SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondiehl View Post
Yikes. This thing is nowhere near ready to fly out of the box like the 4-site I bought a few weeks ago.

I dialed in the suggested DR/Expo settings from the manual into my DX7 and without even taking it outside, I could see that there's clearly not enough elevator travel. It barely moves, even on the full 3D setting, maxed out.

I moved the elevator pushrod to the bottom hole, as the manual suggests, but it still looks like barely any throw.

The other problem that I noticed is that the rudder servo doesn't respond to my Tx every time. I can push it full left and get nothing, and the full right and it responds, and then works both directions again. UGH

Charged the battery, mounted it around the center of the velcro strip and went outside... very little wind.

3 hand launches into the sky, each time the thing was so spastic that I couldn't straighten it out before plowing into the soft grass. Very very touchy, even with dual rates and expo on normal and 3D.

I think I'll shelve it for a week or two and go back to flying my Trex 450 and 250 until the community here gets this thing dialed in with some tweaks for more stable performance.

The 4-site flied balanced and perfect right out of the box. Hell, I didn't even have to do sub-trim on that thing, the control surfaces were locked in right when I bound it with a new profile in the DX7. I had the same high expectations with this Parkzone product (my first), as my E-flite foaming was doing hovers for me on the maiden flight.
Odd, mine flew perfectly out of the box. I agree the elevator didn't look like it moved much, but on the 'stock' setting mine had plenty of elevator authority, it looped fast, even though I expected it not to. I don't use any DR/EXPO, and it flew just fine! I do suggest expo on at least the ailerons for people not used to such a 'twitchy' plane. Once you get the hang of it, it is very smooth and easy.

As for the rudder, not sure why that is happening.

I also flew my 4-site (micro and full size) yesterday. They fly nice and slow, but the speed of the sukhoi is more fun to me
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:40 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Mine flew right out of the box too.. I did read the book, and dialed in the expo/DR set-up, for standard settings.. which I found decent for the initial flights.. and it was still very quick and agile. I never even came anywhere near crashing it...which is exactly what I was trying to avoid.
It does seem fairly durable, considering the videos I've seen, and the plane continuously pummeling the ground, as someone "tries" to fly.. with no expo... pretty funny, but actually a good test of strength too..as the plane did stuff itself pretty good.. and just kept on flying.. haha..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Mine flew right out of the box too.. I did read the book, and dialed in the expo/DR set-up, for standard settings.. which I found decent for the initial flights.. and it was still very quick and agile. I never even came anywhere near crashing it...which is exactly what I was trying to avoid.
It does seem fairly durable, considering the videos I've seen, and the plane continuously pummeling the ground, as someone "tries" to fly.. with no expo... pretty funny, but actually a good test of strength too..as the plane did stuff itself pretty good.. and just kept on flying.. haha..
Hehe, I don't use DR or Expo and I haven't crashed ;p I duno, DR/EXPO just bug me, they mess up my mind lol. I have gotten so used to flying without it(I have never used expo) that now I am too used to touchy controls, so my fingers are very good at making the correct tiny movements. When I did try expo, it was way to sluggish for my likeing.

But, I learned 4ch planes on the original sukhoi! So I guess that helped me get used to it! I admit, my first original sukhoi busted after about 20 flights, but my 2nd sukhoi is as good as new and my new su-26xp hasn't had any hard crashes in over 15 flights
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:17 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Expo is a great tool to use.. I agree though, it does take away some of the "feel"... there's planes though that you wouldn't fly without it.
I was surprised though at the response this small aircraft has.. and expo does soften the controls significantly... which for some types of flying is very necessary, as it does make it much easier to guide the plane around.
I flew RC before exponential adjustment was even available, back then though, planes were'nt as capable, and didn't require it to obtain "out of the envelope" flying.. but when you fly pattern, or IMAC competition, and you need a solid consistent control in all aspects of your flight.. expo and d/r play a big part in achieving that.
I might fly my Sukhoi tomorrow for a bit.. hopefully the winds will be light, or non-existant.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:37 AM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I just got mine. Being impatient, I just peeled the velcro off the included cell and stuck in on a charged one down the block from the lhs, although it was pretty windy, enough so I could land it on the trunk of my car with zero forward speed Definitely for near zero wind conditions. At least it has enough power its easy to zoom up and out of trouble. Hopefully we will get some dead air so I can crank up the throws and get some time in with it.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:37 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
Expo is a great tool to use.. I agree though, it does take away some of the "feel"... there's planes though that you wouldn't fly without it.
I was surprised though at the response this small aircraft has.. and expo does soften the controls significantly... which for some types of flying is very necessary, as it does make it much easier to guide the plane around.
I flew RC before exponential adjustment was even available, back then though, planes were'nt as capable, and didn't require it to obtain "out of the envelope" flying.. but when you fly pattern, or IMAC competition, and you need a solid consistent control in all aspects of your flight.. expo and d/r play a big part in achieving that.
I might fly my Sukhoi tomorrow for a bit.. hopefully the winds will be light, or non-existant.
DG,

I lived in Vegas for 20 years and owned my own business. I would fly slimers at the dry lake bed, during the week, when I could fly alone.
One afternoon, Quique Somenzini and his flight team pulled up to practice for the upcoming TOC. Yep, I got to spend the afternoon with him and was shocked to find out that he used no mixes, dual rates or expo. Said that 'he' wanted to do the flying and didn't like to rely on any Tx crutches. I still smile to this day when I see guys asking for the magical mixes that will make all their skills perfect.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
DG,

I lived in Vegas for 20 years and owned my own business. I would fly slimers at the dry lake bed, during the week, when I could fly alone.
One afternoon, Quique Somenzini and his flight team pulled up to practice for the upcoming TOC. Yep, I got to spend the afternoon with him and was shocked to find out that he used no mixes, dual rates or expo. Said that 'he' wanted to do the flying and didn't like to rely on any Tx crutches. I still smile to this day when I see guys asking for the magical mixes that will make all their skills perfect.

rc
Hi BABBEL.. that's a great story.. and sounds like some great times...along with some great experienced advice. Quique is a natural I'm sure at flying most any plane, and I'm sure would adapt to it almost instantly.

In my experience some of todays planes are inherently designed for such talent and experience... what expo does for me is gives that softer feel, and allows a tad more reaction time.. something I can use for my style of flying.
It does that "without" removing full deflection manuevers, that require everything that particular control surface can deliver.. when full stick is applied. I guarantee expo has nothing to do with how manueverable my aircraft can be.

When I fly my planes... its ME flying them.. regardless .. LOL.. I've just got a few parameters set differently.. for my skills and enjoyment.. so its not for everybody.. and its all good.. I appreciate your sharing that story though for sure.. it sounds like it was a great experience, as I'm SURE it was.. good stuff man.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:56 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,414 Posts
Ok seeing as we can't decide on one thread guess i better post this here too for those that don't know about the other thread

please enjoy if you haven't already seen it

Ok well the weather was supreme today with only a breath of wind with pockets of gusts, but really nice for my second flight of the Sukhoi-26xp as promised my son came out with me and although he had to sit on the ground, due to the broken leg still got some really nice footage of the Sukhoi-26xp "Doing It's Stuff!"

i firstly had a fly of the j-3 Cub as it had been a while and this weather was great i then flew the pants off the P-51 to warm up the brain for the 2nd flight of the su-26xp

the wind was calm then would have little gusts which after a few minutes of doing some maneuvers, i got a little "Klacker Factor" so landed hahahaha wow you really have to concentrate on flying this baby

i put 1 more flight on the board with the su-26xp had a fly of my sons HZ Champ then we called it a day, my son had 3 flights of his Champ which i filmed and will post later tonight

anyway enjoy the majesty of this great plane

Horizon Hobby take a bow, WELL DONE! on this updated plane

cheers chuck

SU-26xp Chucks 2nd Flight.mp4 (2 min 44 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:32 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling1984 View Post
Hehe, I don't use DR or Expo and I haven't crashed ;p I duno, DR/EXPO just bug me, they mess up my mind lol. I have gotten so used to flying without it(I have never used expo) that now I am too used to touchy controls, so my fingers are very good at making the correct tiny movements. When I did try expo, it was way to sluggish for my likeing.

But, I learned 4ch planes on the original sukhoi! So I guess that helped me get used to it! I admit, my first original sukhoi busted after about 20 flights, but my 2nd sukhoi is as good as new and my new su-26xp hasn't had any hard crashes in over 15 flights
I agree, the settings in the manual were a little sluggish for me to. I backed them way off. I love the sensitivity of this plane. I guess that it comes from flying heli's where you need to use tiny stick inputs to fly smooth.
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:49 AM
Once-ler
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
You guys must be much better pilots than I...3 flights in and I have all the throws set to 60% and 40% expo, but I haven't killed it yet. Technology is my friend...my flying skills often aren't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humveeflyer View Post
I agree, the settings in the manual were a little sluggish for me to. I backed them way off. I love the sensitivity of this plane. I guess that it comes from flying heli's where you need to use tiny stick inputs to fly smooth.
jmrust is offline Find More Posts by jmrust
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:23 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,143 Posts
Question for you owners (hope to be one soon myself...)

I haven't seen any talk of changing the prop.
Is everyone flying bone stock so far?
Has anyone tried one of the GWS props that was recommended
for the V1 Sukhoi??
Elisecat is online now Find More Posts by Elisecat
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:56 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrust View Post
You guys must be much better pilots than I...3 flights in and I have all the throws set to 60% and 40% expo, but I haven't killed it yet. Technology is my friend...my flying skills often aren't.
I don't know how much better I am...just a novice...but I guess that my heli flying has helped a lot. On a heli you have to get used to tiny stick inputs to fly smooth, so transitioning to the sukhoi wasn't that hard. I still have my share of crashes, you should see all of the repairs on my v2, but that is from trying new things. I just found that the settings in the manual to be too soft, but that is just me. I love how responsive the sukhoi is, even over the p-51, which I love too.

There is nothing wrong with adding expo to calm things down, especially when learning. I think that as you progress you will use less and less expo. It really is a lot of fun to see how well this plane maneuvers.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:59 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post

for the V1 Sukhoi??
I may have to try one. I have only 6 or 7 flights on it and I thought that the stock prop performed well. I have an extra 5043 to put on.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
has anyone put a brushless on this yet? any links to which motor/esc to use?
i'm clueless as two what size motor and kv rating would be good for it.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisecat View Post

for the V1 Sukhoi??
I've just been flying the stock prop and it performs very well....a huge improvement over the prop on the original (which I replaced with the GWS 5043) and it seems to be very ding resistant as well. I've struck the prop on mine several times on the asphalt in my cul-de-sac and other than a few scratches I'm still using the one that came on it.

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777