SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
Mine is doing ok. Looks like the air stream helps keep it on. As is this plane can't seem to do violent aerobatics that could make it fly off. Check the magnets for a parallel fit and scrape any glue off the faces. The closer they fit the stronger.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:39 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I finally think I have a nice damped nosewheel shock absorber design. I was going to machine it from aluminum but think I can do it with some plywood and two wing bolt brackets to save weight. I found a ball point pen spring with the perfect tension, next I need to work the air damping out. Soon, no more of that nose bounce-tail smack on rough ground. Or at least less of it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:42 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
So far, all looks good. Was just a little worried about the small magnets, but will try as it came out of the box.
Have now beefed up the front wheel bulkhead with some hardwood, put some glassfibre on the motormount and put a separat steering servo with metal gears in it. Hope this will do it...
Aussie64 is offline Find More Posts by Aussie64
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:44 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I have been doing ok with one HXT900 experimental nose servo. It is doing well and I have a metal gear servo on the way. Just don't land on the nose wheel but you all know how that goes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:46 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I like what the Russians say, Russian make airplane for all go wrong, not all go right.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Just don't want the nose wheel to flip over... think my setup will do ok in avoiding that
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I can warn you strongly, if there are any bumps of 3/4 inch or more, CG any farther back than 50mm will make the tail slam down hard and scuff the rudder. Then if you have any speed, it may jump up and fly again, stall, drag a wingtip then cartwheel. Be sure to force full down elevator as soon as the nosewheel touches. Not much time, so hope if not too fast, then as soon as it touches the ground.

Don't put so much concern for this plane, it's the game. Worry too much because it's beautiful , panick, and make a bad move. Above all do not loose your flying speed low to the ground. This plane (mine), has a sudden wing dropping stall.

Spend more than half of your first flight trying to fly it slowly, like landing speed.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Thanks for the advice, will keep this in mind. As this is not my first one, all will be good. At least I hope so... Have beefed up the fuselage quite a bit and reglued everything.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
One more thing, if you strike the prop, it will probably loosen the motor glue. When a long time of bad weather comes, I will drill through the front ring behind the prop spinner and thread for 2-56 screws to hold the motor mount in better. They need to be flathead so the motor can go over them.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Have already put a glassfibre ring in front of the motormount and reglued from the inside with epoxy with mixed-in chopped glassfibre. That should do it
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
KMP makes a gasser...very tempting.
do you have a link?
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
223 Posts
SR-22 Landing Gear Upgrade

Has anyone here added larger wheels to the nose and main gear of this airplane?

My nose near isnt that strong on grass.
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:05 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I talked to Great Planes, they said this plane is obviously meant for improved runways. My studies show for flying off grass it needs an air damped nosewheel spring and soft air filled tires. I am now in progress and will be working on the nose wheel shock absorber. I had planned a similar one before I found the above link to a spring nose wheel at Hobby Lobby, it is not air damped and needs the damper to complete it. The Hobby Lobby one is for a .30 plane and probably too big, another reason to make my own.

link and a little more studies at at post 280
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
223 Posts
Sr-22

I plan on removing the wheel fairings and replacing all wheels with larger tires.
I did take off somehow but on landing the nose gear bent in and the motor shaft snapped off with the propellor still attached.

The front servo area of the nose gear is weak and the wire gear isnt strong enough.

A paved runway would work for takeoff. My club has grass like most clubs and ground handling is not very good with this airplane if its rough.
ChrisFlysRC is offline Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:26 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,867 Posts
I'm trying to get to this nose wheel shock for us, I have been having an avalanche of problems lately.

Sorry to hear about the damage, but I do think it is plenty strong for some fairly hard landings, keep that nose up and plant it on the mains only. If you stall it and it hits nose wheel first, especially on rough fields, the nose wheel can dig in and snag.

I saw a full scale Cirrus flying today, ran in and got the binos. It was tricky to see the difference between the GP Cirrus and the full scale one, this model is accurate.