HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
You have to keep it close or else it will be hard to tell what it's doing. Happened to me and she's been sitting in a tree since.
It's a great looking plane but she's just too small.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:00 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
The plane is no smaller than dozens of other similarly sized and powered electric planes available. It requires at least intermediate piloting abilities in my opinion, due to its predominatly white color and fairly snappy flight performance.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
Well I saw 50 in and assumed it would be a good sized plane. I've had 40,41 and 42 inch planes from 3DHS and Great Planes and they were all bigger than it. Flew Mini Telemasters and Superstar Ep, both which had a wingspan of about 47-48 inches and were way bigger than it.
The problem i found with her is that it does not like to fly slow so you have to maintain speed. The speed it requires plus its size makes it a plane you have to pay close attention to and stay ahead of.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Last edited by Superem; Aug 16, 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:20 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Quote:
The speed it requires plus its size makes it a plane you have to pay close attention to and stay ahead of.
Yes, I agree with you to an extent. But watch the factory video again. It does fly slowly, and quite nicely. Try and land it too fast and you will bounce back into the air. It is a rather slender and sleek airframe. Thus it is "slippery" and retains energy well. I have watched my friend land his dozens of times now and it has yet to drop a wing or bite him. It will fly slowly with no surprises.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:51 PM
magna,utah
Joined Oct 2009
51 Posts
if it flies slow then thats a surprise cause it has a high wing loading for the size of plane. most planes this size have a wing loading of 14-18oz of wing load this one has 19-23oz and the wing is skinny i would think it flies like a dart "straight and fast". but it would be nice to see some video of flight and landings. but i understand not being able to see it not because of the size but the white color. i have a 1/4 scale rv-4 and the white color is hard to see in the sky at certain times
jhardman is offline Find More Posts by jhardman
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:11 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
We have some nice video of it flying ... one landing in particular where Don greased her in nice and slow. He'll have it in his review soon enough.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:32 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
I got mine today what an awesome looking plane! I do wish it wasn't all white though. If all goes well tomorrow will be it's maiden flight. I half way expect it to fly like the Electrifly Lancair, fast but I'll see.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:14 AM
FLA
Joined Jan 2000
106 Posts
Anyone using a Turnigy brushless motor to power this Cirrus? Or other brand motors from HobbyKing?
pestrada is offline Find More Posts by pestrada
Old Aug 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
SUCCESS!!! It flies a good as it looks and so far I have not found any nasty habits plus it does slow down very well for very nice scale landings. I only have 2 flights on her but so far I really like it. I added some teal stripes to the wings to see it better and I may get rid of the chrome on the leading edge and go with black instead so it will show up better when coming toward myself. I'll post pictures soon.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:20 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,699 Posts
Glad to hear your favorable flight report Raz.

How are the landings in your opinion?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,343 Posts
This sure is a good looking scale plane for the price range. I will keep my eye on this thread.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
Glad to hear your favorable flight report Raz.

How are the landings in your opinion?

The landings were very scale, just like in the videos. It slows down better than I thought it would and lands like the full size. All the guys watching were really impressed.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:21 AM
The Neterlands, Europe
Joined Apr 2010
132 Posts
Does anybody knows where I can buy this kit in Europe? Thanx in advance!
Rogier is offline Find More Posts by Rogier
Old Aug 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Bellbrook, Oh
Joined Jul 2008
102 Posts
any videos yet
madatme is offline Find More Posts by madatme
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:36 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
My son tried but his auto focus camera couldn't keep up with the plane even though it wasn't going that fast, that's the problem with cheap cameras.