HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2011, 05:37 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
RG,

Great flying! The XP is also my go-to UM plane when it's windy. It's just such a great little plane in the wind - especially with the 5043 & decent batts. In higher winds, I really enjoy doing stationary snaps, rolls, KE, etc. into the wind with the plane right beside me @ 5-10' AGL. I'm hoping that the Sbach will be nearly as 'tossable' as the XP. With its SU-style symmetrical wing, it aught to be close.

Joel
Wow! I would't attempt flying that low when it is windy! The micros jump up and down while the winds blow. Sometimes the micro drops to the ground! I'm still sharpening my reflexes.
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2011, 06:21 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Wow! I would't attempt flying that low when it is windy! The micros jump up and down while the winds blow. Sometimes the micro drops to the ground! I'm still sharpening my reflexes.
When it's gusty, I usually don't fly that low. In a steady wind, the airplane doesn't know it's windy, so it's not a problem.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2011, 09:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Turnerm,

I fly all of my 8.5mm-motored UM planes on Hyperion's 180 & 240 mAh 'flat-pack' cells. I usually solder up my own, as they are lighter than Hyperion's pre-wired 'M' cells. However, the shrink-wrapped 'M' cells work fine.

They're a 'flat-pack' design, so they don't fit the narrow battery channel on the 1s UM planes. On the Champ & F4U - once I found the correct CG, I opened up the battery slot just enough to flush-mount the cells.

On the XP, I use RCBabbel's method of attaching a foam block to the cell that fits the stock battery slot. On one of my original Sukhois, I opened the slot up so I could flush-mount the 'flat-pack' cells. Was a big mistake. The cells needed to be at the rear of the slot to achieve a neutral CG. Widening the battery slot at that point severely compromised the structural rigidity of the empennage. I had to "surgically implant" some c/f strips to get the strength back. Hence, why I use the foam block method on my XPs.

The Hyp 180/240 + GWS 5043 prop combo really perks up the full-fuse planes that come with the "P-51 motor" (P-51, XP, T-28, F4U) - along with the original SU 26s & Champs that are running P-51 motors. Also a great combo when running the Nine Eagles Solo Pro motor (same power as the P-51 motor, but longer life) or the Bravo SX/P-47 motor (30% thrust increase over the P-51 motor w/stock prop).

Joel
These batts?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 09, 2011, 10:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
The link isn't working - but from the URL I can tell that it's the correct cell. If you want the plug & play Hyp 180 cell, get the LG325-0180-1S-M. If you want the plug & play 240, get the LG325-0240-1S-M.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 06:11 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
Here's the corrected URL.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old May 10, 2011, 06:36 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Thanks. Not sure what happened to my link... Did it from my iPad so I'm sure I messed something up but that was the link I was trying to use.

What sort of flying times can I expect from the 180's using the 5043 prop?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 10, 2011, 08:13 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Another very short video.... Still windy here, but still flying. You already know that the Sukhoi XP is not the easiest thing to hover, yes? Well, how about some sideway hovering.... Just shot that early this morning before the 15mph to 20mph forecasted wind really picked-up...

Parkzone Suhkoi XP sideway hovering (0 min 23 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks. Not sure what happened to my link... Did it from my iPad so I'm sure I messed something up but that was the link I was trying to use.

What sort of flying times can I expect from the 180's using the 5043 prop?

T,

Somewhere in the 7~9min range depending on flying style.

The perfect Suki power-to-weight flight combo that I've found.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 08:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Another very short video.... Still windy here, but still flying. You already know that the Sukhoi XP is not the easiest thing to hover, yes? Well, how about some sideway hovering.... Just shot that early this morning before the 15mph to 20mph forecasted wind really picked-up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMUYuqUvUnI
Those are fun to do. When the sukhoi xp starts to drop its nose, its out of the hover. To hover the sukhoi xp you will need very fast thumbs.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
I have really gotta buy myself one of these. The windy flights are selling me.
Old May 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I have really gotta buy myself one of these. The windy flights are selling me.
Wait for the Sbach if you can. It has more power and should do better in the wind. Plus there are no brushes to wear out.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Wait for the Sbach if you can. It has more power and should do better in the wind. Plus there are no brushes to wear out.
Maybe the XP prices will go down?
Old May 11, 2011, 06:34 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Maybe the XP prices will go down?
Maybe, but if it does, it won't be by much.... It's probably the best brushed UM for outside right now.

And no matter what, the Sbach will be $169 while the Sukhoi is $99. Batteries will be more expensive. Even if you change the brushed motor 10 times, if you're buying the cheap SP motors, that would be about 1500 flights and you'll still have paid less than the Sbach... Sure enough, if you can wait, the Sbach is the ticket. But if you want to fly a great plane right now, don't overlook the XP...

That being said, I'll still buy the Sbach myself. But since I'm buying all the UMs HH is making, that doesn't mean much!
Old May 11, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,640 Posts
Some of the HH UM's seem soooooo flimsy, though. That's what scares me.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:35 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Some of the HH UM's seem soooooo flimsy, though. That's what scares me.
Nothing flimsy about HH UMs. They just get better, and better, and better, but even the oldest ones are great. They all have little quirks, but hey, for a great flying out of the box experience, they are hard to beat. And the beauty of UMs is the fact that they are so light, that usually, they can take some crashes and survive (while it could be costly on a much larger plane).