SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Hi guys,

Here is my Cirrus which flies in France, near Paris (a second French Cirrus ! ;-). You can see him during flight on this video :

Cirrus SR22 Turbo Great Planes EP in flight (1 min 29 sec)

Since this video, I have changed the motor for a new 1400 Kv/550 W with
70A ESC. (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_550W.html)

With this engine, it is very fast, with an autonomy varying from 6 to 7 minutes with a 3S 2200 mah battery.

Except a problem of precision in the landing gear - as everybody - and frequents bounces at landing, I am satisfied by this very beautiful plane.
Now I intend to add flaps for slower landing... It could be usefull !

(sorry for my poor english!)
Bertrand75 is offline Find More Posts by Bertrand75
Last edited by Bertrand75; Jul 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Nice!!
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jul 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Man thats fast...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:42 AM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Hi All,

I have this plane too and the nose gear seems to be the major weakness of this model. For me at least I had to remake the nose gear bulkhead out of 1/8" birch plywood and put a another doubler behind the steering block itself.

Next I make a pair of gussets, again from 1/8" plywood and mounted them along the battery tray floor from the small sub bulkhead below and near the leading edge to the nose gear bulkhead. Then I glued down some carbon fiber strands from the side gussets to the nose gear bulkhead.

These mods fixed the nose gear from breaking out the bulkhead. Now the only problem is the wire gear leg itself now bends backwards if the plane wanders into the grass while landing.

I like the way the plane flys but I would not recommend the plane to anyone that has to fly off grass or rough surfaces. Pavement is only marginally better due to the weak bulkhead material used in the model.

Good luck with your Model

Carlos G
Carlos G is offline Find More Posts by Carlos G
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Yeah I hate how it does that!!!! Cmon GP!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Carlos you're right, the nose gear is certainly beautiful, but badly conceived on this plane. In my case, the bulkhead has not caused me of problem yet but I preferred to reinforce it preventively with 2 triangles of plywood stuck perpendicularly in the engine compartment.

The real problem was that the plane didn't go straight at take off... It maintained the bend having put back to the neutral. The whole landing gear missed precision, it caused me some runway excursions ;-)

I have almost resolved it by changing the steering arm and simply putting back the front leg in vertical position, to reduce the large moment arm. The oblique position adds lot of problem...

It's also very usefull to stick on little bulkhead the tube of the steering push rod, in order to stiffen it. It prevents the gear leg to bend backward.
Last edited by Bertrand75; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
I use a separate servo for the steering. I used a cheapo 9G so I wouldn't hurt my futaba servo in there.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Initially I used a cheap 9g servo for both and It broke down at the second flight...
Now I use en ''big'' 19g Hitec HS-85MG
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Its metal gear.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
Its metal gear.
Yes, that's maybe why I have no problem now
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
East Midlands, UK
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
I've got the Ultrafly version of this bird that has yet to fly. The nose wheel looks to be even more vulnerable than the ones mentioned above.

Can someone confirm the control throws for me? The manual says:-
Elevator:+/- 9mm Exp 50%
Aileron: +/- 18mm Exp 30%
Rudder: +/- 20 mm Exp 20%

Don't want the first flight to be the last....
pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete View Post
I've got the Ultrafly version of this bird that has yet to fly. The nose wheel looks to be even more vulnerable than the ones mentioned above.

Can someone confirm the control throws for me? The manual says:-
Elevator:+/- 9mm Exp 50%
Aileron: +/- 18mm Exp 30%
Rudder: +/- 20 mm Exp 20%

Don't want the first flight to be the last....
Not sure we can be of much help-but if there is a thread for the ultrafly version I'm certain they'd be more than happy to help.
Alex
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:51 PM
East Midlands, UK
Joined Nov 2003
117 Posts
Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me. Both Ultrafly and Electrify (if that is the US version's name) are around the same size and have the same fibre glass fuz's. I suspect that one company makes the fuz and these two buy them and kit them out to sell. My Ultrafly has a wingspan of over 50" and having read reviews for but the US and UK market madel, there is very little between them.

I'd be interested to know the throws of the US market model anyway as that info wasn't given in the magazine reviews.

Pete
pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete View Post
Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me. Both Ultrafly and Electrify (if that is the US version's name) are around the same size and have the same fibre glass fuz's. I suspect that one company makes the fuz and these two buy them and kit them out to sell. My Ultrafly has a wingspan of over 50" and having read reviews for but the US and UK market madel, there is very little between them.

I'd be interested to know the throws of the US market model anyway as that info wasn't given in the magazine reviews.

Pete
Ok let me pull out my manual.....
I'm assuming you want the measurements in mm...
High rates: elevator 6mm, rudder 11mm, ailerons 11 mm

Low rates: elevator 3mm, rudder 6mm, ailerons 8mm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:45 AM
That Free Gas Weirdo Huh ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,551 Posts
I'm thinking of getting one and the nose gear problem is what I expected. So if I do I will convert it to a tail dragger. Plenty of room up front and it should be quick & easy. If anyone don't like the look, photoshop the photos. The tail wheel belongs on the tail anyway. All my planes must be tail draggers, I have a rocky field.

It is commonly said tail draggers have less drag, there may be speed increase. Also, would a servo saver help with the nose gear ?

How's the roll rate on this plane, the videos never show any fast rolls ?
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop