SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2003, 02:30 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I don't remember whether or not I mentioned the BIG real media file of a Spicy wings doing aerobatics or not, but there is one here: http://www.vcnet.com/mtaylor/Spicy Wings Over TO.rmvb
Chuck is flying one in 10 to 15 mph winds, doing loops, rolls, inverted flight - good take off, too.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:42 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
I'm finally getting some fairly decent sustained flights out of this little bird! IT's fast! My ailerons just aren't doing much though. Do I need to upgrade my RFFS? Doesn't the upgrade allow more current to the actuators or am I wrong.

I'm thinking about going back to the single BSD with small cabling for the ailerons. I couldn't get it to work properly the first time but I've got some new ideas about it.

,Lewis
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
Old Jun 27, 2003, 07:39 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Lewis,

If you have the old software, yes, the upgrade gives you about 40% more thrust from any actuator you hang on RX. The BSDs also have almost twice the thrust of the Mini MagActs, and almost three times the thrust as the standard DUs.

As for using the single BSD for the aileron, that is really the ticket. Slaved strip ailerons work off of one BSD fine, and are self centering, self counterbalancing, resistant to flutter, and you can easily add differential to the setup.

Since each side so convieniently counterbalances the other side and you will retain the centering magnet, you can make the hinges as free as possible. My favorite method involves .030" CF rod and 1/16" aluminum tubing... I've tried a lot of differnt methods and this one works best.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Jun 28, 2003, 12:51 PM
Stuck on a rock
Germany, NDS, WOB
Joined Nov 2000
5,949 Posts
Most people are surprised at how much side and down thrust is needed on these small models. I always glue my motors in with UHU Por initially because it is flexible and will allow me to tweak the thrust angle. Once you get it right the model will turn equally well in both directions. Get it wrong and all you can do is go left (good for pylon racers I guess)

Michael
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot