HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:13 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Build Log
Peter Rake's Macchi M16 - prototype build

After a diversion into the world of micro helicopters for a while, I've rejoined the fixed-wing fold, with Pete kindly letting me do the prototype build of his latest creation, the 1919 Macchi M16.

Extract from Wiki;

The Macchi M.16 was a light, single-seat aircraft produced in Italy in 1919. It was a single-bay biplane with unstaggered wings and a largely conventional design except for an unusually deep fuselage that extended in a bulge below the lower wing.

The M.16 proved a successful sporting type, setting an altitude record of 3,770 m (12,370 ft) in 1920 while competing for the Coppa Mappelli, and winning first prize in the competition the following year.

Three pontoon-equipped examples were purchased by the United States Navy for evaluation as communication aircraft.

At 39" it might seem small, but as it's a 1/6th scale version of a small prototype, it's a chunky model - especially the fuselage, which is very deep to house the U/C axle. The wheels look very disproportionate in size but it's the airframe that's small.

Nothing particularly tricky in the plan; standard Rake fuselage construction of sheet front/built up rear (though I'll need a bit more sheet for this one). Longerons are interesting in that they're 'L' section, as opposed to square. Nose is shown as hollowed-out block which should be a nice carving exercise.

Wings and tail are totally conventional as per other Rake models, though the elevators - as with the full-size - are operated by an internal linkage.

This will also be my first foray into using bigger props and 3s batteries. At present I'm studying the plans and creating a materials list to order, including Litespan (which I assume Pete intended it to be covered with).

Basic colour scheme is green fuselage with silver wings & tail. Dark green Litespan may be the best way to go as a base colour, with a light coat of a more 'Italian' green. Other pics I have show a lighter coloured aircraft...but I've done enough 'cream Litespan' models.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Last edited by Redbaron25; Jun 18, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:37 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Should be a lot like my Lublin (fuselage width wise), you can put your whole hand in there while your mounting the electronics.

As for the green, why not a bright lime green, something to help it stand out from the other grass when you land!
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Looks like you`ll be needing to make a spinner for her, I`m sure Pats (Maltones) little tutorial will help greatly with that task.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,675 Posts
Looks like a cross between an Aeronca C3 and Mutley's Revenge. Have fun on the build.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:51 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Dan,
He's lucky on this one, if Steve's feeling lazy, it can use a commercial, 3" spinner.

Steve,
In case you're wondering about those longerons, 1/8 sq., what I intended to use, looked extremely spindly. Not wanting to add the weight of larger section, square longerons, I decided on the laminated, L shaped ones. Enough 'beef' to allow you to pick up the model without crushing it, but less weight. That's the idea at any rate.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Seems a sound idea; I've used 'L' girder construction for leading edges before and it's very strong (but if you glue it wrongly it keeps the warps in). With that short stubby nose, any weight saved at the back end will be good.

I'll make a template of the spinner shape and if Fate is kind, my LHS will have one that fits.

The pic below is the one I'll be building, with the later fin. Pete's plan also shows the earlier fin-less variant. There's plenty of side-area on this prototype anyway but the finned version looks more attractive. I'm looking around to see if I can get a good shot of that fancy logo on the side, as it's quite prominent.
Last edited by Redbaron25; Jun 18, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:11 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
'Seek and ye shall find'... I managed to track down that logo on the fuselage side (it's the first one in the pic, with the triangle). Interesting font.

While I'm waiting for my main materials order to arrive I'll make a start on the tail tonight, as I have a nice piece of light but firm 1/8" in my box.
Last edited by Redbaron25; Jun 18, 2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:17 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Construction commences with the tail...all 1/8" sheet and entirely conventional.

Pete - the fin appears to be slotted into the tail plane but there was no slot drawn on the plan. Easy enough to work it out though. Also, some of the tail parts are shown hatched - can't see why as the hatch lines don't follow the grain anyway. Printing gremlins, maybe?
Last edited by Redbaron25; Jun 19, 2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:37 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,625 Posts
A Clive Cussler novel, DVD and radio, plenty of power outlets and an unfinished model or two! Seems almost normal

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:49 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Is that the one about the Viking Longship, laden with treasure of course, hidden in a cave?

Ah, that hatching. That is there to denote cut parts from strip parts.
As to the fin slot, oops!!! Consider it remedied.

Pete
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Is that the one about the Viking Longship, laden with treasure of course, hidden in a cave?
That's the one. I've read it about 4 times now and I still enjoy it, as I do all Cussler's books. A film version would be great - but only if they stuck rigidly to the book script. The incident where the villain in his Dr1 attacks Dirk Pitt's Ford Tri-Motor in downtown Manhatten would be very impressive if done with decent CGI.

Anyway, back to the build...tail surfaces are finished now; they look huge to me, accustomed as I am to mainly IPS-sized stuff. Now I have to tackle the elevator joiner, which involves the dreaded soldering of the internal horn..

If I can't make a decent job of it with piano wire and brass, I'll use a piece of Code 100 scale nickel silver rail and copper-clad paxolin for the horn, which even I can solder nicely (and very strong it is too, as I've used it on bigger glow-powered models in the past).

Apart from making a rib template from thin ply, there's not much more I can be doing until my supplies show up; I may have a go at that fuselage logo with my coloured vinyl and get a head start on that.
Last edited by Redbaron25; Jun 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:54 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Now I have some wood, on with the wings. Lower set first.

Conventional construction again using a single 1/8" x3/8" lower spar (of spruce as I couldn't get anything lighter). On models over 30" span I prefer a square top and bottom spar to minimise warps but this being a prototype build, I'll stick with the plan. 1/16" basic ribs and 1/8" strut and root ribs.

Lower wings are sheeted on inner top with 1/16" sheet and 2 dowels used to locate to fuselage, as per most of Pete's designs.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 04:25 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Indeed it is. "Treasure" was my favourite of all time.
Always good for an escape from reality old Clive Cussler... Or even better, Terry Pratchet.

Intersting subject by the way Pete... You like this, but you don't like the Gorcock?

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old Jun 29, 2010, 05:26 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Hugh,
Sorry mate, there's just something about the little Macchi that appeals to me.

I'm afraid I prefer my books with a bit more gore than either Cussler or Pratchet provide. That particular Cussler book is the only one I've read. It struck me as being too Bondlike, but without the spying.

Pete
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:10 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,180 Posts
Lower wings finished - no problems with the plan and they've turned out perfectly straight; let's hope I can repeat this accident with the top wing (the tips just overhang my building board).

'The Eagle Has Landed' plays away merrily on the dvd player...'Murphy's War' will be next up.