they come with aluminum arms. Might just be worth it for this one.

As for power, right now I have been planning on a Neu 1912 or maybe a touch bigger Neu motor with a Castle ICE ESC. Which ever one will give me the stupid amount of power I want is what I'll go with. And of course, I'll be using a Castle BEC Pro in mine too.

The tech guys at Castle can help out with figuring out which motor/esc/battery will work out best on this one. I LOVE my Castle stuff!!!

Laine.
Last edited by lmopar69; Aug 04, 2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:08 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Just got word that the planes are in the States now! Just waiting to go through customs. So, better get the orders in quick cuz I doubt they will last very long. Beautiful planes!!!
Lucky for me, mine has already been ordered!

Laine.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2007
495 Posts
I still can not get ahold of anyone from RedWingRC. I sent a email a couple of days ago. Is there a phone number for anyone there? I just want to find out if the kit is from PIlot RC and the shipping costs to South Florida.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 12:32 PM
Never Enough Airplanes
Machesney, IL
Joined Feb 2008
79 Posts
The servo I have had great luck with is the Power HD (HD-1501MG) servo from Troy built models for this size plane. It works directly on a 2 cell lipo bute I run a 6.6 volt LiFe. I have these servos in a 70" 30cc 3D Hobby Shop Slick and an 30cc Slipstream MXS. They work great and cost under $19.00. The servo centers great and huge torque!

I have a QueQue Yak with a 72" span powered with a Eflite Power 110 and a Castle HV-85 + Castle BEC that I fly on 8 cells (2 Hyperion 4200 Mah 4 cells) and 10 cells. Eight cells is all it needs to hover at 5/8 throttle. This was the setup QueQue rcomended and he was right on....................

Sbach 342 will be my next build.............
OneEyedFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OneEyedFlyer