HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2010, 10:32 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
nioa, are you getting close to getting this bird in the air? I am looking forward to your maiden report.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:30 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
703 Posts
Freddy,

Tower has notified me that they are processing my payment. I expect that they will be shipping today or tomorrow. I should have the plane sometime late next week.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:02 PM
magna,utah
Joined Oct 2009
51 Posts
i just got mine on friday and almost have it finished. the review said that the servo wires are hard to get through the wing but i was able to get them in pretty easy all i did was tape the string to wires and then as i was feeding it through i would wiggle the wires and pull at the same time. i must have just got lucky it only took me five mins for both wings but i did have alot of problems with the decals all i would have to say is a little soap and worm water is your best friend. over all the plane looks great and was pretty simple to put together. i havent seen alot of video for this plane so ill try to get some of the plane in the air this week
jhardman is offline Find More Posts by jhardman
Old Aug 08, 2010, 12:24 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
Don (gp125racer) and I had his review bird out for a maiden and photos yesterday.

I really like how this one looks in the air! Pretty sexy IMO!

Watch for Don's full Ezonemag.com review coming soon ...
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:53 PM
magna,utah
Joined Oct 2009
51 Posts
how does the plane fly? is it fast on landings? anything to look for for the first flight that i need to worrie about?
jhardman is offline Find More Posts by jhardman
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:59 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
I did not get any stick time but I would say the landings will require the most attention? This one likes to keep flying and you need to scrub most of your speed before letting the wheels hit the ground or chances are, it will bounce back aloft and try to continue on its way. I would definitely not say it it lands fast. It needs to land more on the slower side, like in the factory video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:30 AM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,767 Posts
Wow, what a looker!

I saw a couple of the real things at the local airport and this model really does it justice. Great pics there.

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:40 PM
Joined Jul 2006
70 Posts
I am amazed that this airplane is not more of a hit! it is soo much more scale than most any other airplane in this size and price. I guess I will order one as well...........
Lear31A is offline Find More Posts by Lear31A
Old Aug 09, 2010, 07:39 PM
FLA
Joined Jan 2000
106 Posts
I purchased one of these today as well (since I have not been able to purchase the real one yet). Will receive sometime next week. For now I'm thinking of using a Turnigy as a power plant. Haven't exactly decided on specifics. Will be using 2200mah lipos.

The airplane certainly looks great and seems to be well built. I really like the fiberglass fuselage.
pestrada is offline Find More Posts by pestrada
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
Looks nice but ill stick with parkzone and eflite. Just hearing about the orientation problems and wing loading turns me off. Does anyone know if will take off from grass.
crashkorey is offline Find More Posts by crashkorey
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:00 AM
Joined Apr 2008
177 Posts
Very short grass maybe. But with the short landing gear it will probably nose over.
Superem is offline Find More Posts by Superem
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:04 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
That is one sweet looking plane! Guess I have to add one to the hanger as well.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:55 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
703 Posts
Don't Drill through the Ailerons

I've just started to build the SR-22, and what a nice model. The fiberglass fuse is really beautiful.

I'm concurrently building a E-flite Bonanza, and taking my time with both, but I did want to point out what has to be the fastest way to ruin the SR-22.

In the manual, under the "Preparations" section, page 7, step 6, they want you to drill through the aileron to attach the control horn. I've built lots of models, but like a yahoo, I followed this dumb direction, and ended up with a very un-scale like, backplate retainer on the top side of the wing -- YUCK.

I removed the backplate and attached the control horn with a wood screw short enough to not go through the aileron. The aileron is plenty thick, so I don't think it is necessary to cut through the aileron to the top. Just use a good amount of hot glue (or thick CA) to fixate the screw, remove the covering where the horn would sit, and rough up the bottom of the control horn and all will be alright -- it's VERY strong. Now all I'm left with is a set of 2mm holes on the top to repair.

I hope I can find someone with 2 square inches of white Monokote.

The 2 brothers video did mention some issues that I had with the SR-22.:

The holes for the carbon anti-rotation pins were not cut large enough in the fuselage, but a No. 31 drill bit solved that problem (If you don't have a numerical drill bit set, I really would recommend you get one, since they advance by very small increments, they are perfect for problems like this -- cheap too, Harbor Freight has them, and since our hobby uses soft material, they should last a very long time).

A number 32 bit was used on the wing side to get the anti-rotation pins mounted in place.

I didn't have a problem with getting the servo through the wing simply because I did not use an extension. I cut the servo wire and soldered on a longer wire. Since I have crimpers and solder equipment this was no problem for me. Naturally, without the extension couplers hanging up inside the wing, running the wire was a 5 second deal.

ANOTHER THING I did find was that the screws holding on the steering arm block (page 13) were wayyyyy loose! Never assume anything pre-assembled is tight!

An easy build so far... Looking forward to tomorrow, maybe I'll finish. However the temp outside here in Phoenix has been in the 100's, so I'm not sure when I will maiden.

For a 50" plane, it sure is tiny . For those folks thinking of flying off grass, I would say probably not. The wheels are very small (1.75")

Hope this helps someone.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
Last edited by nioa; Aug 15, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:55 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
More flights on Don's Cirrus today .. and a few more photos to share!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
Just remember what I said earlier in the thread, keep it in close for orientation's sake and airspeed up just a little more than normal and you'll be fine. The plane is one of the BEST bargains for $150

John
N227CT is offline Find More Posts by N227CT