HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 04:38 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffinpdx View Post
Perchance the one who was co-designer/builder of the human powered aircraft that holds the world records for distance and duration? http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/pho...lus/index.html
No...sorry...not me! I did, however, invent the internet.
daedalusrobert is online now Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 05:33 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N227CT View Post
I picked the last one up
John
You got the last one? Oh no!!! I waited too long!! The last one has already been sold!! I hope they do another build.

John, how long before we get pictures, power system and a flight report?

Fredriksson
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Last edited by Fredriksson; Jul 05, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:38 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Is everyone using the suggested RimFire .10 or trying other power setups? I bought the plane, but debating the power.
OrlandoMike is offline Find More Posts by OrlandoMike
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:33 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Motor subs

So far I'm contemplating the Turnigy 35-36B 1300kv and Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 35-30 1400Kv. These are the closest to the Rimfire I can find at HobbyKing. They weigh in at 106g and 90g respectively. The GP 35-30-1250 weighs 71g. It has been my experience that the Turnigy motors seem to always be slightly less Kv then stated. The motor mount is probably just a hair off the Rimfire mounting pattern, I plan to order a motor for testing to get all the needed specs, both physically, and electrically.

I like the Turnigy Plush ESC's so I would go with a Turnigy Plush 40 controller.

I have two JR DS285 Digital Sub-Micro Servos that aren't being used for anything, so I would use them for the ailerons. Almost any micro servo like the Hitec HS-65HB can be used for the elevator and rudder (there is room to mount different sized servos in the fuselage). I have no experience with the ElectriFly ES50 Nano servo's, so I don't know how reliable they are. I never use cheap servos, I don't think in the long run they are worth the cost savings. Ball-bearings are also worth it as well.

Below I have some specs that I collected for the motor and the servos. If I didn't already have the JR servos, I would go with the HS-65HB's for the wings; they look like they would fit, but without the plane I can't tell for sure.

nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nioa; Jul 06, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Joined Dec 2009
41 Posts
Just saw this at the LHS

Last night I did a parts run to the LHS, I recently piled up a new Eflite RV-9. I was looking through the shelves for another RV-9 kit and I stumbled across this plane. It really caught my eye. I popped the top off the box, looks really clean and quality. But, since I have no experience outside Parkzone and Eflite I kept moving. But curiosity made me come here this morning to see what this thing is all about and now I wish I grabbed it! I have a 3536C Turnigy motor, 40amp Plush, and 2200 20C packs plus servos from my RV-9 that it looks like I could use. Based on what I am reading my power system would be a pretty close match. Since I don't have experience with this type of fuse/firewall, how does the motor mount? Is there a clean and simple way to mount the Turnigy motors?
AGeets is offline Find More Posts by AGeets
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
The Rimfire 10 motor has 19mm mounts center-to-center. If your Turnigy motor is on 19mm, then the motor would be a direct bolt in. The only issue would be shaft length. The SR-22 manual has a photo of the motor mount you can look at.

I will be receiving the Turnigy motors I mentioned in my last post some time early next week. I will test, measure, and share details.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 06:34 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
We flew ours both yesterday and today. It flies great but really seems to fly like it has a heavy wingloading. It's not a lead sled, but just seems a little heavy. With that said, there were no weird tendencies during landing configuration and is pretty easy to fly. Very fast with the rimfire .10 motor with straight up verticals til out of sight if we let it. My son built it in about 2.5hrs and it has Hitec 65's, Rhino 2250/40C 3S and a TB 54 ESC. He said the only thing he didn't like were the decals which were ridiculous to put on. It really looks scale when flying. The white all around also is relatively hard to see compared to most of our planes so keep it in close. Very pleased with the kit!

John
N227CT is offline Find More Posts by N227CT
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:12 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Thanks for the report John. From the specifications the wing loading is pretty high at 19-23 oz/sq. ft. MotoCalc said "With a wing loading of 19oz/sq.ft, a model of this size will have flying characteristics suited to an experienced pilot. The plane will fly fast, and be readily able to handle fairly strong winds.
". And that was based on the low end of the planes specified all up weight of 2.5 lb. (40oz.).

I am surprised at the power you experienced that the power system has. MotoCalc said the static thrust with the recommended 10x7E prop would be just under 40 oz. with at .99:1 thrust to weight ratio.

I am looking forward to nioa's report on how the Turnigy motor mounting matches up to the 19mm pattern on the Cirrus. I am thinking of going with the Turnigy 35-36B 1300kv motor with a 10x6 prop.

I will only be getting 1 plane and I am torn between this Cirrus and the E-Flite Taylorcraft 450. I love scale flying but like to add in some sport flying too. I know the Taylorcraft does scale and sport flying very well and it has a much lower wing loading. However, I really like tricycle landing gear and the Taylorcraft is a tail dragger.

Again, thanks for the report.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:35 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
I have both of these planes and like each of them. Before this plane, almost all of my planes were Horizon/Eflite/Hangar9 types. This was my first Great Planes/Electrifly and it is really a great kit.

The Taylorcraft is pretty fast considering it's an old timer and can do most of the simple aerobatics. The Cirrus, as mentioned before, is much faster and a little harder to see in the air. Each one
is uniquely different, a sleek state of the art GA composite plane or a Golden Era moderate speed slightly aerobatic old timer. Either way, you can't go wrong.

John

PS I'm trying to upload a picture, but it just sits there locked up
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Dec 2009
41 Posts
Construction

I too, have only owned E-flite or foamies. I am not familiar with this type of construction. Can you guys shed some light on the pros/cons of this vs traditional balsa? How durable is it, how about the strength of the landing gear? Also, could the fuse be painted to help it be more visible? I assume that a fiberglass type of construction could be sanded and painted?

Also, since this will be a possible replacement for my E-flite RV-9, how would this compare as a sport plane?
AGeets is offline Find More Posts by AGeets
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:02 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Feb 2007
333 Posts
I also own an EF RV-9. The RV-9 can be slowed down a little bit more due to its flaps. Otherwise, they fly very similar.

John
Old Jul 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredriksson View Post
.....I am looking forward to nioa's report on how the Turnigy motor mounting matches up to the 19mm pattern on the Cirrus. I am thinking of going with the Turnigy 35-36B 1300kv motor with a 10x6 prop. Freddy
I just received the Turnigy 35-36B 1300kv and Turnigy AerodriveXp SK Series 35-30 1400Kv Motors. These are the closest to the Rimfire I can find at HobbyKing. They weigh in at 106g and 90g respectively. The GP 35-30-1250 weighs 71g. It has been my experience that the Turnigy motors seem to always be slightly less Kv then stated.

The Rimfire 10 motor has a symmetrical 19 mm mount, center-to-center. 4 mm diameter shaft. The shaft length is 17mm.

The 35 series Turnigy motors have a 19 mm center-to-center mount and a 25mm center-to-center mount (see the attached image). 4 mm diameter shaft. The shaft on both motors is about 17.5 mm long.

Next up, I will do power testing of the motors, hopefully tonight or Saturday.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nioa; Jul 16, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:43 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Im looking to buy one of these potentially. Anyone think I can fly it well off a parkzone t-28 motor I have extra? I need it to be able to land in a baseball infield, no questions asked there. What do you guys think?
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:00 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,704 Posts
The stock PZ T28 motor is a 480 size motor I believe. The recommended motor for the Cirrus is the next one up in size, a 10 size motor. The manufacturer's video would lead me to conclude that this one is probably a little too fast for a baseball field? Just my opinion though.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:07 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
Oh the field is quite big, its just the landing area is an infield. I also have an turnigy 35-42d. Is that too big?
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die