Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,527 Posts
Turnerm,

Great flying! Nice KE loop with the XP! The inverted pass with the T-28 looked great, and that 'textbook' full-flare mains landing was sweet! Also - you really greased the landing with the Beast.

You may get the idea that I'm a takeoff & landing type of guy - and you'd be right!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 06:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Thanks Joel! I feel like my flying is starting to progress.

I love shooting touch and go's and for a looong time that's all I did so I should have that down pat by now, although I do still have the occasional rough one!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 25, 2011, 07:35 AM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I flew the shee-ott out of my XP last night.
Five packs in a row, then the wife told me we had to GO, so she could watch Idol.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old May 25, 2011, 08:24 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro_pyro View Post
I flew the shee-ott out of my XP last night.
Five packs in a row, then the wife told me we had to GO, so she could watch Idol.
Is it good to fly that many batteries in a row?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old May 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Is it good to fly that many batteries in a row?
Yes, it feels great. I highly recommend it.

I don't buy this nonsense about cool-down. This suggests that the motor temps are constantly rising, which suggest a design fault with the motor and gears.

If the motor gets HOT, that means it's ready for a replacement. Yes, I fly the Suk at full throttle for most of the flight, over and over...
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old May 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Cheese,

Not just the elevator - has anything changed - aileron or rudder trim, CG, etc.? Also - check for any increased flex between elevator halves.

Also - if you're using aileron & rudder trim, I'd start over to be sure that you're not attempting to compensate for too much rudder trim by adding opposite aileron trim.

Joel
The elevator halves flex a little bit, and the right aileron droops a few degrees. The rudder is neutral and stiff. While flying I usually imput 3 clicks of right aileron. For the CG I've moved it back close to neutral. Now I can knife edge better with less pull to the canopy.

I'm going to fly again today, I'll try bending the right aileron back and see what happens. Something must be wrong with the airframe? Because I need to input a lot of left aileron (not just a tap, more like 1/3!) while looping inverted.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old May 25, 2011, 04:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Just got my 5043 prop put on the Sukhoi... can't wait to test it out later tonight when the wind dies down!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
The elevator halves flex a little bit, and the right aileron droops a few degrees. The rudder is neutral and stiff. While flying I usually imput 3 clicks of right aileron. For the CG I've moved it back close to neutral. Now I can knife edge better with less pull to the canopy.

I'm going to fly again today, I'll try bending the right aileron back and see what happens. Something must be wrong with the airframe? Because I need to input a lot of left aileron (not just a tap, more like 1/3!) while looping inverted.
Cheese,

Fix that aileron & see what happens. If that's not the problem (and it sounds like it probably isn't) then the airframe has most likely been tweaked.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 01:25 AM
Australia, SA, Ingle Farm
Joined Feb 2010
810 Posts
Ive just taken mine out again for a flight, its been a while... it kept pitching upwards falling to the right I brought it down, had a look at it. Looked what appeared to be on aileron dropping more then the other, no idea why. I managed to get it working properly again but had problems with the elevator still...

It appears that sometimes when I use the elevator it freezes, I was wondering why it kept pitching upwards and there wasnt anything I could do, it would come back eventually... although it didnt once and it went straight in. I have no idea why its doing this, is it totally buggered? Im sure there isnt an easy fix for it?

My 5043 props are on there way too, and I have my 180mah hyperions, now I have no plane to put it on... such is life.
AdMan is offline Find More Posts by AdMan
Old May 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Ive just taken mine out again for a flight, its been a while... it kept pitching upwards falling to the right I brought it down, had a look at it. Looked what appeared to be on aileron dropping more then the other, no idea why. I managed to get it working properly again but had problems with the elevator still...

It appears that sometimes when I use the elevator it freezes, I was wondering why it kept pitching upwards and there wasnt anything I could do, it would come back eventually... although it didnt once and it went straight in. I have no idea why its doing this, is it totally buggered? Im sure there isnt an easy fix for it?

My 5043 props are on there way too, and I have my 180mah hyperions, now I have no plane to put it on... such is life.
Check the control rod on the elevator. Is it binding? It should move freely. Also it could be the servo problem. It could be the wires not being connected, or some foriegn object inside the servo tracks.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,331 Posts
Quote:
Cheese,

Fix that aileron & see what happens. If that's not the problem (and it sounds like it probably isn't) then the airframe has most likely been tweaked.

Joel
Back from the flight, I fixed the aileron and now it rolls to the left with looping inside, and rolls right when you do an outside loop. I checked out a book and found that that problem was caused by the rudder. I'll straighten out the rudder and see what happens.
Old May 28, 2011, 01:19 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Above The Clouds

Wow, this little Um plane is absolute Bullet Proof! I went from champ to P51 /T-28 to mossie etc. Finally I broke down 2 months ago and went with this bird! Amazing.. It always is the first to fly. I learned inverted on her lol.. It was not easy at the start. bad brick. Horizon sent me new one in 3 days God-bless them! in the intrum I put in an old T-28 brick forgetting it was not a long throw servo. After my maiden at the local beach my wing servo was filled with fine sand, grrr. Off to the side with that servo and a new one from the T-28, all is well after much servo reversing on the Dx6i..look out seagulls I can keep up with ya.
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old May 28, 2011, 01:22 AM
keep on spinning!
Fort Lauderdale,Florida USA
Joined May 2010
131 Posts
Xp and red rocket hobbies

Oh yeah, I have been a fan of Red Rocket Hobbies but recently they have had a few lemons sent my way!? Will stick with Horizon and the free shipp'in to Fla..Another Xp is in order with sum Micro lights
N212LA is offline Find More Posts by N212LA
Old May 29, 2011, 08:07 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,527 Posts
Hatcam - flying the XP from my deck

Finally, a windless morning - and it's not raining! I decided to try some ROG takeoffs from my deck. 5043 prop w/Hyp 180 cell. #3 keychain cam attached to my hat.

The stock motor is on its way out. She's hitting SLVC when the 180s are at the 60% discharge point. Time for the SX motor transplant!

Joel

Hatcam - flying the Sukhoi XP from my deck (6 min 36 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 08:49 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Quote:
Finally, a windless morning - and it's not raining! I decided to try some ROG takeoffs from my deck. 5043 prop w/Hyp 180 cell. #3 keychain cam attached to my hat.

The stock motor is on its way out. She's hitting SLVC when the 180s are at the 60% discharge point. Time for the SX motor transplant!

Joel
Awesome backyard! And yes, I would say it did sound like you need a new motor. Nice video!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler