Nice try!!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Chuckle, most of my gizmos work. I hope no one ran out and built one, turned their nose wheel in, and flipped. I'll do the test flights with the SG90 until my MG gets here.
I want a south wind so I get a longer clear approach for the first flight, so maybe in a few days. The storm may get here by then, it's always like that for a new build.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
I did the test flight this morning. I'm sad to say I wish I had bought this plane a few years ago. I spent a lot of time flying without the fun this one is.

I set it down on the grass runway, did my controls check and cleared the sky for takeoff. As it rolled perfectly down the runway it was like saying goodby to that beautiful lady, will I ever see her again ? Sure, she's like a world class lady in a silk dress gliding across the ball room, dancing gracefully and surely under the diamond chandelier.

This thing flies just great, I didn't need any aileron trim but did need two clicks of down, and on landing I found the elevator perfectly flat to the horizontal stabilizer. Aileron response seems to have a sort of built-in expo, not touchy around neutral but get it up just a bit and it rolls more than fast enough. Contrary to what the videos show, it is very suitable in all controls.

Now it is very fast, obviously very clean, I did a 5 1/2 minute flight on a 3S 2200 and came back with 3.94v/cell, way more than I expected, as long as you don't honk at full throttle all the time, you could probably expect to get close to a 10 minute scale style flight, maybe more.

Next I tried slow flight for the rest of the duration. It is nice and tame, don't worry but do be ready to add a noticeable increase in aileron deflection. Just settle down, don't worry about stalls, keep a reasonable speed, looks like about 25 mph, let it settle to the ground with a crack of power. It held a pretty high alpha and settled to the ground at about the same speed and distance as the Electrifly demo shows.

Not bad at all, but I guess God let me get a test flight in then the hurricane started showing it's approach, in a day or two it will be here, it got windy and gusty. I supposed we need to go through this hurricane remnant thing.

Don't let the appearance make you think it's an X-15, you don't need to land it like that. That was a worthles worry, I have a short field.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Oh, and the size is ok, it looked plenty sizeable , actually looks larger in the sky. Now it's decal time. Thinking of some black stripes on the bottom outer 1/4 of the wing.

Something like this :

Or now I'm thinking maybe they swirls meant for the wheel pants in the same orientation would fit the rest better. I wish I could buy them separately.
Last edited by Chophop; Aug 31, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,537 Posts
Nah......no stripes
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:43 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
The stripes stand out under clouds and haze. An unnatural pattern calls attention. It is a contrast to the design on the upper half, I think is too plain. But some 3D and sport planes look like a junk mail flyer.
I do need to make it stand out better in white sky and periods of snow on the ground.

I don't have the decals on yet so they will help.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
After a few flights, I came in to land and it bounced, cartwheeled, then flipped over. Crushed the canopy. I think I may make it a tail dragger, too bouncy. At the least it needs a tail wire to keep it from whacking the rudder on the ground when it hits a 1 inch bump.
I'll think it over, scale has last priority to survival.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:28 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
I'm thinking it's bouncy because I am running the CG at 60mm. It flies great there, makes nice landing flares, but I think on a trike I will need to keep a more forward CG to eliminate the tipsy on the mains problem.
I didn't land too fast, actually pretty slow. But as it rolls across the ground it really does a lot of nose bouncing.

As for the bounce on landing I examined the main gear shock and see it bows then snaps back, which tosses the plane back in the air. This one could use very soft tires.

I can hold my other planes 6 inches up, drop and little or no bounce. But the SR22 does bounce badly.

Well I only have a cracked windshield and a disabling mental wound. I will never outlive this horrible trama on this beautiful lady.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
I ahven't seen any talk of CG in these threads. Well, I'm used to tail draggers, you can set an aft CG and have the benefits on the ground and air. But this model ? No, forget the manual. I moved the CG from 60 to 50mm and it's almost acceptable about bounce, pluse rotation didn't seem to change.
According to the manual I can set the CG from 46 to 64mm. I think they roll and loop better aft but man these nose wheel planes just can't hack it any other way.

I might look at some dampened shock struts for the nose.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Here, something like this but able to work with an angled strut. Plus it needs an air damper and softer spring. Probably a .30 - .50 heli ball link would be good for the swing. As it is I think it may bounce even worse.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shock_abs..._1398_prd1.htm

And I do think on aerobat nose wheel planes, you could use a servo to slide the battery tray for stunts or landings. All sorts of fun for the fiddler. Aft cg for takeoff and stunts, flip a switch and fwd cg for landing or turbulence.
Last edited by Chophop; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:03 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Hey, it's doing pretty good with a 50mm cg. Looking at a wing like that, you'd think it would stall as soon as you lift the nose but I enter a high alpha by raising the nose with a little power and it gently flies along nose high waiting to ease the throttle down til it starts settling on the ground.

Looks like a mini jet with the spinner on.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Here's the nose gear shock absorber. Two 3mm stops, 2 ball point pen springs, and a slightly oversized servo rod stop hol. I mean only overbore it enough to allow the rod to slide back-forth without binding. Do not use the rod stop screw, it is supposed to slide.

Just set the nose gear straight, install, and adjust the springs to have enough tension to steer without flexing the springs. Best to glue the stops in place after finding the suitable tension. Or if they come loose you will loose nose gear steering.

Now if landing with the nose wheel cocked for x-wind etc., it will not jam the servo and strip gearsunless it's one terrible hit. I used an SG-90 because they are said to easily strip gears and the arm spline. I want to test this.

Just make a couple stops to prevent the nose wheel from turning too far. Works like a charm.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
The idea was to protect the servo. I decided metal gear servos should be ok.

Man this thing sure does track well. About like a .40 plane.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:15 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
I still get some nosewheel bounce at a 50mm cg but not nearly as bad as at 60mm. You can't go any farther back than 50mm on grass.
I talked to Hobbico, they do not claim responsibility for operation on grass. It is designed for a smooth runway.
So we are supposed to know now, a plane with a nose gear and wheel pants is for an improved runway.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:42 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Does anybody have issues with the canopy? Has anybody lost it in flight? The magnets seem not to be the strongest, so I am thinking about replacing them with stronger ones.
Any thoughts about this?
Aussie64 is offline Find More Posts by Aussie64