HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
Roll rate is pretty decent.
I've thought about taking the LG off and hand launching it....foes it have enough power?
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:55 AM
That Free Gas Weirdo Huh ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Just make it a tail dragger. Those skid in landings add up to a badly rashed plane and weeds snag the aileron stuff. More damage.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Just make it a tail dragger. Those skid in landings add up to a badly rashed plane and weeds snag the aileron stuff. More damage.
Ah thanks.
We don't have a very long runway so I was just looking for alternatives.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
A shock absorber can be easily made. Two sections of telescoping brass tube, slide something a bit more stiff than a ball point pen spring, or maybe two springs stacked. You'll need a washer at each end of the spring. The washers would be held by a pin soldered or maybe epoxied through the tubes.

If stacking springs a separator washer must be used to keep them from crawling up over each other.

There are other ways to make a spring shock absorber but the telescoping tubes look better. Won't weigh much id done well.

How short is your runway alex? I have about 125 feet.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
Why do we need a shock absorber?
I think it is 70ft i will check
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
The shock absorber is to keep from destroying servos and most else in the nose gear train. I would replace the nose gear pushrod with a double sprung shock.

Then again they may be hitting harder than normal.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
I have a separate nose gear MG servo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
I got the Cirrus in today. The build quality is far beyond that of any kit or ARF I have seen. It really does look very well or as they say precision built. The fuselage and wings are so true looking, it's like a million bux.

The only thing I don't like is I wish it were 48 inches long and 60 inch wing or scale to a 48 inch fuselage. Just needs a bit more size. The motor mount scares me, it is only glued on, I am thinking of four counter sunk 2-56 metal screws through the front flange. I'll double check but haven't heard of the motor mount coming loose.

Looks like my pitch speed will be about 77 mph, I hope this plane can take it. It sure is stiff enough, not floppy and looks strong enough, but we'll see how much slip there is due to drag. Well maybe not, I do not have an air speed indicator and telemetry or GPS.

Looks like you guys are honking down hard on that nose gear, it looks plenty strong to me. And as usual the wing holes need a bit of cleanup. The fiberglass is correct but the wood didn't seem to have been drilled out to full diameter.

The plane is a total wow, it's beautiful.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
Its great, aint it?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Yea it is, and about all rc planes come with a few bugs. Looks like the glue holds but the wood cracks. So I'll try the extra bit of hard plywood mod.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
Yep. I used popsicle sticks
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Popsicle sticks can be worse. They tend to warp and split, sometimes on their own, to split. Best to keep a small sheet of 1/16 and 1/32 hard plywood around.

I am finishing up a crash repair on my 54 inch Cessna so it may be Tuesday before I put it together. In processing of deciding on a 100g motor I already have. Larger motor have several reasons for being more efficient. The extra 25g on that mount may be the last straw.

One better idea on the motor mount screws, drill the holes from the front for access and counter sink them on the mount side if they don't clear the motor which is most likely. Then fill the hole in front of the flange and a dab of white paint. 1mm screws should be ok if available in flat head Phillips or hex head.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,603 Posts
I soaked them in epoxy if it makes a difference...

I really think the motor mount is fine.
I had the motor rip out on my, but you should see my airframe right now
Time for a new one.
Although IDK if I really want one.
I'd much rather get decals/graphics for my 3DHS Slick, along with a light kit and Futaba Graphix. I need new batts for my EPP, and would like to get a light kit for that as well.
And after all that, I'd want to save up for a gasser
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:53 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post

The motor mount scares me, it is only glued on, I am thinking of four counter sunk 2-56 metal screws through the front flange. I'll double check but haven't heard of the motor mount coming loose.

Looks like you guys are honking down hard on that nose gear, it looks plenty strong to me.

My motor mount did come off in flight. It was easy enough to fix though by gluing on a new piece of plywood but I mounted it on the front instead so it's glued and screwed on. The biggest problem I've had with this plane is the nose wheel mount breaking loose and the wheel locking up side ways causing the plane to flip over. I've had to re-inforce the whole mount quite a bit and it's finally holding up. It's a very nice looking and smooth flying plane, they just need to re-do the nose wheel mount (IMHO).
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Yea, I'm going to do something about that motor mount. I have a small Dremel chuck on a short rod, so I can get that up in to hand drill it out for some servo screws. It can sometimes be so slow to drill it makes me cry (joke). Since I don't have flat head screws, in order to fit the motor on flat, I'll need to carve some plywood to fit over the motor mount and have divits carved out where the screws are.

I guess then I can run the Power Up 480+ and either an APC 9x7.5E or 10x7E. It's a 100g about 400 watt motor, 1000 kv.