HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
CK,

The DX 6i will work fine with the XP. And, yes - if you're profficient with the P-51, you should be able to handle the XP with it dialed-down a bit. The key to wind penetration with the Sukhoi is CG placement. I often fly mine in 15+ MPH winds. I just move the CG forward a bit to ~34mm, and she penetrates the wind like an arrow. The 5043 prop really helps, as she can fly 40+ MPH @ WOT with that prop and a good battery, such as the Hyperion 160, 180, or 240.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:06 PM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
814 Posts
ckreef,

You definitely want to get the dx6i for the Sukhoi. If you want to save a few bucks you may want to see if you can find the V2 Sukhoi. It is actually a pretty good flier with the GWS 5043 prop and you may be able to find some cheap.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
Spent the night in a tree... ailerons got reversed.
I am now about 99% sure that some how after spending the night in a tree the ailerons got reversed on the plane. It was not a Tx issue. As I remember my friends Mustang had the same set up as the XP and his ailerons are not reversed on his DX7. I had to reverse them on my DX7 after it spent the night in the tree.

Can anyone confirm the stock aileron setting? Nothing was unplugged on the plane and I don't recall seeing a switch anywhere. I don't want to take it apart again now that I have it taped together well.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:47 PM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,030 Posts
My PZ Micro-Mustang spent a night in a tree on it's maiden voyage last year....I thought it was going to be toast but it was fine, just a little beat up.....No reverse issues though
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:12 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
ckreef,

You definitely want to get the dx6i for the Sukhoi. If you want to save a few bucks you may want to see if you can find the V2 Sukhoi. It is actually a pretty good flier with the GWS 5043 prop and you may be able to find some cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
The DX5 is better than stock Tx more precise and also more range but have not model memory and need rebinding and trim for every model.
The biggest limit is no expo. Without expo is very difficult to fly the sukhoi with hi rates. With expo i see no difference in difficult between sukhoi and other 4-ch planes like Mustang. And also the Mustang benefits from expo and fly a lot easier. I think the DX6i is perfect unless you have more than 10 models then the DX7i with 20 model memory which can also increase witch a external memory card.

The DX5 has to retrim,but I set all my micro trims at neutral(control rods). BUT, If you have the money for the DX6i GO for it! I didn't have that amount of money when I started this hobby. But I'm in love with airplanes and I'm sure everyone else on RCGroups is right? So even with a small budget I still bought micros to fly. So if you have the money go for the DX6i.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:04 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
The DX5 has to retrim,but I set all my micro trims at neutral(control rods). BUT, If you have the money for the DX6i GO for it! I didn't have that amount of money when I started this hobby. But I'm in love with airplanes and I'm sure everyone else on RCGroups is right? So even with a small budget I still bought micros to fly. So if you have the money go for the DX6i.
Like you money is a little tight at the moment. I have 2 choices ---

DX5e and XP this weekend or ---

DX6i this weekend and XP in a few weeks.

I think I am going for the DX6i this weekend and just wait it out for a few weeks to get the XP. Might serve my longer term goals and novice pilot status a little better.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This was the type of information and debate I was looking for.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:15 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreef View Post

I think I am going for the DX6i this weekend and just wait it out for a few weeks to get the XP. Might serve my longer term goals and novice pilot status a little better.

Thanks everyone for the replies. This was the type of information and debate I was looking for.
good choice, you will not be disappointed the DX6i will serve you well

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:21 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,278 Posts
Go for DX6i. Since you only have to wait a few weeks. I had to wait half a year for that money! So I went with your first choice. DX6i if you can buy it, a weeks is not that long.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:48 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
CK,

I echo the sentiments of the others. When you look back on it, you will be glad that you opted for the better radio. Besides - the XP is well worth the wait.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:39 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
Flying the XP in my new backyard!

Just moved into my new home! I decided to christen the place with an XP flight in my new backyard.

First flight of my Sukhoi XP in my new backyard! (6 min 57 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 11:08 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Just moved into my new home! I decided to christen the place with an XP flight in my new backyard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hl8GZ3raTs

Joel

Nice Joel...

Are you 'officially spoiled' now?

Reminds me a lot of my front yard field with all the trees.

Ever given much thought to the UM 4-site?

Looks like the perfect setting for it to me.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:51 PM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,665 Posts
Nice flying field, Joel! I really enjoyed it,
humveeflyer is offline Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:24 PM
Noob Flyer
NE
Joined Aug 2010
12 Posts
I wish I could fly my Sukhoi that well! Very well done sir.
JJFrigle is offline Find More Posts by JJFrigle
Old Sep 02, 2010, 04:31 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Joel
A few tips!

- Turn off auto focus on the video camera. You're flying so far away, you can set the focus manually to infinite, and it will be much better. It may only get out of focus if you land at your feet, but still much better than out of focus so many times!

- Best even, keep the plane closer. (Yes, I know, you were exited by such a large backyard, I know I would have been too!) Your cameraman will have an easier job following the plane, and won't need to zoom for it. If you still turn off autofocus, you may have to set it to something like 20 to 30ft. (particularly if it's not sunny)

- Tell your cameraman to use the video camera like a gun! He cannot use the viewer, or the LCD display! You aim with the top corner of the camera, which you hold at arm lenght (a bit like a pistol, but holding the bottom of the camera in it's hand). This way, he can still see the whole field, not just where he is filming. It's much easier to follow a plane that way. He can still play with the zoom, while monitoring the LCD display if his eyesight is decent and the sun doesn't put too much glare on it. You could literally add some "gun sight" on a camera to help the cameraman.

Very nice backyard!
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:05 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,175 Posts
RG,

Was a down 'n dirty quick video just to capture my first flight at my new place. We weren't going for the technical side of videography. Check my other clips and you'll see better footage. Forgot to set manual focus for the first flight. Notice that the cam was in manual focus for the second flight. I was flying the periphery of my yard on purpose so that one could get a feel for the size of it. Regarding the arms-length shooting method - yes, that works well at lower zoom when the ambient light isn't washing-out the LCD. It doesn't work very well at higher zoom however, as you lose the intermediate arm support that helps steady the cam.

When I'm shooting, I typically use the viewfinder, as the LCD is usually too washed-out to be of much use from an arm's-length away. I pull my elbows tight to my sides for support, and then I pan & tilt from the hip/torso. Combined with the gyroscopic image stabilizer, this allows me to shoot at high-zoom while staying reasonably smooth.

And yeah - I'm lovin' the yard. Plenty of room for flying electrics up to around 15-size, or so. I'm thinking about putting down a hard-surface mini-runway in the north yard for small electrics/helis.

Joel
RCG Plus Member